U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
yls yls started this thread

58 posts, read 76,767 times
Thanks for all the replies. I'll just have to ponder over the situation and see. For our first winter up there I won't "have" to go out most days....I do plan to enroll my daughter in preK when she turns 4 in February so we may be looking at 2 mornings a week then....that might not be as flexible.
I've been running the numbers and I could buy a 4x4 Nissan Xterra but my car is in excellent shape and has insanely low mileage and is perfect in every way except for being RWD I don't have a car payment now and love that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,157,886 times
With no car payments right now, why take one on when it is an unknown how yours will behave in the snow. I would get the best snow tires you can for it, add some weight in the rear, and take it out to get used to how it handles. If after a few snow storms you feel it is just too squirmy on the road to feel safe with, THEN go out and look for something different. Plus then you can test drive whatever vehicle you want when it is snowy out, that way you know if you are stepping up or down the ladder on handling.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 29 days ago)

15,101 posts, read 20,279,589 times
SKIP THE 4X4 and go for any AWD Subaru. MUCH BETTER VALUE!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM

8 posts, read 284 times
No 2wd rear or front will handle like an all wheel drive, its the difference between night and day. I have driven for over 30 years from Pintos to silverados 4x4, and the best is the AWD, it puts the traction where it is not slipping and it tends to be more stable with 80% of the work going to the FWD. Its the best way to live in the snow if you have to. I would never live in MI or any snow state without one. Unless you are not driving every day to work you will not like depending on a 2wd when that crap weather comes and it is not for a day its from Nov, to May.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,157,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklawn View Post
No 2wd rear or front will handle like an all wheel drive, its the difference between night and day. I have driven for over 30 years from Pintos to silverados 4x4, and the best is the AWD, it puts the traction where it is not slipping and it tends to be more stable with 80% of the work going to the FWD. Its the best way to live in the snow if you have to. I would never live in MI or any snow state without one. Unless you are not driving every day to work you will not like depending on a 2wd when that crap weather comes and it is not for a day its from Nov, to May.
So what you are saying is that is snows EVERY day for 6 months? What a load of crap. You must be a poor driver if you wouldn't live where there is snow without AWD. Yes it is better, No it is not mandatory for getting around.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM

7,168 posts, read 10,718,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklawn View Post
Hyperbole much?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,702,180 times
I have owned big 1970s rear drive cars and rear drive pickups (2 wheel dr), I have owned front wheel drive cars and have owned 4x4 pickups. I have survived every snowstorm without major problems. As long as you drive with caution, keep your cars limitations in mind you will be ok. There is no doubt that 4x4 is easier, but if you have no car payment now I would see how the car does first before you spend money unecessarily. When I lived in Sault ste Marie we recieved 5 feet of snow in one weekend, the worst storm in that areas history. At that time I owned a 95 chevy monte carlo with front wheel drive. No one got out at first, but once the main roads had some of the snow removed I got out. I did not get around as easy as the 4x4s but I did ok. The part of the state that you are talking about(Ann Arbor) gets very little snow compared to everyone else. Most years about 40 inches total. I live further north, (saginaw valley now) and here we get about 20-30 inches more a year than you do. We are also in the flat agricultural part of the state so snow blows nonstop here. Our 2 wheel drive car does fine. The most important factor is tires, if the tires are so so your car will not handle well, no matter whether its 4x4 or a 72 beetle. Good luck up here in da great white north eh. Buy some skis or a snowmachine and you will like winter alot more.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 AM

15,820 posts, read 29,947,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
SKIP THE 4X4 and go for any AWD Subaru. MUCH BETTER VALUE!!!

Right up to the day that you have to raplce the head gasket. Then not so good value.

Also Subaru's are not much good for hauling things.

Oh and you really need to be small if you go on long trips.

You may also get keyed, or at leasst dirty looks, but you cna always park around the corner from your desitnation so that people do not see you getting out of a car that sends its profits, engineering dollars, adversiing planning, etc overseas. That is nto so good right now.

Otherwise, Subaru's are great. I still hope to get one for my daughters (who are short, and not terriblyconcerned about getting out of one in front of an engineer who just got laid off. . They are not terribly expensive, get almost good mileage, are safe and easy to drive, park etc and as long as you avoid Forrester, they are not bad looking. (Plus that two sunroof thing is really cool

Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 29 days ago)

15,101 posts, read 20,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Right up to the day that you have to raplce the head gasket. Then not so good value.

You may also get keyed, or at leasst dirty looks, but you cna always park around the corner from your desitnation so that people do not see you getting out of a car that sends its profits, engineering dollars, adversiing planning, etc overseas. That is nto so good right now.

Otherwise, Subaru's are great. I still hope to get one for my daughters (who are short, and not terriblyconcerned about getting out of one in front of an engineer who just got laid off. . They are not terribly expensive, get almost good mileage, are safe and easy to drive, park etc and as long as you avoid Forrester, they are not bad looking. (Plus that two sunroof thing is really cool
The head gasket was a problem in the early 2000s Subaru's, but not common at all a few years later. Also, Legacy models are built in the USA at a plant in Indiana around Lafayette. I only buy used cars so I really don't care what the brand is as long as it is a reliable, safe, and fuel-efficient auto.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM

809 posts, read 1,026,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Neither are they for offroading. I've saved folks a night in the woods by happening upon them as they went offroad and were less than 100yds from the gravel road before they were sucked in by sand.

Jeep drivers laugh at them. Subaru's are cute when they are stuck, the drivers not so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan