Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM

528 posts, read 885,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , you could say that , etherway , its record breaking , greater than the previous storms of 1998 in this area of North America.....Could this be a forunner of whats to come for this winter ?.... Time will tell , but I am worried.
Uh-oh.

If you are worried, then I am scared.

Please be safe, everyone! Here's to a winter that is not as bad as is feared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , you could say that , etherway , its record breaking , greater than the previous storms of 1998 in this area of North America.....Could this be a forunner of whats to come for this winter ?.... Time will tell , but I am worried.
Well, they are saying its gonna be nasty! Stock up on the wood and hot cocoa, get some good books to read and enjoy the winter!
(oh...I meant sank...not sand..lol)

Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Blowing pretty good here yet. Gusts up to 72MPH so far they say, with steady winds 30+. I know the one gust that hit 72 cost me a bit today. Turned my tripod over and tumbled it and my camera across a sand dune. Hopefully it can be repaired, if not... .

Here are a few I took before it got roached (at least my Memory card didn't get full of sand.)

Ludington South Pier light
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7506/dsc6659large.jpg (broken link)

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/13/dsc6660large.jpg (broken link)

Ludington North Pier Lighthouse

On the deck of the Ludington State Park Beach-house.

And this is the Ludington State Park Beach-house... and the last shot before the big crash

Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Awesome! Man those first two shots are absolutely amazing!!! Hope your camera can pull through!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Beautiful shots, Bydand. Michigan is so beautiful, especially near the Lake.

Also, I'm surprised it's sunny. You would expect lake effect rain (or snow) in those conditions.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It pretty much fizzled here. We did not get much wind at all.

Today is somewhat windy, but nothing to get excited about.

There was a lot of hype about what was coming, but it amounted to nothing.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Nice pics! Looks like what I saw over in Petoskey a few hours ago so I'll not post mine.

I did see something of a phenomena that I've not seen in all my years of living up here through many similar storms......When up on a hill overlooking the bay you could see white streaks across the bay where the wind was picking up heavy mist from the tops of waves and creating a huge, wide sheet of bright white clouds laying on the water. The streaks lasted for about a minute until the wind gusts calmed down. Amazing sights out there today. It's been decades since this kind of intensity has been seen.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
Surfs up dudes
Catch a wave: Another 2 days of wild water on Lake Michigan | MLive.com

Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
At the south pier this morning when a wave would break around the marker light the mist would be blown across the harbor mouth and it would be a huge rainbow colored mist from top to bottom. Unfortunately I was shooting some dark shots yesterday and forgot I left my camera set to 800 ISO and those photos came out real grainy, but the time I noticed it, the sun had changed it's angle and it wasn't doing it anymore.

Doesn't look good for the camera. I'm going to have to send it in, but I have a feeling it is going to cost me a new camera body. Which sucks because that isn't happening before next Spring at the earliest.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Well, they are saying its gonna be nasty! Stock up on the wood and hot cocoa, get some good books to read and enjoy the winter!
(oh...I meant sank...not sand..lol)
O' , I thought you were talking about something else.
No , the storm 35 years ago was not as intense as what we had yesterday. We broke all records since recorded in 1961. However , its still wind , on land. Lots of power outages,schools closed, and trees down in Marquette County.
Its all about wind direction, If you remember the sinking of the EF was a " hurricane west wind". Lake Superior is so huge that by the time the wind and weather crosses the lake , northwest to south east , the wave build up can be tremendous. as it reaches the shore and Whitefish bay..
What has saved us up here was the off shore southeasterly, not so much on Lake Michigan , as we are seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan