Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 288,984 times

Advertisements

Hi !! I just moved to Michigan in July from Texas and I have what may seem like an idiotic question but I need to know the answer nevertheless!

My husband has a friend from TX coming up in January to go ice fishing. Since my husband is a truck driver I've been put in charge of the "festivities." LOL

We live near Lansing and I need to know where the best place to go is and what the guys will need to go fishing. This is the first ice fishing trip for both of them and any help that can be given will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much ya'll!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times
Head out to the local Dunham's Sporting Goods store. There's one in Lansing at the Lansing Mall. The people at the sporting goods counter will not only be able to outfit you for a quick ice fishing experience, they'll also know which local lakes are available for public fishing.

If you really want to experience ice fishing at it's best, look into Tip-Up Town on Lake Houghton, January 21-23, 2011.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
Maybe try Gun Lake about 45 minutes or so away from Lansing. Its a huge lake with all kinds of fish.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
Ice should be safe then.....usually is. Lots of public access points in your area, but gettin' friendly with some locals who live on or near a hot spot is always a great idea.

You'll need:

Auger

tip ups

small rods and reels

fishin' line

tear drops....dinky 'lil lures for your dinky 'lil poles

Treble hooks with stingers for your tip ups.

Bait:

wax worms and minnows

Clothes:

Waterproof boots

Many layers of clothes

Mittens.....hey I prefer 'em

You'll need a shanty to keep the beer from freezing.

A designated driver.

There.

Now you're set.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ice should be safe then.....usually is. Lots of public access points in your area, but gettin' friendly with some locals who live on or near a hot spot is always a great idea.

You'll need:

Auger

tip ups

small rods and reels

fishin' line

tear drops....dinky 'lil lures for your dinky 'lil poles

Treble hooks with stingers for your tip ups.

Bait:

wax worms and minnows

Clothes:

Waterproof boots

Many layers of clothes

Mittens.....hey I prefer 'em

You'll need a shanty to keep the beer from freezing.

A designated driver.

There.

Now you're set.
Yaz, you forgot three very important items:

-plastic kids sled to pull equip out on the ice

-5gal plastic bucket to sit on and later put your load of perch in for the tug off the ice and trip home (buy them at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple bucks

-ice strainer (big spoonlike scoop with holes in it)

And of course the tackle depends on the fish you are after (though that can be entirely uncontrollable)

Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Lake Ovid is not far from Lansing either. Its in sleepy hollow state park. The previous poster suggested tip up town in Houghton. Alot of people love tip up town, but beware as it is a huge party on the ice. Lots of sleds going 100mph, drunks and everything that goes along with a party like that. If your husband likes that kind of thing then tip up town may be a good suggestion. Where ever he goes, make sure the ice is safe. Too many people go out too early and end up in big trouble every year. Ice fishing is gonna be quite a shock to someone from Texas.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:08 AM

Default Awesome!

Thanks so much for the awesome advice. Just one question....
What are tip-ups?

And the party on the ice thing sounds fun... maybe not for him, he takes his fishing pretty seriously... but I may tag along just to have some beer and some good times... he can be the DD!!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:18 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLIZARD View Post
Thanks so much for the awesome advice. Just one question....
What are tip-ups?

And the party on the ice thing sounds fun... maybe not for him, he takes his fishing pretty seriously... but I may tag along just to have some beer and some good times... he can be the DD!!
Tip-ups are a small device you set on the ice hole. It has a small spool of line that when a fish takes the bait it will trip a flag. You cant leave them there overnight but you can be at a distance and with a glance tell how your line is doing. It's quite fun when you see a flag go up. You can have no more than two lines in the water be it tip-up or pole.

A tip-up is small, stands about 18" off the surface. The flag is about the size of a playing card.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Tip-ups are a small device you set on the ice hole. It has a small spool of line that when a fish takes the bait it will trip a flag. You cant leave them there overnight but you can be at a distance and with a glance tell how your line is doing. It's quite fun when you see a flag go up. You can have no more than two lines in the water be it tip-up or pole.

A tip-up is small, stands about 18" off the surface. The flag is about the size of a playing card.

So it's like a trot line? But for ice fishing?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Ugh. I always thought of ice fishing as being similar to fishing in a toilet. Bring something to do. Maybe some Soduku puzzles, a computer with 3g internet, at least some music to listen to. Sorry, but I just cannot stand sitting motionless for fifteen minutes, let alone for hours on end - especially when it is cold.

I suppose that there are worse things though like shopping at IKEA or a day at Disenyland, dental surgury, cleaning up dog poop, . .. . that is about it, I think that Ice fishing may be next on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan