Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times

Advertisements

Left D. in '69. Dont miss it. Look at Florida and this site;

https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/pe...A==)/logon.htm

No state income tax. Yes, it gets hot in the sum., but I'm out in a t-shirt after work nowadays. There are big swings in temp., 60 degrees riding to work on my M/C then returning home and its 80 deg. Try to get hooked up with a federal or state J_O_B....G/L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 AM

118 posts, read 442,420 times
Having moved to NYC from metro Detroit, I completely agree with everything that has been said in this thread. However, $100K a year is only necessary if you want to live right in Manhattan. There are very nice parts of Brooklyn and Queens that offer more space and affordability. This is where most working and middle class New Yorkers reside. For example, to live in a decent apartment in Manhattan in a decent neighborhood you will have to pay at least $1500 per month (and this is considered a bargain, the average rent is $2800). There is also huge competition for rent stabilized apartments so when you do find that perfect place odds are pretty high someone's already taken it. Speaking from experience. If you go into the outer boroughs you can probably find something decent for around $1000-1200. Keep in mind also that you don't need to have a car to get around so that trims a lot of money off your monthly expenses. The average New Yorker makes about $40-50K per year. Unemployment is about the national average, it isn't great admittedly. But if you are aggressive there are jobs to be had. An example of this is security jobs. These are not great paying positions but if you need income streaming in while you continue your search for a better job you can get a job there doing that immediately (as long as you have a clean record and no drug issues). I believe certain companies will pay for you to get your license to become armed. Once you have that, your pay can very easily double or triple. Just food for thought. Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 AM

293 posts, read 846,632 times
I just have to point out that in Michigan it's also hard to get a job even if you have a college degree - my husband and I both thought our employment prospects would improve if we went back to school and we've both finished bachelor's degrees in the past 3 years, but neither of us has been able to get a better job. It's very hard to succeed in MI unless you have a lot of experience in very in-demand fields. :/

Having lived in Dallas in the 90s and wanting to return, I can say that it isn't easy to get a job there right now either. One of my best friends has been unemployed for 8 months in the Dallas area. My husband and I have both been sending out resumes all over the country and we haven't gotten a lot of interest. We have gotten the most response from San Antonio, for whatever that's worth. Places that are good right now seem to be Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, western Colorado (I have several friends who moved to Grand Junction, CO recently) and Washington DC. I have read many things about how bad the economy is in California, however.

I'm a big proponent of moving and few places are as bad for employment as Michigan, and I certainly want to get out again. But based on my own employment searches and those of some friends, there aren't any really hot boom areas in the country right now where you can easily get a high-paying job without a lot of experience in a field. You should certainly pursue opportunities elsewhere and you may find them, but I don't think there's anywhere you can move without a job lined up and expect to land on your feet quickly like you could a few years ago.

Last edited by wanderer74; 11-29-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 05:29 PM

83 posts, read 120,803 times
I'd say NY, Texas or Virginia. Real good states.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM

98 posts, read 180,156 times
Yeah life is bleak in Michigan.For the minority or the retired of course not.
In my short rides alone i can see like 6-10 rental trucks or trucks with homemade trailers.Houses now and later will go for less than brand new cars.There is no hope here

Last edited by pifler; 11-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Putting all my thoughts

Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,266 times
LeaveMI because it is a very depressed state, We moved to TX and the beautiful weather is making up for the tons of snow in MI. Cheaper to live here too.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM

103 posts, read 218,985 times
One little question.

What part of Virginia are looking to move to? (West or Northern VA)

I can speak for Virginia only because I have family down their. Virginia is great but how ever it has more snow then Michigan. It has great places to feel like home here in Great Michigan. But how ever they do not have Verniers and or certain stuff that Michigan sales in VA because of their laws or something like that.

California is great big expansive to live down their. Owning a house down their is so high up then here in Michigan, also more people are laid off.

New York is like Virginia but totally different tho.

When it comes down the unemployment for all of the states I have no clue, I will look into it once I decide to relocate like your self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootlipjr View Post
I'm posting this thread because my fiancee and I are trying to move out of Michigan. As a lot of Michiganders know, it's extremely tough to find a good paying, beneficial job without a college degree. We've made a list of a few states that peak our interest but don't really know much about which cities are balanced for our lifestyle and offer a moderately high employment rate. If someone could please give us some ideas of cities from our list of states based on job security, city safety and decent places to start a family, it would be greatly appreciated. The list we've come up with is as follows;

North Dakota
Virginia
New York
Texas
Colorado
California

'Edit: This list in Non-Exclusive, only prospective states that seem like fairly good choices. ANY information would be undoubtedly helpful.'

Any information or ideas of cities would be a great help.
Thank You.

Last edited by Waterman120; 11-30-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM

125 posts, read 643,619 times
Western North Dakota needs all kind of workers. My husband just went out there from the Flint area. He is working at a company that offers housing.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,976,560 times
I would consider Minneapolis if you can stand the cold, it is a very clean city with a decent economy. Indianapolis is a nice town too.

Make sure you REALLY like winter before you move to those northern places though! I am not a winter person at all and am living in Charlotte, NC now. My winter coat is considered a spring jacket in MI, and I wore shorts and flip flops on Thanksgiving when we went to Charleston, SC - less than a 3 hour drive away.

If you like to go on vacations, look at the surrounding states to make sure you have what you like around you. I am 2 hours to the mountains, and 3 hours to the beach.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I would consider Minneapolis if you can stand the cold, it is a very clean city with a decent economy. Indianapolis is a nice town too.

Make sure you REALLY like winter before you move to those northern places though! I am not a winter person at all and am living in Charlotte, NC now. My winter coat is considered a spring jacket in MI, and I wore shorts and flip flops on Thanksgiving when we went to Charleston, SC - less than a 3 hour drive away.

If you like to go on vacations, look at the surrounding states to make sure you have what you like around you. I am 2 hours to the mountains, and 3 hours to the beach.
NC has just as high of unemployment as MI, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan