U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,859,919 times

Advertisements

I sold my property up north about 6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I received a notice the other day saying the taxes are 2 years past due and the county or state will foreclose on it in march. The new owners never registered his deed but records show it was being sold on a land contract. So as far as the county is concerned I have no interest in the property unless they still owe me ( they don't).
But I was telling my neighbor about it and he said there is a way to pay off the taxes before the property goes to auction. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm pretty sure I could buy it back at the auction for taxes only anyway considering where the property sits. It's only accessible during the summer months and is 2 miles in off a 2 tracker. I hate to sound like I'm sitting around waiting to take advantage of someone else misfortune but if there is a chance I could get it back I want too. You can answer here or send me a private email if you have information. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM

72 posts, read 115,234 times
I don't know the answer but will say that this past year (in MI) we found out that a piece of property connected to ours was in back taxes. I called the county on it because my husband wanted to purchase it for the back taxes owed and the county told me it could not be done. The lady that last owned it had passed away and that the land would eventually go to the state/township. I have heard of people buying property by paying back taxes but I am not sure how it works, as it didn't work for us to try but would like to know the details in what is involved. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions. Even thou I called for several days and spoke to many different people but got the same answers.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himpurs View Post
I don't know the answer but will say that this past year (in MI) we found out that a piece of property connected to ours was in back taxes. I called the county on it because my husband wanted to purchase it for the back taxes owed and the county told me it could not be done. The lady that last owned it had passed away and that the land would eventually go to the state/township. I have heard of people buying property by paying back taxes but I am not sure how it works, as it didn't work for us to try but would like to know the details in what is involved. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions. Even thou I called for several days and spoke to many different people but got the same answers.
I know that dealing with counties etc can be tricky. I found a woman 2 summers ago selling two lot's for $1 a piece in Gaylord. I thought it was some kind of joke but curiosity got the best of me and I emailed her. Turned out to be the real thing all I had to do was pay her $2 and pay the county back taxes for 2 years. It was dirt cheap. The catch was that the owner had bought it at an auction, the deed was only quick claimed to her because the previous owner had passed away. The county explained that if anyone ever came to claim the property it could cause serious problem for me. The chances were slim but I did not want the trouble of jumping through the hoops to buy it.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 AM

337 posts, read 552,830 times
Are you getting the tax bills?

Anyone can pay taxes on a property, but that doesn't provide any right of ownership.

If no deed was recorded after the sale, then according to the register of deeds it is still in your name.

However, you could never sell the property to anyone else because the paper deed is out there and could be recorded at some time in the future. If you did sell it to someone else, it would probably be fraud.

So the answer is that you could pay the taxes but you would not have clear title.

Thats my best guess.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Are you getting the tax bills?

Anyone can pay taxes on a property, but that doesn't provide any right of ownership.

If no deed was recorded after the sale, then according to the register of deeds it is still in your name.

However, you could never sell the property to anyone else because the paper deed is out there and could be recorded at some time in the future. If you did sell it to someone else, it would probably be fraud.

So the answer is that you could pay the taxes but you would not have clear title.

Thats my best guess.
What about after it is foreclosed? They are going to put it to auction in August I could wait and get it dirt cheap but I wonder if anything could be done in between.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 AM

337 posts, read 552,830 times
Tax sale properties are offered to local government first, and then go up for auction to the public. Many counties use the online auction service at:

Tax-sale.info

I would suggest attending the sale in person and being prepared to bid well above the minimum asking price. You never know if someone else wants the same property.

PS if you pay the taxes, it will not go into tax sale

Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM

258 posts, read 572,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I sold my property up north about 6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I received a notice the other day saying the taxes are 2 years past due and the county or state will foreclose on it in march. The new owners never registered his deed but records show it was being sold on a land contract. So as far as the county is concerned I have no interest in the property unless they still owe me ( they don't).
But I was telling my neighbor about it and he said there is a way to pay off the taxes before the property goes to auction. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm pretty sure I could buy it back at the auction for taxes only anyway considering where the property sits. It's only accessible during the summer months and is 2 miles in off a 2 tracker. I hate to sound like I'm sitting around waiting to take advantage of someone else misfortune but if there is a chance I could get it back I want too. You can answer here or send me a private email if you have information. Thanks.
It will depend on the taxing authority and who, if anyone, is ultimately going to auction it. I'm curious why you're getting a tax notice if you have no right to a deed? Have you contacted the county? Is it a sheriff's sale (county) or is it a foreclosure by a bank? Either way and however you buy it (before or after the auction), there is usually a redemption period for the owner to pay it all up and take possession again. Commonly, that period is 6 months but could be up to a year. For that period of time, your money will sit in escrow until the recorded owner either pays all the arearages or the time runs out on him/her.

I'd recommend you find out exactly who is holding the sale and work that way.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I know that dealing with counties etc can be tricky. I found a woman 2 summers ago selling two lot's for $1 a piece in Gaylord. I thought it was some kind of joke but curiosity got the best of me and I emailed her. Turned out to be the real thing all I had to do was pay her $2 and pay the county back taxes for 2 years. It was dirt cheap. The catch was that the owner had bought it at an auction, the deed was only quick claimed to her because the previous owner had passed away. The county explained that if anyone ever came to claim the property it could cause serious problem for me. The chances were slim but I did not want the trouble of jumping through the hoops to buy it.
Just a note on "quick" claim deeds: They're really "Quit Claim Deeds", but that's beside the point. Just as you did, a person has to be very careful when accepting a quit claim deed. The deed/title is only guaranteed to be clear from the date the buyer takes possession of (gets the deed) of the property. Every and anything that has been put against the deed prior to that time, like liens, will stay on the title and will become the buyers' problem down the road. A person should insist on a warranty deed preceded by a title search and title insurance from the seller .....even if it's the county.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
It will depend on the taxing authority and who, if anyone, is ultimately going to auction it. I'm curious why you're getting a tax notice if you have no right to a deed? Have you contacted the county? Is it a sheriff's sale (county) or is it a foreclosure by a bank? Either way and however you buy it (before or after the auction), there is usually a redemption period for the owner to pay it all up and take possession again. Commonly, that period is 6 months but could be up to a year. For that period of time, your money will sit in escrow until the recorded owner either pays all the arearages or the time runs out on him/her.

I'd recommend you find out exactly who is holding the sale and work that way.
I'm not sure if the bank is involved in the property he owned next door with the home on it. But the property he bought from me has been paid in full and there is no lien on it. The county told me it would be them selling it at auction.

As far as why am I getting the notice they explained because they never registered their new deed so as far as the county knew they were still paying for it as we sold it on a land contract.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if the bank is involved in the property he owned next door with the home on it. But the property he bought from me has been paid in full and there is no lien on it. The county told me it would be them selling it at auction.

As far as why am I getting the notice they explained because they never registered their new deed so as far as the county knew they were still paying for it as we sold it on a land contract.
Ok. Well, coming as I do from a real estate background, there "is" a lien on it - the property taxes. Without a title search, can you be sure he didn't borrow against the free and clear property? Or if he didn't pay other bills, even unrelated to the property, a person who is owed $ could have slapped a lien on the property. Just sayin' ...... Be careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan