Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM

943 posts, read 2,279,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's high time to get over the genetics BS. 2 generations ago, the % of Americans who were overweight/obese was MUCH lower than today.

Genetics don't change that fast.

I read Americans are getting taller as well as fatter.

{growth hormones!}

Americans Getting Taller, Bigger, Fatter, Says CDC

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Go ahead peeps, continue to blame the 'environment' and other lame excuses. Its never been easier to find healthy advice. Talk with your doctor or try something called google, IF it's not too much work.

Also, I just love this ...

'Some insurance industry officials have suggested charging obese persons higher premiums. HHS Secretary Thompson, however, cautioned that doing so could run afoul of federal anti-discrimination laws.'

States considering laws to prevent obesity in America

What a great country, huh? Some gluttonous slob eats himself into a coronary and we end up paying for his irresponsibility on the grounds that it's discriminatory to prevent it, yet it's not discriminatory when the rest of us open our wallets because of him and others?

By the way, I just got a 20% increase in my health bill yet have never had a major medical claim. I attribute part of it to something called COMMON SENSE to diet and exercise.

Maybe it's time to go on a eating frenzy and start getting my money's worth out of my insurance co. I'll just blame it on the food, stress, the environment, those nasty companies brainwashing me, lack of motivation, the tv & internet. OMG, there's no free will left in the country!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 AM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's high time to get over the genetics BS. 2 generations ago, the % of Americans who were overweight/obese was MUCH lower than today.

Genetics don't change that fast.
My mother is overweight, my grandmothers on both sides were overweight, the one great grandmother that I knew was overweight, and the great grandmother I've only seen pictures of was overweight. And that was during the Great Depression; before processed foods and diet soda, back when if you wanted to go somewhere you had to walk because cars were a novelty. That's three generations ago. So you can just get off your high horse that genetics don't play a factor in obesity!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Go ahead peeps, continue to blame the 'environment' and other lame excuses. Its never been easier to find healthy advice. Talk with your doctor or try something called google, IF it's not too much work.

'Some insurance industry officials have suggested charging obese persons higher premiums. HHS Secretary Thompson, however, cautioned that doing so could run afoul of federal anti-discrimination laws.'

What a great country, huh? Some gluttonous slob eats himself into a coronary and we end up paying for his irresponsibility on the grounds that it's discriminatory to prevent it, yet it's not discriminatory when the rest of us open our wallets because of him and others?

By the way, I just got a 20% increase in my health bill yet have never had a major medical claim. I attribute part of it to something called COMMON SENSE to diet and exercise.

Maybe it's time to go on a eating frenzy and start getting my money's worth out of my insurance co. I'll just blame it on the food, stress, the environment, those nasty companies brainwashing me, lack of motivation, the tv & internet. OMG, there's no free will left in the country!
Consider yourself lucky then. Cause a common sense diet and exercise sure hasn't worked for me!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
People, we are off track of the OP.....

Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

Your sarcasm is very off-putting.

Ever consider it might be a COMBINATION of factors, not just "gluttonous slobs" eating too much?

Ever consider that it's not just overweight people driving up your premiums, but a for-profit health care system? Unnecessary tests? A drugged country?

Sheeesh.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:05 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Ever consider that it's not just overweight people driving up your premiums, but a for-profit health care system? Unnecessary tests? A drugged country?
The health care system you clearly disdain isn't the problem, it's the sheer number of people going to their health provider in the first place. If more kept in shape the fewer the visits, drugs, etc.

The health care industry as it stands represents the effect, not the cause, of people's irresponsible behavior. Just how many times is the old mantra 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' repeatedly ignored?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 AM

42 posts, read 81,363 times
Haha! I got ripped to shreds in the Chicago forum for making a comment similar to the OP! I know I'm gonna get it on here too...BUT...the people in the midwest are amongst the frumpiest, unstylish-fried-out-heads-of-hair, unhealthy, people who all look at least 10-15 years older than they actually are! Gimmie some plastic, pretty west coast people ANYDAY!

Before the comments start - yes, I know I'm not nice, I am superficial and a lover of fake beauty. To quote George Carlin, "Ever notice how people against abortion are people you wouldn't want to f*ck in the first place?!" hahahahahaaaaaaaaa!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
Haha! blah, blah, blah BS, BS, BS hahahahahaaaaaaaaa!
So why then are you bothering to post in the thread?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM

I'd call her a troll, but since I live in the LP that would be an insult to trolls. I'm not sure what being against abortion has to do with being from Michigan though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan