U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 AM

525 posts, read 675,507 times

Advertisements

How long does it take for a person to freeze to death when its bitter cold outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:17 AM

2,178 posts, read 5,111,493 times
Depends on how bitter the cold is. And if there is a wind chill factor.
Frostbite can occur on exposed flesh in a few minutes in certain conditions.
Death usualy takes a few hours on land and a shorter time in cold water. As long as a body is trembling there is a chance of survival.
Once the inner body core temp lowers to where the trembling stops, death is near.
I remember when I was a little kid a man was found dead a half block away from our house.
He was laying in a ditch and was found to have left a local bar and was walking home. He got cold, sleepy, lethargic, and laid down to rest.
He was found dead the next morning by a neighbor going to work.
Yes, a person can die overnight from extreme cold temps.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:26 AM

19,320 posts, read 7,535,043 times
No way.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,305 times
I'm not sure I want to know why this question was asked....!

Yes, of course they can. Depending on all sorts of factors. I believe I've read that being intoxicated speeds the process. An elderly woman who was a neighbor many years ago had dementia and was living with her daughter...she let herself out of the house late one night and was found dead not too far away the following morning, froze to death. There was also that old man up in Saginaw or Bay City last year who couldn't afford to pay his consumers bill and froze to death in his home. Very, very sad story, it was all over the news.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 AM

12,134 posts, read 22,273,218 times
Yes you can freeze to death, just like you can die of heat stroke or exhaustion. Usually it is people who are at the edge. I don't mean that the terrible way it sounds, but just that you will not freeze to death working or playing outside no matter the temps. When you get cold, you go inside... problem solved, death avoided. It is when the person is in a situation where they cannot find shelter or warmth that they may freeze to death. Lost, homeless, without heat, mentally incapacitated (drunk, dementia, high, etc). The same group that is in danger in extreme heat situations of succumbing to heat stroke, or exhaustion and dieing.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 AM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
I believe a person who cannot afford the $500 month Edison costs and a homeless person sleeping outside over night can and have died when the temperatures drop below 20* or 30* and the person is unable to find shelter inside a building or have adequate protection from the weather.

Freezing or dieing from extreme cold is far more likely to happen to folks who are "at the edge" (whatever that means) than from heat. Otherwise healthy people can wait out a heat wave, but a cold snap that lasts an extended period of time and people cannot get to a heat source or warmer environment will cause more deaths. Kind of odd to compare the two extremes and see them as being "equal" when it comes to causing death when hypothermia seems much more dangerous and one doesn't have to be mentally incapacitated to succumb to its affects.

From yahoo! answers---

A person can perish from hypothermia at surprisingly moderate temperatures, although the colder it gets outside, the faster death can occur. Exposed skin can become frostbitten in less than ten minutes at subzero temps. If the body's core temp reaches 94 degrees Fahrenheit, death may occur.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-05-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 AM

362 posts, read 360,583 times
A year or so ago a elder lady steped out on her front porch to get the news paper. The dor closed on her with one of those locked door you can open from the inside with out unlocking. She froze to death on her front porch with in hours it was estmated.

Al

Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 11,240,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
How long does it take for a person to freeze to death when its bitter cold outside?
Is the person outside or inside? We lost our power last winter for a few days, and I think the lowest it got inside the house was 55 or so. I would think with enough covering, someone could survive in 55 degree temps. In an older home though, with horrible insulation, the temperature may plunge into the 40's.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM

525 posts, read 675,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Is the person outside or inside? We lost our power last winter for a few days, and I think the lowest it got inside the house was 55 or so. I would think with enough covering, someone could survive in 55 degree temps. In an older home though, with horrible insulation, the temperature may plunge into the 40's.
when the person is outside. I know alcohol can speed up the process of the person freezing to death.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 AM

22,268 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I see you have a thread in another part of CD about this.

Are you concerned for a loved one??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan