Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times

Advertisements

We always had real trees growing up, and I always enjoyed going out and cutting one down. We then went to artificial when I was married, and stayed that way till about 3 years ago when I really wanted a real tree again. now after 3 years we are going back to artificial not only because of the mess, but I almost cannot stand going out and cutting a perfectly good tree down, then tossing it after Christmas. Actually...I feel terrible watching it die and throwing it out. My favorite tree is the pine...so I think I am done killing one for our pleasure. Just curious what everyone else has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
Well we always go and buy a real tree at a local green house that sells them from their tree farm. They are already cut so it is not as though I am killing a tree so to speak. We like the smell and the family has fun "picking" out the tree. A big fun family ordeal actually. When Christmas is done the City takes them and recycles the wood for mulch to be used in landscaping for the city parks. Marquette will also have mulch for city residents to use in their own yards.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:09 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
Real all the way!!! Nothing like a real tree, my favorite is a frasier fir, little to no mess. And remember for every tree that is cut down, 3 more are planted.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
There are Christmas tree farms all around me here, I know several of the owners and the Cub Scouts are starting to sell them to send boys to camp... I about have to have a real tree . Plus I like them much better anyway.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
Only real trees in my house!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
If it were up to me there would be no tree in my house, well, maybe a saguaro cactus, but we have a fake tree. My wife and her sister put it up last night. My HOA won't allow real ones due to the fire hazard, although I saw one on the roof of a car a couple of years ago. I'm not a fan of Christmas decoration (except for LED lights) as I believe in the Law of Decorational Gravity: What gets put up must come down. My tree may stay up all year this time...I don't care to take it down and the missus isn't going to have time.

The huge drawback to the fake tree is storing the doggone thing all year long, and my basement is not that large to begin with.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Real. Anything else is an abomination before God and Man.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Real. Anything else is an abomination before God and Man.

I used to say things like this too, but last year I bought my first fake tree. I felt like scrooge or the grinch when I did it but I dont miss the mess of a real tree. I do however miss the smell, and Im sure this year Im going to feel like the grinch again when I put it up. The fake tree looks really good, and its much safer than a real tree. Its easier to clean up in January as well, but even with all these advantages I still have mixed feelings about it.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
A real tree of course!! As Joe said above, we buy them from sustainable Christmas tree farms and the city recycles them into mulch when we're done with them.

As for a mess, we rarely ever have one. We lay a Christmas tree bag underneath the tree before setting it up. Keep the tree well watered and lightly mist it every few days (helps make the smell last longer too). When we're done, we take the ornaments and lights off. Lift the bag over the tree and carry it out. Take the bag off for next years tree. Do a quick vacuum job and I'm usually done long before my mother is who has a large artificial tree.

Edit: Once we buy our next home we'll be doing living Christmas trees. My Aunt & Uncle have been doing this for years. After Christmas they move it out to the attached greenhouse until it's time to plant it. They can tell you where each tree from any specific prior Christmas is (since they started the tradition).

Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
I always had a real tree growing up and when I first got my house. I loved going out and getting it, hauling it home, watering it, the smell of it... I made a homemade tree skirt out of a piece of heavy carpet that looked unconventional but kinda cool. But in recent years I gave in to using a fake tree too. We've had a few given to us over time and they don't take much room to store. Used to be able to get a cheap real tree but not anymore, they're like $30 now and not even that good. Haven't had my kid for the last 7 xmases so it's just not the same anymore anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan