Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What kind of admissions criteria and process do you recommend that they use instead? If they don't base admission on SAT and ACT scores and high school grades, then what should they base it on?
If your parents went there and are big football boosters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What kind of admissions criteria and process do you recommend that they use instead? If they don't base admission on SAT and ACT scores and high school grades, then what should they base it on?
I wanted to ask the same question. I don't feel it's the university's job to catch kids up with academic basics they've missed for whatever reason in high school. That's why there are other paths that can lead to a university degree, ie, community colleges, tech schools, etc. My own son started out at Northern Michigan U in Marquette and, after a good freshman year, transferred to MSU. He was also accepted at U of M. I'd respectfully disagree that it's nearly impossible to transfer into a "prestigious" university.

My daughter had a tough time learning to study in high school and ended up going to cosmetology school. She pursued that career, grew up a ton, got married/3 children, etc. and finally went back to school for her RN. Now, she's completing her Masters of Nursing with an eye toward Nurse Practitioner. Everyone's path can be different but can still have great outcome.

I'd say follow your dream no matter what it takes to achieve it!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Admission standards are why they're prestigous. If they drop the admission standards, then they'd be like many other schools and you wouldn't be complaining about getting accepted - and you'd be paying a lot of money for nothing.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 69,666 times
I think you guys are missing my point. I'm not demanding that the universities should lower their standards; I am simply stating that they need to provide better opportunities of access to transfer students.

The University of Michigan's schools of business and engineering only accept 1% of transfer applicants per year. That is such a dismal number, that it is almost laughable.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
If you want to have a degree from a prestigious university on your CV, your best bet might be to earn a 3.9-4.0 as an undergrad and score in the top 5% of all test takers on the GMAT and then apply to an MBA program. (Whatever you do, don't go to law school; it's an extremely glutted field filled with unemployed, underemployed-out-of-field, and unemployable attorneys.) However, whether or not an MBA has much employment value in the absence of a history of high-level business work experience today is very questionable. (MBAs, like lawyers, are a dime-a-dozen.)

Old 10-31-2010, 08:04 PM

103 posts, read 344,650 times
I'd assume it's purely financial reasoning for limiting the transfer student rate. I mean, If I'm an admissions officer and I see an app from a freshman and an app from a transfer student who already has several credits behind him, I'll pick the freshman because he needs to take ALL the classes and bring the university more money than the transfer student.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 77,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehondo670 View Post
The University of Michigan's schools of business and engineering only accept 1% of transfer applicants per year. That is such a dismal number, that it is almost laughable.
I believe the 1% you are quoting is one percent of ALL applicants, not just transfer applicants. I think it's more like 25% of transfer applicants are accepted.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM

26 posts, read 60,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehondo670 View Post
I think you guys are missing my point. I'm not demanding that the universities should lower their standards; I am simply stating that they need to provide better opportunities of access to transfer students.

Why? They have enough 4-year students already, so why would they care to add transfer students?

You also seem to forget that part of this whole university stratification thing is not so much about achievement as it is about class. Families pay 4 years of U-M A2 tuition for the same reason that others pay 4 years of Harvard tradition: it is an indicator of status. U-M Ann Arbor has no real use for someone who deep down is really U-M Dearborn or Schoolcraft College, and permitting too many of that sort in will only debase the U-M Ann Arbor status and brand goodwill.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM

17 posts, read 69,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
I believe the 1% you are quoting is one percent of ALL applicants, not just transfer applicants. I think it's more like 25% of transfer applicants are accepted.
1% of all applicants? What are you talking about? The freshman acceptance rate for the university is around 40%...

The college of engineering and business only accept 1% of transfer applicants a year

Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
I'd assume it's purely financial reasoning for limiting the transfer student rate. I mean, If I'm an admissions officer and I see an app from a freshman and an app from a transfer student who already has several credits behind him, I'll pick the freshman because he needs to take ALL the classes and bring the university more money than the transfer student.
Though the thing is, intro level classes are an annoyance for a research university like U of M to have to teach. Not many tenure track professors get excited about teaching them, and you can only have so many of them led by grad students without drawing the ire of the accreditors and rankers.

And the typical prospective U of M student these days probably has enough AP and summer session community college credit these days to fill out a lot of their gen ed distributions outside their major and could technically enter the school with enough credits to be classified as a sophmore either on arrival or after the first semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan