Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 10,378 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job in SW Michigan. I have 3 young girls(8,7,4). How is the area for younger families? We have a fairly active lifestyle and I'm concerned that life there will be dull ... we currently live in Philadelphia although we aren't native Northeasterners. We are particularly big Tennis players. Are there ANY tennis leagues in the area? How is the competition??

How are the schools? Are there good private schools or do the public ones do a fantastic job there? What are the more affluent areas to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:44 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Go north. Gull Lake area is where you want to locate. Its the best small lake in South Michigan. Very nice homes in the area also. Thats where all the legal drug money is , around Kazoo. Its also quite rural , but Hickory Corners and Richland ,Gull Lake, are nice places to raise your family, and its only minutes to the city.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,772 times
Kalamazoo is the major hub of the area (not counting Grand Rapids to the North). Western Michigan attracts a lot of national speakers and acts. Kalamazoo College hosts the USTA tournament every summer. There are a lot of festivals in the summer and their First Night on New Years Eve is always a blast.

If you move w/in the city of Kalamazoo, they have the Promise Scholarship that pays for 4 years of college (but the kids have to attend school in the city of Kalamazoo and live there). If I were to move back to Kalamazoo (city), then I'd try to get a house in the Stuart or Winchell area. The Stuart neighborhood is near the university and downtown w/all the old houses. Winchell is known for being a solid, affluent neighborhood.

For schools, I'd also consider Portage. Most of the other school districts in the area are good, but not great and limited in what they offer - as they are smaller town schools. I went to one of the smaller districts in the area and always wanted to be in Portage or Kalamazoo because they offered more activities and language choices. I'd also check out the private schools.

Portage, Oshtemo, Schoolcraft - are the cities that come to mind in terms of affluent/nice areas. I haven't actually lived in the area for awhile now, but every time I go back it seems like there is more on Westnedge (one of the major streets in the city) than there even 5 years ago. A lot more ethnic restaurants, chains, etc.

And usually if you can't find something in Kalamazoo, then you can find it in Grand Rapids (which is the 2nd largest city in MI). And GR is less than an hour away. And if it's not in Grand Rapids, it's in Metro Detroit. And while Kalamazoo/GR have minor league teams, if you want sports, Detroit has the Tigers, Red Wings (and, yes, the Lions).

I miss Kalamazoo/Battle Creek a lot because I grew up and stayed for college. There are definitely advantages/disadvantages to a smaller city. However, in Kalamazoo - every where you want to go is usually a 15-20 minute drive and the pace of life is a lot slower.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM

117 posts, read 367,693 times
Portage is a good place for families in my opinion. I lived there and liked it.
The reality is that Kalamazoo is not going to have as much action as a place like Philadelphia. I have to admit that during the winter there I did get kind of bored. However spring/summer/fall there is quite pleasant, especially if you enjoy the outdoors or the festivals downtown. There is a bit of a hippie/artsy community in the area that makes it more interesting than most places its size. The college culture also livens things up. Kazoo has its charms.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM

238 posts, read 742,781 times
I've lived in BC and the Zoo. For activity, entertainment and family living; Kalamazoo would be the choice over the two. With WMU and K College there'll be plenty to see and do whether the family enjoys sports or the arts. There are the lakes, the restaurants and shopping. It's a matter of finding the right house in the proximity to what you want for the family.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM

25 posts, read 60,831 times
Beware of Kalamazoo Schools. Check out Plainwell, Allegan and Augusta.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 20,687 times
Default bd - have you moved?

Have you moved yet? What did you find? We are also considering a move to the portage-kzoo area from the Philadelphia area and I'd love to hear what you have found, like/dislike, schools, etc. I have 3 boys 5 and under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan