Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,880,251 times

Advertisements

Just released , the Peter White Public Library in Marquette has been awarded as among the top 5 Museum/Library's in the Country. The Library will receive 10,000 along with National recognition and a History Channel feature program on the facility.
This is a big deal for Marquette , its arts and culture , to be selected out of all the many others all across the land. Each year the National Endowment selects only five Libraries to receive this award. If you have not been to the Library , I encourage you to do so , its a wonderful learning center , right here on the edge of the wilds, da U.P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM

760 posts, read 2,432,278 times
Definitely one of our favorite places here within the city!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,864,360 times
Congrats Marquette! Trophy case must be overflowing....

Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Congrats Marquette! Trophy case must be overflowing....
It is ...and , its also nice that along with economic expansion , we are respecting our long standing historical places, and learning centers.
The latest news on economic expansion is a new "mega Mall" west of Marquette. It will be called " The shops of Marquette" and will include three national brand department stores. Building will start soon with announcements in the spring of who they are. The opening of Best Buy was a huge sauces last week. The new Mall will be across the street, next to Lowe's. Our Lake front development is ongoing, with construction to continue all winter long I am told on the new Hampton Inn Hotel and boardwalk.... Local Contractors are quite busy here in Marquette these days. The relocation of the County Historical Society museum into the restored transportation complex also will have its grand opening in January.An impresive reconstruction.... Word on the street is we may be instore for a new eletronics Manufacturing business soon..stay tuned.
I only hope we can balance our new growth,prosperity, with our natural beauty and restoration efforts which will be ongoing for quite some time. Marquette IS on the move, one of the real bright spots in Michigan, that promises a shining future.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It is ...and , its also nice that along with economic expansion , we are respecting our long standing historical places, and learning centers.
The latest news on economic expansion is a new "mega Mall" west of Marquette. It will be called " The shops of Marquette" and will include three national brand department stores. Building will start soon with announcements in the spring of who they are. The opening of Best Buy was a huge sauces last week. The new Mall will be across the street, next to Lowe's. Our Lake front development is ongoing, with construction to continue all winter long I am told on the new Hampton Inn Hotel and boardwalk.... Local Contractors are quite busy here in Marquette these days. The relocation of the County Historical Society museum into the restored transportation complex also will have its grand opening in January.An impresive reconstruction.... Word on the street is we may be instore for a new eletronics Manufacturing business soon..stay tuned.
I only hope we can balance our new growth,prosperity, with our natural beauty and restoration efforts which will be ongoing for quite some time. Marquette IS on the move, one of the real bright spots in Michigan, that promises a shining future.
Thats awesome! I sure hope that Marquette will continue to know its the natural beauty that sets it apart. Seems like they are doing a great job so far, so hope it stays course.
Whats the shipping like up there...by freighter I mean. Are there always boats coming and going..and what are they bringing/taking?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Thats awesome! I sure hope that Marquette will continue to know its the natural beauty that sets it apart. Seems like they are doing a great job so far, so hope it stays course.
Whats the shipping like up there...by freighter I mean. Are there always boats coming and going..and what are they bringing/taking?
We have for the most part , 2 commercial docks. The Freighters bring in coal, for both Power Plants. The WE Energy Power Plant supplies all the power for Cliff's Mines. The gravity feed ore dock is also there, and Tacanate is shipped out to the mills downstate and along the Great lakes.Cliff's own the railroad that delivers the tackonite to the ore dock. There are 2 remaining iron ore mines still producing, In Palmer , about 5 miles from my house , by crow. ( The same ore vein goes under my mountain and I can feel blasting sometimes, they are open pit mines).
We have also a lot of International Traffic as well. The Mines supply the steel mills in Ontario also. The ships also bring in salt , and a special product for processing the Iron Ore , which is trucked everyday from the harbor to the Mines and the smelters.
A lot of taconite ore is also shipped out by rail to Escaonaba , and to freighters there. CN ( Canadian National) now owns the Soo Line, which is the only long haul railroad left in the U.P.... They will be hauling the crushed nickle ,gold,silver from the new mines, starting next year. Further processing of the nickle ore will be in Canada. The mines are owned by Rio Tinto ( Kennecott), a Canadian based Company ( worlds largest).
We have several , about 20 , Mines that have been shut down in past years , mostly Iron ore, but also Gold mines and Copper mines. Some are considering starting up again , due to the high demand and price of PMs, and , Minerals/commodities.... All these mines are underground , and not open pitt...The gold and silver is considered a by product of the nickle mining.. All our forest products are shipped out to local mills by truck these days, in Wisconsin and other parts of the U.P.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
We have for the most part , 2 commercial docks. The Freighters bring in coal, for both Power Plants. The WE Energy Power Plant supplies all the power for Cliff's Mines. The gravity feed ore dock is also there, and Tacanate is shipped out to the mills downstate and along the Great lakes.Cliff's own the railroad that delivers the tackonite to the ore dock. There are 2 remaining iron ore mines still producing, In Palmer , about 5 miles from my house , by crow. ( The same ore vein goes under my mountain and I can feel blasting sometimes, they are open pit mines).
We have also a lot of International Traffic as well. The Mines supply the steel mills in Ontario also. The ships also bring in salt , and a special product for processing the Iron Ore , which is trucked everyday from the harbor to the Mines and the smelters.
A lot of taconite ore is also shipped out by rail to Escaonaba , and to freighters there. CN ( Canadian National) now owns the Soo Line, which is the only long haul railroad left in the U.P.... They will be hauling the crushed nickle ,gold,silver from the new mines, starting next year. Further processing of the nickle ore will be in Canada. The mines are owned by Rio Tinto ( Kennecott), a Canadian based Company ( worlds largest).
We have several , about 20 , Mines that have been shut down in past years , mostly Iron ore, but also Gold mines and Copper mines. Some are considering starting up again , due to the high demand and price of PMs, and , Minerals/commodities.... All these mines are underground , and not open pitt...The gold and silver is considered a by product of the nickle mining.. All our forest products are shipped out to local mills by truck these days, in Wisconsin and other parts of the U.P.
Thanks Dar..very interesting!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dar..very interesting!
I should also add that the Ore freighters are mostly owned by the Steel Mills. We have on average 2-3 ships in the North harbor daily, in a good year.The South harbor is where the Marquette Board of light & Power Steam plant is, that produces all the electric for Marquette and surounding areas. They also produce power from Hydro ( being rebuilt in part after the dam broke a few years ago on the Dead River) We have a wood by- product being produced at the old Sawyer Airport that is also being used at the steam plant.
The Mining Journal publishes daily which ships are in harbor. Its very interesting to go down and watch them unload ...and load the ore. The north ore dock is the only remaining operating one.... The south ore dock is closed and is being considered as a city development project, for shops/stores, lots of ideas......These are huge vessels, some only operate in Lake Superior due to their size., some at over 1,000 foot long. We still have a vessel or two that was operating when the Fitz went down. Namely the Arthur Anderson at 767 foot....Marquette remains one of the major ports on the Great lakes, for Iron Ore shipping from the U.P.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I should also add that the Ore freighters are mostly owned by the Steel Mills. We have on average 2-3 ships in the North harbor daily, in a good year.The South harbor is where the Marquette Board of light & Power Steam plant is, that produces all the electric for Marquette and surounding areas. They also produce power from Hydro ( being rebuilt in part after the dam broke a few years ago on the Dead River) We have a wood by- product being produced at the old Sawyer Airport that is also being used at the steam plant.
The Mining Journal publishes daily which ships are in harbor. Its very interesting to go down and watch them unload ...and load the ore. The north ore dock is the only remaining operating one.... The south ore dock is closed and is being considered as a city development project, for shops/stores, lots of ideas......These are huge vessels, some only operate in Lake Superior due to their size., some at over 1,000 foot long. We still have a vessel or two that was operating when the Fitz went down. Namely the Arthur Anderson at 767 foot....Marquette remains one of the major ports on the Great lakes, for Iron Ore shipping from the U.P.
Thanks very much! I was kinda wondering what the ship traffic was like. When we come up that way next year I want to take our kids to watch one unload or load. I am fascinated by those big monsters...part of the reason I would love to live up that way.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 PM

760 posts, read 2,432,278 times
Quote:
The latest news on economic expansion is a new "mega Mall" west of Marquette. It will be called " The shops of Marquette" and will include three national brand department stores. Building will start soon with announcements in the spring of who they are.
Do you have a link for this? I've read it's just going to be a larger strip mall, not a "mega mall". One national furniture store, and one national department store anchoring each end of the large strip mall........ but our current Westwood Mall will still be the only "indoor mall".

Just curious as to what the correct information is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan