Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,127 times

Advertisements

I am potentially going up to the Leelanau area this weekend.

Question: Is it possible to camp fairly close to Lake Michigan somewhere? Maybe within earshot of the waves?

I know there is a rule about being 300 feet from the water when setting up camp. Some buddies and I broke that rule in high school one time... I think near Frankfort... but I can't confirm or deny that. I really have no idea where we were when we did that, though. I think we just went to the end of a dead end street and hiked down the dunes.

I'm guessing there's not an official campsite where I can do this and I'll have to settle for an isolated spot where I can "get away with it." But I know some of you are experts on that area of the state. Any suggestions? Should I just give up on my dream right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 AM

749 posts, read 2,770,906 times
If you come up round the other way, just south of Charlevoix, there is Fishermans Island State Park, very rustic, camp sites right on the water....never crowded, very peaceful.....just a thought

Old 09-19-2010, 12:54 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
If you come up round the other way, just south of Charlevoix, there is Fishermans Island State Park, very rustic, camp sites right on the water....never crowded, very peaceful.....just a thought
Beautiful park. You are right on the beach, small sand dunes, unhindered view of spectacular sunsets.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like this place is going to work perfectly. If the weather looks good, I think I'll be up there this weekend!

Now, for another question:

We're willing to take our time a little on the way up there, so I want to take in some good scenery on the way up. I live between GR and Lansing and I'm thinking about taking M-66 all the way to Charlevoix. Is this a good way to go? Or is there another route that would be more interesting? I could also come up 131 or 127.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM

749 posts, read 2,770,906 times
66 might have nicer scenery....I have only been to GR down 131....btw, OctoberFest in Charlevoix this weekend. If you come up make sure you get into town to check out the festivites

Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like this place is going to work perfectly. If the weather looks good, I think I'll be up there this weekend!

Now, for another question:

We're willing to take our time a little on the way up there, so I want to take in some good scenery on the way up. I live between GR and Lansing and I'm thinking about taking M-66 all the way to Charlevoix. Is this a good way to go? Or is there another route that would be more interesting? I could also come up 131 or 127.
I would go west and take 31 all the way up myself

Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
No kidding. Forget 66 this time of year.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Same here Plus I would time it so I was in Manistee around lunchtime and stop into the "River Street Station" which is a bar and grill that has the best cod dinners I've had in a restaurant anywhere, and it is only around $8 with a pop (beer and other alcoholic drinks will add more). The only cod I've had that were better, were ones I caught myself while living in Maine, and cooked as soon as we got back to shore. Afterward a nice walk down the riverwalk (http://www.bydandphoto.com/Photography/West-Michigan/DSC1428a/869088138_dopMx-L-4.jpg - broken link) to let things settle before getting back in the vehicle and pointing it North again. One of the entrances is very close to the bar.

Don't get me wrong, I love my area, and Ludington has a lot more places to eat that are very good (Sportsmans Irish Pub, Michaels, Blue Moon Cafe, etc...) and a walk along the pier out to the North Pier Lighthouse is nice, I'm just stuck on the cod dinners in Manistee right now.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think you've all talked me into taking 31 all the way up. Sadly, I have never been north of Ludington on 31. But I plan to fix that this weekend. It sounds like there's just too much good scenery along 31 to pass it up.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think you've all talked me into taking 31 all the way up. Sadly, I have never been north of Ludington on 31. But I plan to fix that this weekend. It sounds like there's just too much good scenery along 31 to pass it up.
The only bad thing about going up that way is there is so much to see, and so many great places to stop...better leave extra early! Let me know how that State Park is, and try to get some pics. We have been thinking of going there, maybe next summer but will have to reserve early I am thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan