Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
If I were a cynic, I'd have to respond that you have demonstrated a lack of critical and logical thinking here. I requested that you explain what you know about being a productive member of society but you're discussing the merits of standardized testing.

Would you explain why you did that and why a parent should trust your opinion when you don't seem to practice the values that you appear to celebrate?
I was trying to stay on topic, which was my opinions about Snyder and what he wants to do with the schools, like why I think merit pay for standardized testing result is not good. I'm not sure what me being a productive member of society has to do with that, or why I have to justify that I am one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricobaby89 View Post
I'm not sure what me being a productive member of society has to do with that, or why I have to justify that I am one?
If you claim to know how to teach children to be productive members of society then it seems that you'd have implemented these lessons in your life. If you haven't implemented them in your own life then I can't believe that you have such knowledge.

Does that seem fair?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,087 times
Quote:
If you claim to know how to teach children to be productive members of society then it seems that you'd have implemented these lessons in your life. If you haven't implemented them in your own life then I can't believe that you have such knowledge.

Does that seem fair?
No, it doesn't. It seems ridiculous and pedantic, not to mention well off-topic.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
No, it doesn't.
Well then, GET READY, READY, READY! RIGHT NOW AND ONLY NOW AND ONLY FOR YOU, YOU, YOU! I HAVE FOR SALE NOT FOUR, NOT THREE, NOT TWO BUT ONE, ONE AND ONLY ONE BRAND NEW BEACHFRONT HOME RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT!

Cash, check and credit cards accepted. Property not eligible for title insurance.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,087 times
Quote:
Well then, GET READY, READY, READY! RIGHT NOW AND ONLY NOW AND ONLY FOR YOU, YOU, YOU! I HAVE FOR SALE NOT FOUR, NOT THREE, NOT TWO BUT ONE, ONE AND ONLY ONE BRAND NEW BEACHFRONT HOME RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT!

Cash, check and credit cards accepted. Property not eligible for title insurance.
You have now made yourself utterly ridiculous and irrelevant. Not to mention you turned a thread which was based on a reasonable question into a worthless heap of electronic manure. Well done.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You have now made yourself utterly ridiculous and irrelevant. Not to mention you turned a thread which was based on a reasonable question into a worthless heap of electronic manure. Well done.
Thankfully, you're here to get us back on track.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Alright, everybody get back on track. - management

And please wash your hands before returning to work. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
WOW this thread sure has morfed from the orginal idea.

"Republicans take over Michigan government
So, Rick Snyder, "one tough nerd", stomped Bernero in the gubernatorial election and the Republicans also took the state House and Senate.

Now what? What kinds of changes do you think they'll make to the State of Michigan and will they actually be able to improve Michigan's economy and job market? Realistically, what do you think they'll be able to accomplish?"

Al
As I read Rick's Ten Point Plan, I don't see a single thing that I DON'T support, or anything that isn't a good idea. I also don't see anything that Jennifer Granholm also didn't support and try to accomplish in one way or another. That she and Rick might try to accomplish the same goals in different ways is understood..but their aims were and are not so different.

The TPP is a very broad brush...but as Granholm's second term makes all too clear, it's not really a Governor thing as much as it's a governance thing, and that's where Michigan has gone off the rails.

The legislature was and is dysfunctional. inept, amateurish, pathetic...need I go on?

Why is this? There is, of course, the influence of major interest groups, from corporate to union to religious, on and on. That's always been the case. Competing interests vying for the ear of legislators, for influence in how and what appears as law in Michigan, and also how it's interpreted (see MI Supreme Court "non-partisan" elections) in the real world.

What I see as one of the real stumbling blocks in the Michigan Renaissance is a simple thing...something the voters put in place not all that long ago: Term Limits
It was soooo easy for people to make simple assumptions - they'll serve their terms then go home- they won't be beholden to lobbyists because they'll be out of office after two terms- we've all heard this crap. And it is crap.
What has happened is that people just go on to another job, another elected office, their own lobbyist job, a position with a corporation board of directors, whatever. The notion that people would serve and then get out was beyond naive...they don't leave, they just change chairs.
The upshot of this in the legislature is that after this election a majority of House members don't even know where their office is when they show up in Lansing in January, much LESS how to do their job or what their job IS, or what they can and can't do. They don't know who to trust...cause they don't know much of anyone except their own party hacks.
So we get even more rancor, more empty rhetoric, budgets not adopted until the fiscal year is practically over...what an embarrassment. This year they went home for election season patting themselves on the back because they didn't wait until the very last moment to pass a budget...well Hoo frikin ray. It still wasn't done when it should have been.
Term limits turned out to be a perfect example of: Be careful what you wish for....you might actually get it.
It's the dumbest idea Michigan voters have had in a long, long time.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Well thanks for leading this nowhere.
By the way, what is a "genizer" and do you need to be gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) to be or do it? Just askin'

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Oh Jeez...I'm sorry...must be a real estate thing. Is it like broker or appraiser or inspector or something? My bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan