U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Why have you left Michigan, or why will you be leaving?
Can't find a job 91 60.26%
Can't stand another Michigan winter 57 37.75%
Can't stand Michigan's political and fiscal mess 50 33.11%
Need a new state to complain about 6 3.97%
Can't stand my surroundings--traffic, people, crime, or other 27 17.88%
Can't live without my family, and they've moved away from Michigan 10 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Location: Kimball Township (or Smith's Creek) in Marysville school district.
5 posts, read 15,915 times
I've just spent the last hour reading this forum and I've tears running down my face. I LOVE Michigan, I really do. I've raised four children here and have some wonderful memories. Two years ago, we bought land in Smiths Creek (near Port Huron), cleared trees ourselves for two summers and managed to build a modest 1700 sf ranch on 2 1/2 wooded acres. It is beautiful. We thought "All was well" until this last January when my husband called from work and announced his plant was closing. Since January, he's tried to live in TN but we couldn't sell the house (and that was for 30k less then it's appraisal in late 2005!) We're hanging on by a thread and as much as we'd like to remain here, I just can't see it happening. My husband is a Journeyman Toolmaker. He's found piece meal work through the temp agencies and has come to discover that a lot of companies are hiring this way so as to not pay for benefits. You ask why folks are leaving Michigan.... Personally I'd like to hear why we should do everything in our power to stay? We'd thought about going back to school but most two-year programs are FILLED to the max not to mention the increased cost of tuition. I'd like to hear creative ideas for how does a person 'make it' when the jobs are so hard to come by and what are available pay sub-standard wages?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:01 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,337,740 times
JennFromMichigan, I can't say it will get better...but you ARE among people who do understand.

IF your husband can find work that will give you enough income to pay two mortgages, then close up that house and hold on to it. Maybe you will be able to come back some day or use it as a vacation home.

My husband and I decided to basically close up our house there...after all, we could either pay two of everything and live in two spots while he works or close one up and pay the minimal on the house in MI and live together while we try to sell. And I'm kinda partial to living with him.

But we do understand how it feels to be in your shoes. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 PM

18 posts, read 32,519 times
JennFromMichigan,

I am so sorry about your situation. Even though I don't want to remain here, I feel that the people who do should. Have you and your husband considered maybe a home-based business? If you have any special talents or expertise you could do it. You'd be amazed at how diverse new businesses are these days! The start up costs in Michigan are not that high or you could start it in TN and maybe one day relocate back here. Also maybe you and your husband could rent out your house to help or maybe your family could rent for a while to save up.
Your story is sad and is part of the reason why I don't feel comfortable raising my son here - so many lay-offs and cut backs.
I wish you good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Location: Kimball Township (or Smith's Creek) in Marysville school district.
5 posts, read 15,915 times
Thanks for the quick responses Southernlady 5464 and twill. Simply put, I needed to vent. My DH did take a job in Tullahoma, TN but stayed less then a week after really thinking about what MIGHT happen if we didn't sell our house here in Michigan. We'd thought about simply closing up the house but things like "Who will cut the 1 1/2 acres of lawn or Would it be safe to leave a home vacant with a brand new A/C, Furnace and water heater that'd be easy to steal? Yes, we have considered renting it out or even a rent with an option to buy. The problem is, competition is stiff for anyone who's trying to sell a house here. I just told my husband that I think we should quit looking for work and put our energy into selling the house. If we sell it, then we can play "Pin the tail on the map" with where else to go. The best thing to have come from this is that I've finally decided to return to school and I'm gonna get that degree before I turn 50! Unfortunately, like I'd previously posted, I need to get out of Michigan for that too! <argh> Just to top it all off, I think my little 7 1/2 month old naughty doggie got my female pregnant... what next?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:57 AM

286 posts, read 1,141,791 times
Jenn, I feel your pain and know your situation well. We were suppose to build our modest cape cod on our property last year but opted not to go through with the build when we couldn't guarantee the building mortgage would be paid. The only thing I can suggest on leaving the house is have someone watch over it. Either trust it with family members or neighbors that you feel you can trust (and throw them some gas money every month for their efforts) or get it signed up with some sort of security agency and/or property management company (who can then arrange for the lawn to get mowed, etc). And if the house is insured, any damage to the property would be covered (and I'm sure you'd get a discount on your rates if it was with a security company).

Home based business is a great idea if you can get it off the ground. We got ours off the ground and actually made it month to month. But, came across entirely too many people that wanted something for nothing, and because we were an on-site service provider, the cost of fuel started getting out of control. We wanted to keep our price competitive and that is rough when you have to start passing the increased fuel expenses on to the customer. We were making our bills on a month to month basis, but it was high stress when the phone wasn't ringing plus not having any medical coverage. The last straw was my husband (who provided the work done) ended up in the ER with a severe ulcer complication, and we both knew things had to change. You can make either staying or going happen if you decide to do so. It may mean your lifestyle has to be down graded in both cases, especially if you do relocate because you will be paying housing expenses in two locations. Best wishes to you and your DH!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM

58 posts, read 170,653 times
Jenn: One small idea for school: if you know what you are going to get your degree in, and especially if you are starting from square one, you could take a couple of the gen ed courses online through one of the state unis or one of the community colleges. Almost all of the public universities offer online courses now, especially the general education courses that all students are required to take. Provided you take these courses at one of the public unis, the credits will almost always transfer to a state university elsewhere (confirm this with the college before enrolling). While this certainly doesn't solve the larger problems you're dealing with, it might help you to be able to get up and running on one of them. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM

70 posts, read 197,972 times
Default leaving because...

No well paying teaching jobs... if teaching jobs at all. May as well move for a few years to get a good salary and pay off my student debt then come back, hopefully. The only bad thing is the higher cost of living in most states...

Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM

430 posts, read 800,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/p20-550.pdf

Actually TX is listed at #50 for graduation.

And since MANY states do not use the SAT it is impossible to be #50 on that one, about half the country administers the AP exam. Liz
Texas is probably 50th because we have so many illegals streaming over from Central America and, unfortunately, not enough of them go further north than Texas. I think the graduation rate of the Dallas school district is somewhere around 40%. Are kids dropping out because they have to work to support their families? No, they're dropping out because they're very short sighted and have parents who have no sense and/or no control over their kids.

I've been thinking about moving to Michigan because I went to grad school there and actually like the state. People made fun of me because I was (and am) proud of being a Texan despite our issues. I never heard anyone say or even imply that they were proud of being from Michigan. Most of my friends couldn't wait to leave. Are you proud to tell people that you're from Michigan? If not, why not?

If this thread has confirmed anything it's that you all depend way too much on the auto industry. How long did people think that cash cow was going to be around especially when they built such terrible cars a couple decades back? And then the unions somehow suckered management into these crazy CBAs. I heard that layed off auto workers were still taking home a substantial income, like 80-90% of their income. Don't know if that's true but that convinced me that unions sucked the life out of companies. I felt no pity for picketers outside of Kroger back in the day. That actually made me want to shop there all the more. Can someone please tell me why unions are still necessary? Did big, bad management take advantage of you? Grow up and quit hiding behind the unions! The rest of us in other states manage to keep jobs without the backing from Papa Union.

By the way, I do drive an Explorer and, except for a short period when I borrowed my brother's Accord in college, have always driven American cars. Mostly just because of what was available at the time but Detroit-based cars nevertheless. Remind me to tell you about the time when I drove my dad's hand-me-down company car that was a 7 year old '79 Mustang with a stick that popped out of gear when put in first more often than not. What a deathtrap!! Didn't keep that car for very long. Scary!!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,337,740 times
Quote:
By the way, I do drive an Explorer and, except for a short period when I borrowed my brother's Accord in college, have always driven American cars.
How American is that car?

Ford Motor Ford Explorer 2007 80% Ky.

That Ford Explorer is only 80% American made, unfortunately. Liz

Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM

12 posts, read 35,853 times
hi, i'm in the process of leaving the great water blunder land state of michigan for the backwoods state of alabama. the taxes and insurance on my new home are 1/3 of mich. i worked for trw until the great blackstone parasites acquired us. now the retirement and insurance is quickly eroding good luck jeniffer g. you were handed a bag full of crap and now everyone wants to hold you accountable..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan