Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Jeeg, what do you mean by you had your independent agent run the numbers? Are you in Macomb county?
Not Jeeg, but I also use an independent insurance agent that has access to lots of different companies. When my insurance comes due (every 6 months for vehicle, 1 year for home owners) they run the same coverage through their different companies and then call me if they have any who will do the same insurance package for less. I don't have to ask, they do it automatically and so far in this area (Mason County) Frankenmuth has always been not only the lowest price, but best coverage. I have had a claim with them and couldn't bee happier with how it was handled, plus it didn't raise my rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 PM

98 posts, read 181,169 times
Start jogging,walking or use bicycles.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
After years of haggling , a law was finally passed making it illegal to base your insurance rates on your credit score . And in a days time a judge overturned the the law making it legal again . The catastrophic fund raised $25 per vehicle this year , even though that fund is already bursting at the seams . Insurance company execs gather and set that amount yearly and not the State . We have the highest seat belt compliance in the country in the high 90% range . I'm over 60 , my wife is 57 , neither of us have any tickets , clean driving record , live in Center Line , insure a 2003 Saturn , and pay $1300 a year . I would hate to live in Detroit , thats what I paid 12 years ago when I lived there , that amount has probably doubled . Because of the job situation in Michigan I'm sure there are alot of illegal drivers out there . It certainly seems like the auto insurance business is crooked

Old 11-12-2010, 03:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
After years of haggling , a law was finally passed making it illegal to base your insurance rates on your credit score . And in a days time a judge overturned the the law making it legal again . The catastrophic fund raised $25 per vehicle this year , even though that fund is already bursting at the seams . Insurance company execs gather and set that amount yearly and not the State . We have the highest seat belt compliance in the country in the high 90% range . I'm over 60 , my wife is 57 , neither of us have any tickets , clean driving record , live in Center Line , insure a 2003 Saturn , and pay $1300 a year . I would hate to live in Detroit , thats what I paid 12 years ago when I lived there , that amount has probably doubled . Because of the job situation in Michigan I'm sure there are alot of illegal drivers out there . It certainly seems like the auto insurance business is crooked
We also have no-fault, that makes it hard to compare state to state.

If you are ever in a personal injury accident, you will see the difference.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Car insurance rates is too damn high!
sorry...thats the Jimmy McMillan in me.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
In Michigan it isn't called crooked it is called legal robbery. Should be no reason for a uninsured moterest fund in a state with No fault insurance program. You have to show you have insurance to get new tags for the car/truck. If you drop the coverage the insurance companys should be required to notify the SS of that fact. The SS then can issue a show cause to the person they must have insurance or loose the privlage to drive.

I was driving 27 miles one way to work. Paid high rates because of the miles, when I retired and only drove about 12000 a year they only wanted to lower my rate by $25.00. With a KMA and a wave I was out the door and got a 400.00 cheaper rate else where.

Al

Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We also have no-fault, that makes it hard to compare state to state.

If you are ever in a personal injury accident, you will see the difference.
Difference in a good way or bad way?

While living in OH under "at fault" insurance, our vehicles licensed and insured in OH, my husband was rear ended by a kid who had borrowed his mom's BMW. It was a minor fender bender, but caused about $1500 in damages to our vehicle, and well over $5000 in damages to the other vehicle.

The first difference ... Their insurance took care of everything. My insurance didn't even get a call about this accident. They had Progressive. Within 24 hours, we were contacted by their adjuster with the claim # and details, told to get 3 quotes from shops of our choice, and how to get the info submitted.

The second difference ... Did I mention they took care of everything? The adjuster was in touch with us on a regular basis to know what to expect. The following day, my husband went into the ER for a follow up due to neck pain, etc. The bills were all paid directly by Progressive.

The third difference ... Settlement. Once the vehicle was paid for (check in hand took about 5 business days), all bills were submitted, my husband was paid for time off work due and then granted a settlement for the 'pain and suffer' / 'inconvenience' of the accident.

The fourth difference ... This never went against our insurance score. Every insured person has a 'score' that the insurance companies check to determine how much of a liability you are. If someone has accident claims, even if they are not at fault, they are still claims against the insurance company. If you're in an at fault state, the claim goes against the person who is at fault.

The fifth difference ... If you don't have a record of claims, you're not paying the premium that comes with it. My insurance rates were a lot better in OH than in MI. We had 2 fully insured vehicles with low deductibles and towing plus renters insurance for about $1300/yr.

My experience in OH was a lot smoother than my experience in MI with claims. The only bad part is you have pray that the offending driver is carrying coverage, but you also carry non-insured coverage.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Medial costs are skyrocketing. That is one reason your rates went up.

Also, living in Macomb county will give you a higher base.
Higher as compared to outstate Michigan, or higher as compared to other metro counties?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Difference in a good way or bad way?

While living in OH under "at fault" insurance, our vehicles licensed and insured in OH, my husband was rear ended by a kid who had borrowed his mom's BMW. It was a minor fender bender, but caused about $1500 in damages to our vehicle, and well over $5000 in damages to the other vehicle.

The first difference ... Their insurance took care of everything. My insurance didn't even get a call about this accident. They had Progressive. Within 24 hours, we were contacted by their adjuster with the claim # and details, told to get 3 quotes from shops of our choice, and how to get the info submitted.

The second difference ... Did I mention they took care of everything? The adjuster was in touch with us on a regular basis to know what to expect. The following day, my husband went into the ER for a follow up due to neck pain, etc. The bills were all paid directly by Progressive.

The third difference ... Settlement. Once the vehicle was paid for (check in hand took about 5 business days), all bills were submitted, my husband was paid for time off work due and then granted a settlement for the 'pain and suffer' / 'inconvenience' of the accident.

The fourth difference ... This never went against our insurance score. Every insured person has a 'score' that the insurance companies check to determine how much of a liability you are. If someone has accident claims, even if they are not at fault, they are still claims against the insurance company. If you're in an at fault state, the claim goes against the person who is at fault.

The fifth difference ... If you don't have a record of claims, you're not paying the premium that comes with it. My insurance rates were a lot better in OH than in MI. We had 2 fully insured vehicles with low deductibles and towing plus renters insurance for about $1300/yr.

My experience in OH was a lot smoother than my experience in MI with claims. The only bad part is you have pray that the offending driver is carrying coverage, but you also carry non-insured coverage.
The difference is in the PIP.

Had he been hurt he would have received.....

85% of his wages for two years.

Four hours a day for replacement services. (yard work, house cleaning, anything he would have done) You could have been paid.

100% medical for LIFE. MY hubby was in an accident in 98. He still gets is doctors and meds paid for. Plus mileage.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Yes, you need un-insured. AND UNDER INSURED!!!

500,000/500,000 at the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan