Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No way.
**ahem** yes way.

Does this happen frequently.....no way. But it does happen. Especially (as Robhu mentioned) when alcohol is involved. The chemical already causes blood to flow to outer extremities when you body's natural defense is to do the opposite.

Can you freeze in the middle of the night while asleep? No, not when it involves a normally healthy individual...the shaking/shivvering will awake you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I see you have a thread in another part of CD about this.

Are you concerned for a loved one??
No. Just curious how someone can freeze to death so fast overnight without anyone finding that person like someone who is homeless or passed out outside from being too drunk to find shelter

Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I read the OP's other thread and someone had posted this story...Eight people froze to death in Michigan last January, according to that.

Edit: In some cities, volunteer organizations go out when it's very cold looking for homeless/passed out people. Try to get them to a shelter or at least give them blankets and make sure they're OK.
But people go into abandoned buildings, on private property, in places where they might be missed...awful and lonely way to go, I think.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
No. Just curious how someone can freeze to death so fast overnight without anyone finding that person like someone who is homeless or passed out outside from being too drunk to find shelter
An old couple in rural Michigan last year, slipped in their driveway getting out the car (she slipped, and he was trying to help her and slipped), couldn't get up, and they both froze to death overnight. No one saw them until the next morning. Really sad story.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM

271 posts, read 664,881 times
Quote:
Can you freeze in the middle of the night while asleep? No, not when it involves a normally healthy individual...the shaking/shivvering will awake you.
Years aI used to have a long drive to work and home wasn't a good place to be anyway, so I'd take care of my needs in town and sleep in my car in the work parking lot. People said I'd freeze to death, but I always woke up when I got too cold then I'd run the heater for awhile.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Years aI used to have a long drive to work and home wasn't a good place to be anyway, so I'd take care of my needs in town and sleep in my car in the work parking lot. People said I'd freeze to death, but I always woke up when I got too cold then I'd run the heater for awhile.
I've camped during elk hunts at 10,000ft (colorado) and believe me when the fire goes out and the temps are in the teens....that first chill that runs down your spine will JOLT you awake

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
Think it was last winter the power company shut a elderly mans power off in Bay city. He died in his cold home.

Al

Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Think it was last winter the power company shut a elderly mans power off in Bay city. He died in his cold home.

Al
I remember that. He had the money, just did not pay the bill.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM

98 posts, read 181,169 times
Almost all houses in the SE are old and guess what range their heating bill comes at?People need to be aware of this and so they can avoid this nightmare.Michigan has a very high heating cost and the water is expensive as hell even though it is in such abundance.Other services are higher than other states as well.Always overpriced like it is DisneyLand.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
Almost all houses in the SE are old and guess what range their heating bill comes at?People need to be aware of this and so they can avoid this nightmare.Michigan has a very high heating cost and the water is expensive as hell even though it is in such abundance.Other services are higher than other states as well.Always overpriced like it is DisneyLand.
Try living in the Northeast if you think Michigan is high priced when it comes to heat. Heating cost for Michigan is middle of the road compared to the other Northern tier states. All the utilities here are much cheaper than in the Northeast as well. Electricity is 1/2 the price most NE states pay, and the heating is majority Natural Gas in MI which is MUCH cheaper than the Fuel Oil that is used in the NE. You should try to get your "facts" at least close to being right before posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan