Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
One thing I was a little shocked to read is that the Dem to Repub ratio in Traverse City is 39 to 59%.
And we like it that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 08:25 AM

I've lived in TC since 1986 and while it is a beautiful place with lots to offer, the cost of living is high relative to wages. The saying here is 'half your pay is a view of the bay'. I'm lucky to have that from my desk here at work across the street from the open space, but I'm so sick of having to work two jobs to make ends meet! I've visited PH several times while working my pt job, and it is a nice enough town, but IMNSHO, it doesn't have as much to offer as TC, but is within an easy driving distance to a lot of stuff.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 26,823 times
Default TC is a Blue town...

Originally Posted by jimdc58
One thing I was a little shocked to read is that the Dem to Repub ratio in Traverse City is 39 to 59%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
And we like it that way!

Not true... these statistics are for Grand Traverse County.

The city of Traverse City has voted democratic in the last couple of major elections (president, governor). It has been trending democratic and will continue to do so (even republican party will acknowledge this).

And that's the way we like it!

So, if you are looking to live among democrats, they are in the majority in TC (not sure I would go so far as to say they are all liberal, but you will find a healthy liberal/progressive population). If you are looking to live in more conservative area, then look to the outlying county.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM

MichBlue, I was talking about the region as a whole.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
MichBlue, I was talking about the region as a whole.
But, as we know, you needed to differentiate.
Are you including Leelenau County?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 PM

No matter how you slice it, TC and the surrounding area doesn't lean liberal.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones20 View Post
Here is my problem with Traverse City. You have to work very hard to afford to live here. It's expensive due to all the retirees from more affluent places retiring here. So you must work very long hours to afford to live here.
What is it that is so expensive? Taxes? Utilities? Real Estate? All of the above? Something else?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:13 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
I LOVE Port Huron. I have visited there since I was very young, and consider it my true home. The person who said the people are down to earth was right on. I think the city has a lot of charm with the modern amenities. The areas near the bridge have a nice river walk, and while the houses might seem a little "poorer" the homeowners seem to take pride in their homes all the same, and the nasty chemical valley in Sarnia isn't visible from up there. Look up Acheson Ventures. Jim Acheson, a former resident, now wildly wealthy, is single handedly helping (in a big way) to revive deadened portions of Port Huron. The downtown is failrly dead, but it IS showing signs of life.

Any other questions about Port Huron, I'm sure I can answer, and would be very happy to do so.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 23,498 times
I family in PH and its okay,but not the most exciting place to live. The racial diversity is non-existant,the job market sucks,and the area has changed somewhat from what I remember as a youth visiting my grandparents for the summer. As the other posters mentioned the North end of town is the better half and would probably suit you as far as relocation is concerned. There is not much to do in PH,but I will say the people are friendly,but its just not the most thriving area..but nice to visit.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM

178 posts, read 701,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What is it that is so expensive? Taxes? Utilities? Real Estate? All of the above? Something else?
Real Estate is extremely expensive. Why? I have no clue. It just is.

Property Tax is high compared to other states and usually the perks of snow removal, road maintainence, etc. are OKAY at best - so it isn't like you're getting a great deal.

Utilities is high only that Propane/Natural Gas can be very high since winters are so cold and long in Michigan. Although TC I will admit is better off than places east of it like Kalkaska, Mancelona, etc. The SNOW BELT is east of Traverse Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan