Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times

Advertisements

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Elmer T. Peterson

Are we there, yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I met with an employment agency in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago, and they have more job openings than they can fill. Yes, some are temp (but full time). The day I was there, they had over a thousand job openings, some with little to no experience needed (just basically no criminal record), some needed an advanced degree, many were in manufacturing, yet there were only a handful of people there applying on their computer systems.

They told me that when unemployment ran out earlier this year, they were able to fill a lot of the job openings, and applicants were out in force. When unemployment is extended, job applications drop precipitously (and they have to actually tell employers that they can't take any more job opening listings). What does that say?
In 2004, I was living in Michigan and couldn't find work. I didn't apply for unemployment, but I did need to apply for foodstamps finally. I thought I remembered that I had to keep looking/applying for jobs to keep receiving benefits. What happened to that rule? Or maybe I am thinking of another state... Something like that would certainly help to erradicate the above issue.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 11,766 times
That's funny!!, Am planning on moving to Michigan this spring and with all the nay sayers your post made me laugh...will bring the Bat shark repellant with me!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
How does one "earn the right" to collect unemployment? I don't begrudge those who collect but how did we get to the point that we "earned" wages + benefits for a days work and then some? I realize that employers pay into the system for a standard 13-26 weeks so they are there to collect, however, now we have extended the benefits and it is not the employers that pay but the taxpayers. If I were in that situation would I collect the benefits? Sure, but I would appreciate it as an extra blessing, not consider it a "right".
Maybe I misquoted myself there, I was thinking more in terms of unemployment benefits being akin to Social Security- you pay in, etc.- no personal attack intended--!

It just truly bothers me when people talk about those on unem. not wanting to take a job "beneath" them, such as at a fast food place, etc.- and make them seem more like slackers, you know? And no, I'm not on unemployment, and I've actually never collected in all my years.

Magellan, as to your post about the jobs in MI that they are having a hard time filling- if that is true, that's wonderful- and I can't imagine why people aren't jumping into it feet first-

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM

72 posts, read 150,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Maybe I misquoted myself there, I was thinking more in terms of unemployment benefits being akin to Social Security- you pay in, etc.- no personal attack intended--!

It just truly bothers me when people talk about those on unem. not wanting to take a job "beneath" them, such as at a fast food place, etc.- and make them seem more like slackers, you know? And no, I'm not on unemployment, and I've actually never collected in all my years.

Magellan, as to your post about the jobs in MI that they are having a hard time filling- if that is true, that's wonderful- and I can't imagine why people aren't jumping into it feet first-
I so agree about the people refusing fast food jobs being 'slackers'. How would you feel if you spent tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and years on your education? It is so easy for people to sit back and judge until they are put in the other person's shoes. A person with several advanced degrees should absolutely not have to work at McDonald's. Not only will they probably make less than their unemployment, it just diverts and distracts them by taking away time looking for a job in their field.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 AM

98 posts, read 181,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
In 2004, I was living in Michigan and couldn't find work. I didn't apply for unemployment, but I did need to apply for foodstamps finally. I thought I remembered that I had to keep looking/applying for jobs to keep receiving benefits. What happened to that rule? Or maybe I am thinking of another state... Something like that would certainly help to erradicate the above issue.
Yeah Michigan tanked out since 2001 and you probably could give it some gas till 2003 maybe?Life is very hard in Michigan now and some other states.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 AM

98 posts, read 181,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Not true- you can't find a job if there are no jobs to be had. I've noticed this type of thinking regarding people who are on unemployment, like they are losers or something for collecting it while they are looking for work (not meaning you, honestly)--I hear people say, "well, take a job at MickeyD's, etc. until you DO find something", but the truth is, it's hard to even get a job in a place like this when they aren't hiring either. And those who are collecting unem. earned the right.

I truly believe that the vast majority of people who are on unem. are desperate to work, and be able to find a job- but with the lack of jobs out there, well...not to mention the horrific competition for the few jobs that are available. Pretty bad when you have people who hold a bachelor's or even a master's working as a clerk at kmart.
That`s right,but some people who are well off and don`t need to work will say something along the lines you are hearing and seeing.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 AM

72 posts, read 150,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
That`s right,but some people who are well off and don`t need to work will say something along the lines you are hearing and seeing.
Agreed. It's usually the Republicans. In fact, it's almost always the Republicans. I can't help but think warm thoughts of them seeing it's the day before Christmas and the only reason many 99ers have checks still is because they didn't have the power to block it without protecting their precious 250K plus earners. I should know, my father is a fairly wealthy Repub who made his money in the glory days of the auto industry- and he is completely out of touch with the reality of what's happening. I told him I plan to volunteer at the soup kitchen and his response was 'Why support that kind of behavior? You'll never teach them anything if you keep feeding them!' The truth is most of them are just nice people who are down on their luck, but to him they'll always be nothing more than lazy bums who couldn't cut it.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:59 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMarie10 View Post
Agreed. It's usually the Republicans. In fact, it's almost always the Republicans. I can't help but think warm thoughts of them seeing it's the day before Christmas and the only reason many 99ers have checks still is because they didn't have the power to block it without protecting their precious 250K plus earners. I should know, my father is a fairly wealthy Repub who made his money in the glory days of the auto industry- and he is completely out of touch with the reality of what's happening. I told him I plan to volunteer at the soup kitchen and his response was 'Why support that kind of behavior? You'll never teach them anything if you keep feeding them!' The truth is most of them are just nice people who are down on their luck, but to him they'll always be nothing more than lazy bums who couldn't cut it.
I hate to admit it but my brother is one of those as well. He had the nerve to knock me because I was unemployed for 10 months. He asked " why didn't you get a job at Burger King or McDonalds?" Sure with a house payment, diabetic son, wife in school working shortened hours I could have really survived making $7 an hour. I would have been ok with a $12 an hour job but those were nowhere to be found. But to go off unemployment and make my family homeless for my pride would have been plain old stupid don't you think? He tried to use himself as an example. He said " I didn't collect a paycheck for 4 months while I had my stores just to make sure my employee's got paid". Yep and if my wife earned $100k like his I would not have had to worry about unemployment either. Very out of touch with how the old middle or lower class survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan