Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 20,946 times

Advertisements

Hey. I just recently got in trouble with the law. I'm 18 years old.

I was driving home at night from hanging out with my friends back to my home. I had take-out food from earlier that night that was sitting in my passenger seat and it fell over, so I used my right hand to make it stand upright since I didn't want a stain on my mat. Right at that second my car went off a little off the road and that second a police was going on the opposite direction and saw me. I was busted and he turned around and turned on his lights. He thought I was drunk. He then came up and questioned me and I told him that I do not have a license with me. The reason why I don't have a license is because I just recently acquired my green-card & social security number & COULDN'T acquire a license before that. He then arrested me for "No Operating License in Possesion" which is classified as a Misdemeanor. I have never been in trouble with the law before and I currently go to school. I even have a pink slip stating that I recently applied for a license but I need one more document proving that I'm a resident in michigan (they recently changed the number of proof of documents stating that you live in Michigan from one to two).

I know it was dumb and unthoughtful, I usually never drive but my mom left the country that same day to go back to visit my family...

I would just like to know what my penalty/penalties may be...

I really don't want to go to jail for this.... someone please help me out! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:17 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,787 times
You're not going to go to jail over that, especially if you hurry up and get your operator liscense. Get it straightened out before you go to court.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
There will be a fine to pay. I think the fine will be 200.00.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
If you act quickly to resolve the license situation, your fine probably will be reduced.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,773,744 times
I've never had a "No Operators License In Possession." I've had a Driving While License Suspended & a No Opertors License On Person tickets before among many others.....and you do have the option to plead guilty or not guilty on any misdemeanor ticket in Michigan. If you do not make a plea (guilty or not guilty or set up a payment arrangment) at the court within 10 days they will issue a warrant for your arrest. No Ops On Person I'm guessing is around $100.00-$150.00. You will also have to pay a Michigan Drivers Responsibility Fee which is a seperate fee fined by the State of Michigan, you'll receive notification of this by mail.

Driver Responsibility - Offenses and Penalties

Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 AM

238 posts, read 742,892 times
Are you licensed to drive in your country?

Was the violation cited as "No Operator's License on Person" Or No Operator's License, Never Applied?"

You should have been given the address and telephone number of the District Court. You may call there and ask what the fines and costs that you will be assessed.

Also get that other proof of residency, go back to the Secretary of State Office and get that process going to obtain your drivers license.

If you don't want to go to jail, you may want to contact an attorney

Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshem View Post
The reason why I don't have a license is because I just recently acquired my green-card & social security number & COULDN'T acquire a license before that.
Well, I guess you shouldn't have been driving then. The law is the law!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Oooops...Broke the law and wanna get out of it? usually doesn't work like that. Not sure how the law operates in the home country, but I am pretty sure that in Michigan, people (atleast the common folks) are held accountable for violations of the law.
I do not recall Michigan passing any new laws that allow people with green cards to have a free pass just because they did not have time to meet legal requirements.

Not sure if you will even be able to secure a license at this point. The driver responsibility fees are likely to be ad additional $200-$400 per year IF you are able to get a license which in turn may affect the cost of no-fault insurance?

Sounds like some folks may have come out from under the bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan