U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 15,693 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am considering moving to Michigan from California and was wondering if anyone had any info about anything I should know. I have relatives in Farwell but I am more interested in living farther north (Upper Peninsula?) because I don't like humidity and I am scared of bugs so I need to live somewhere colder than here. I am sick of California. It's overcrowded, too expensive, and if you don't speak spanish, you can't get a job anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,752,883 times
If you speak Spanish in most of the UP, Yoopers will probably slap you.
There are many bugs in the summer, however.

Have you researched Marquette? It's much nicer than Escanaba.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 PM

999 posts, read 3,188,535 times
Quote:
because I don't like humidity and I am scared of bugs so I need to live somewhere colder than here.
Do you ever watch the History Channel when they show the Japanese torpdedo bombers that hit Pearl Harbor? That's what the mosquitos in the UP look like. The horse flies look like Huey gunships. They grow stronger while they hibernate over the Winter to get bigger and bolder for the next season. Where in CA did you live that makes you think the UP is acceptably humid and less bugified?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 AM

500 posts, read 1,297,948 times
I recently moved to the Muskegon area and so far it has been a great summer--mostly highs in the 70s-80s, lows in the 50s-60s, and mosquitos have not been a problem. But we had a late frost this year, so there may be fewer bugs than usual.

Mosquitos and blackflies can be a problem in n. lower Michigan and the UP once you get outside of the cities, but if you live in town they're not so bad. I lived in Houghton/Hancock for several years, and didn't find the bugs all that bad. But I've heard tales of prison escapees running back to the prison they escaped from because the bugs in the surrounding woods and swamps were so bad.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:17 PM

50 posts, read 166,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Do you ever watch the History Channel when they show the Japanese torpdedo bombers that hit Pearl Harbor? That's what the mosquitos in the UP look like. The horse flies look like Huey gunships. They grow stronger while they hibernate over the Winter to get bigger and bolder for the next season. Where in CA did you live that makes you think the UP is acceptably humid and less bugified?
I'm assuming since she said she is scared of bugs, that she hates the roaches and beetles and locusts and things that are the size of a small puppy crawling or flying around where she lives. A couple of mosquitos and flies never bothered me, other than an itch or two now and then, and I'm terrified of those other bugs I mentioned (which are crazy out west!) Everytime I go back to MI, it seems the mosquitos have declined in population b/c I don't get the bites I used to remember (unless they've just lost their taste for me?)

Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

999 posts, read 3,188,535 times
Quote:
But I've heard tales of prison escapees running back to the prison they escaped from because the bugs in the surrounding woods and swamps were so bad.
That's funny. I heard the same thing up around Copper Harbor somewhere? There's an old Air Force radar station in the woods that I was looking around that's now some kind of juvenile detention facility. Some guy around there told me the same story about some city kids who "escaped" into a cedar swamp up there. I think they had to go out and rescue them from their Stalag 17 adventure.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 AM

505 posts, read 1,412,571 times
Default bugs

Hi there,

Michigan does have bugs. I moved here almost a year ago from Southern Oregon. I loved that other than yellow jackets, black widows, and an occasional ant, there were no bugs in S. Oregon.

Here, I've seen lots of bugs of many different types... caterpillars, flies, mosquitos, ants, spiders, etc.... BUT, the winters here are so cold that from October to April, I never see any bugs at all.

The cost of living here is incredible cheap compared to the West Coast. We can live on one income (I have 2 kids), and have a much nicer house on a bit over an acre in the woods. There are lakes here instead of mountains, and you have to love snow. I like it a lot (we live in the Norhtern lower pen). Plus, the schools here are incredible, even in tiny rural areas like we're in. Health care is great and much cheaper here too.

One thing that has really surprised me this summer is, that while this area has very low population during much of the year, the lakes and plentiful vacation houses (yes, people here can afford not one, but 2 houses) bring tons of people up from Detroit, Chicago, and other huge metro areas. When you look at a population density map of the US, there are massive amounts of people here, compared to the West. Yes, the UP, and Norhtern MI are sparsely populated, but within a few hours, there are millions of people, and summers up here, while beautiful and mild are much crazier and lively than I expected.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 PM

59 posts, read 150,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtec99 View Post
Hello. I am considering moving to Michigan from California and was wondering if anyone had any info about anything I should know. I have relatives in Farwell but I am more interested in living farther north (Upper Peninsula?) because I don't like humidity and I am scared of bugs so I need to live somewhere colder than here. I am sick of California. It's overcrowded, too expensive, and if you don't speak spanish, you can't get a job anymore.
Tamtec99...As someone who has lived in Michigan for 48 of my 49 years I wondered if you have looked into the Traverse City area which is in the upper part of the state on the west/Lake Michigan side...Very progressive, larger city, somewhat upscale, with fantastic scenery. Does get quite a bit of Lake effect snow which may or may not suite you. Do yourself the favor and Google it just to see what it's all about. You wont be disappointed. "Topher". (p.s...I would consider living there but am more of a "really" big water person ( Ocean ) so I am checking out Oregon in the fall!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM

505 posts, read 1,412,571 times
Oregon has the most beautiful coast line that I've ever seen. We just did the opposite move you're considering. I really miss Oregon, but it's way too far away from our families, and the cost of living has become WAY too high there. The whole coast line is public, which is so incredible. The all-private lakefronts here in Michigan really bum me out! We finally did get a VERY old used boat so that we could enjoy them from the water, since that seems to be about the only way you can in many places. I never knew boating could be so addictive! After a winter here, I don't want to ever live without snow, and now I'm putting lakes high on a list of future places to live.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM

87 posts, read 277,350 times
hey man i live in los angeles near lax i lived in michigan in highland park(detroit city) to be exact. MIchigan is cold and there is so much union there. I love CALi ya there is alot of spanish speaking and crap but we are near mexico. If u move from cali to mi u will be in CUltue shock for a while trust me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan