Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
You're telling me.

I have a recliner, and a bank of windows looking over the bank down to the river, and this old growth forest. WOW.

This will be an amazing story when it's done. Not sure who here is of the Christian persuasion, but since I am, I'll say I think He meant for us to be here. The way the right resources have been handed to us so effortlessly. There are some interesting developments on the house hunting front too, but... I always hate talking about things before they happen. Stay tuned. This whole move has been one miracle after another.

And this? This is quite the way to fall madly, passionately in love with Michigan.
Wait until everything is under a beautiful quiet white blanket of new snow and it is so silent you can almost hear your own heartbeat. If you are still close to the river at that time the murmur of the water will just sound above the silence. I really hope this Fall is a colorful one, but so far I am having my doubts about that happening where I am. Kind of dull so far and this wind will clear off a lot of the trees before they turn vivid. I have a photo in mind I really want to get; but I don't know if it is going to happen this year, I might have to wait until next Fall to get it.

As for believing, I do too, and our move back home to Michigan was the same way. Things that usually take a couple weeks were clearing out in a couple days, and the day of closing our Realtor had 6 scheduled for that day, ours was the only one that everything was perfect on and went without a hitch, all the others had to reschedule. None of which we were here to help in, we were actually on the road with the packed moving truck headed home, not knowing exactly if we were going to be landing at our own house or a rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 AM

528 posts, read 885,630 times
Bydand, we had legendary snowfall in the Portland area in 2008. Everyone said that the year after a big snowfall is always worse, but no luck. I literally cried when spring came, no big snowfall.

We lived in suburbia, but I woke up early the whole time we had fresh snow on the ground, and I loved looking out at the untouched snow.... Having that once was NOT enough.

It will be so exciting to have our own horse property, and live out in the country, and see the snow covered rolling hills here on the west side of the state. Just stunning I bet. My 2011 almanac seems to think we won't have too much snow this year. I'm hoping it holds off until Thanksgiving, and then I hope we get a nice, steady snowfall all winter long.

(ducking... I know some will hate me for hoping such a thing!)

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Bydand, we had legendary snowfall in the Portland area in 2008. Everyone said that the year after a big snowfall is always worse, but no luck. I literally cried when spring came, no big snowfall.

We lived in suburbia, but I woke up early the whole time we had fresh snow on the ground, and I loved looking out at the untouched snow.... Having that once was NOT enough.

It will be so exciting to have our own horse property, and live out in the country, and see the snow covered rolling hills here on the west side of the state. Just stunning I bet. My 2011 almanac seems to think we won't have too much snow this year. I'm hoping it holds off until Thanksgiving, and then I hope we get a nice, steady snowfall all winter long.

(ducking... I know some will hate me for hoping such a thing!)
My "snow" bones are aching...look out this year!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM

528 posts, read 885,630 times
Gah, meant to add that we drove to Charlevoix to check out points further north. Meant to get pictures of some color. Got a few, not much. Got more dramatic waves on a pier, and incredible sunset pictures... Going to Mt. Pleasant for mail and Midway to pay board for the ponies today, I'll see if I can get more pictures. If I can get my husband to take his little MiFi to a hot spot, I'll have enough bandwidth to post some color pictures. Things are looking nice, I think I might be able to get some great shots today. I saw some great color between Big Rapids and Mt. Pleasant last week.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Short...but sweet!

YouTube - SEASONAL FORESTS

Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM

50 posts, read 140,405 times
Some fall color links you may enjoy...

Fall Color | Facebook
Fall Color Tours, Northern Michigan, Upper Peninsula Michigan
Fall Color Tours 2010 : The Fall Color Blog - Fall Color Tours In Michigan

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times
Quote:
Gah, meant to add that we drove to Charlevoix to check out points further north. Meant to get pictures of some color. Got a few, not much. Got more dramatic waves on a pier, and incredible sunset pictures... Going to Mt. Pleasant for mail and Midway to pay board for the ponies today, I'll see if I can get more pictures. If I can get my husband to take his little MiFi to a hot spot, I'll have enough bandwidth to post some color pictures. Things are looking nice, I think I might be able to get some great shots today. I saw some great color between Big Rapids and Mt. Pleasant last week.
Our peak time here is usually between the first and second weekend of October.....looks like we are still on schedule this year. It's amazing we still have any leaves on the trees after friday. And to think I was flying in that weather.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM

183 posts, read 610,083 times
Here are a few more fall pics. They don't seem very bright this year, but maybe in another week...
I took the wind turbine pieces picture last week in the rain. Very interesting to watch the installation of these turbines (but not so much fun to get stuck behind the truck while it is bringing its oversize load down the road!).
Attached Thumbnails
Northern folks keep us posted on fall colors-fall-2010-008-reed-city-r60.jpg   Northern folks keep us posted on fall colors-fall-2010-012-tustin-20-mile   Northern folks keep us posted on fall colors-fall-2010-013-100th-ave-r60.jpg   Northern folks keep us posted on fall colors-fall-2010-001-wind-turbine-parts   Northern folks keep us posted on fall colors-fall-2010-014-stny-crnrs-wind  

Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
For the most part , we have full color here in da U.P. The rain took away all the aspen color this year, that was a shame.,,, Still a blaze of reds and yellows in some places, maybe too wet this year for a record.... Still worth the trip however...if you have not already done so.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,645 times
Drove through the U.P. Tuesday, NW areas like Ironwood and Iron Mountain had full color that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan