Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

There are some places where those of us who do not want to sit next to a group of screaming kids do not go. Chuckie Cheese comes to mind along with others. It could be similar thing to visiting a rowdy Bar, if you don't want to be around drunks , don't go there. Its more than likely that small wild, uncontrolled children will be at places where kids like to go.... Even the toy store, when I was a kid , my Mother could not take me there,...I was out of control.
I see nothing wrong with having restrictions on age at fine restaurants and nite spots....then there are airplanes...hard to separate that one. The bottom line here is its all up to the Parents, sometimes , some kids , should just not be taken out in public peroid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times
I attended a funeral service last year before Christmas. Someone brought their child who was so sick that from the time the minster began to speak the child coughed and sneezed non-stop. I mean really non-stop to the point no one could hear a single word that was being said. It got to the point people were obviously upset that this parent would not remove the child from the service. Parents need to get a grip and realize there are limits to what others should have to tolerate from their children. This wasn't the child's fault but a parent who had no inkling that others would not want to have a funeral service completely ruined. The restaurant stuff is bad, but I thought this was about the worst example of poor parenting considering people were in a greiving state at the time.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
Friend mentioned the heros to some children and what they get away with. fine examples he said.

Linsy, Brittney,and Paris in just a few months and never having to really pay a price. Let your son or daughter do what they have did and they would not get chance after chance till finally they got special treatment in a jail for a few days.

Still no excuse for us common folks to have not taught children manners, disipline and that no means no, and I'm not going to tell you again means just that.

I also am not talking about places who's sole reason for being is kids being able to raise cane like chucky cheese.

I'm talking about Big Boy for example the Michigan one that used to be and maybe still is Elis brothers owned. I'm talking about Shonews, Bob Evans, Delonas, Jacks family resturant, The Pantry, Tylenies, Tonys, and other family resturants where you are supposed to be able to bring the family to set down and have a nice enjoyable meal with out coke and other crap dumped down the back of your neck.

Al

Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times
I just remembered one of our stores here has a sign that reads: "If your children act like animals take them to the zoo."

Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Well, first you have the kids whose lives are so mixed up that they don't know which way is up. These are the kids whose moms are living with boyfriend number five, while dad is shacking up with some bimbo half his age. Hard to get trained in good behavior when your own parents don't or won't invest any of their precious time in you because they are too busy putting themselves first.

Then, there are the kids whose parents both work tons of hours so that they can live in XYZ subdivision and be seen driving XYZ brand of car and take exotic vacations with or without the kids. How is a kid supposed to be socialized and trained up when there is no one there to do the training except a harried day care worker who has fifteen other kids to manage all day? Not to mention, maybe mom and/or dad feel a wee bit guilty for blowing off their kids to have nice things so they bend over backwards when they actually are with their kids to spoil them rotten and set no limitations and basically be a buddy with a checkbook to their kids.

These are hard times to be a kid. Lack of parental involvement + horrific media generated role models a la Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga, et al, and the general demise of social values in this country. But getting back to the OT, yes, I would frequent a restaurant that didn't tolerate unruly kids. If the parents won't step up, why let it ruin someone else's hard earned dining experience?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
It was a typo, excuse me.

Way I see it is the parents have kids because they want them. then they see how much work thay are so ignore them. They do the same thing with pets only the pet is easier to get rid of.
Also there is the back lash of some one spanking. OH MY GOD the world will end for that poor child who will be maladjusted for the rest of their (got that one right) life.

Al
Oops. Sorry to mention it then. Just thought it would be funny if that was ont he sign.

The whole spanking thing really gets me going. People are afraid to spank their kids in public because some busybody will follow them home and call CPS (happened to a friend of ours). Those same busybodies complain when the kid is unruly in public because the parents cannot swat them once in a while when necessary. Sometimes, a child needs some physical focus to break the escalation of hyperactivity or whatever it is called. I do not know that science, but I do know what works and what is silly.

Beating a kid is a crime, but during a certain age range (I think around 3 to about 6 or 7) kids need a swat once in a while or they will have no discipline. It is funny how often the people who say "Oh I never spank my kids" end up with children who behave horribly. There are probably some exceptions, but the majority of the "no spanking" people that I know have kids with terrible manners/behaviour.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I can be totally on board with your post, parts a, b, and c.

Part d will never ever happen. It's an invitation to "how dare you tell me how to raise my kids" and can escalate to lawsuits where accusations of perversion are hurled. Sorry, I'm not volunteering to socialize or care for anybody's kids. Not my business, not my job, too many underemployed lawyers. Sad, but there you are.
Bagh. I do it all the time. "In our house we do not permit swearing. If you are going to come here, you cannot swear" If a kid calls me by my first name or anyhting but Mr. Jensen, I just do not respond. Same with please and think you. I just sit there as if I did not hear them. My kids will tell them "you have to say plase and thank you or he will not hear you" They catch on really fast. If someone is tlaking over others or yelling, it is usually enough to simply say wait your turn, or stop yelling and they calm down. We make it clear that if they do not follow our rules they will nto be allowed back or will not be invited to come along with us anywhere again. We do not make them pray before meals, but we do make them wait to eat until we pray, and wait until everyone is served. If somone wants to sue me for that or for telling their child that they cannot curse in our house, have at it. (of course I can defend myself at no charge - usually, someimtes when I am ticked off at myself I might charge me for a defense - not sure about that one).

Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,803 times
Where is this restaurant? I want to go there! I want to send them a BRAVO!

My father owned a resort in Kentucky near Land Between the Lakes and his policy was "bring your pets, leave your kids at home". His thought was that he never had a pet do some of the damage that an uncontrolled kid could do.

When I was raising my 3, there were a few times that my son was sent to the car (or taken to the restroom, depending on the infraction and on the weather) because he couldn't behave and the rest of the family and restaurant patrons wanted to eat in peace. I taught my kids manners AT HOME that they were expected to carry out when they were outside of the home, whether it was at a public place or a friend's house.

I don't buy the excuse about 2 parents working and not having enough time for the raising of their kids. During the war (WWII) there were MANY 1-parent families because dad was sent off to war and Mom became Rosie the riveter. Kids at that time were taught RESPECT for all adults and if Mrs. Smith saw Johnny doing something wrong, you can be sure that it was reported to his parent(s). Parents these days want to be their kids' best pals rather than accepting the responsibility of being their teacher, mentor and disciplinarian. They don't teach kids basic manners any longer. Who today under the age of 30 has ever heard of Emily Post?

Coldjensens: love it! I maintain the same rules at my house; i.e. no screaming, no hats at the dinner table, do not even THINK about sitting at my table with a wife-beater shirt on. I was once told not to be so hard on the grandkids because they wouldn't want to come back to visit. My response? They need to behave in such a manner that I would WANT them to come back!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 PM

I know that they will be back no matter how oppressive I am. We have a heated pool.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times
i heard that you can spank your children, two swats on the butt. two swats is legal. not sure if its true though?

i always wonder what the previous generations did to make the current generation want to be a child's friend rather than a parent? or is it just the way our society is now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan