Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 12,667 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any opinions on the Mattawan and Portage school districts. I have a 5th grader and twins in 1st grade. We will be moving up from Texas, and excellent school districts are a top priority! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
I used to substitute in mattawan and LOVED it! great kids, great teachers, small class sizes, great atmosphere! I also have friends who teach there and would greatly recommend it....from my experience and hearing opinions, portage is not bad at all either....probably will come down to where you want to live!

Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Thank you, I'm leaning towards that district as well. I made a phone call to the admin. building and spoke with the nicest people! Very helpful! Thanks for your input!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 PM

259 posts, read 823,107 times
I am 23 with a younger sister who's 21 who both went K-12 at Mattawan. Its an excellent school like "mofromcheboygankalamazoo" stated. Can't think of one complaint that I would have about it. If you have any specific questions about it or anything just let me know and I would be glad to help you out.

I had friends who went to Portage Central and Northern. I really don't know much about the schools but everyone I've talked to loves them also.

Also looking at just Mattawan to Portage. Mattawan is called a village which its small compared to Portage. We only have one true sit down restaurant (Main St. Pub) but they are building a new little development right down the road from the school that will have a few restaurants/shops/condos.
There is a lot of new or fairly new neighborhoods going up in the farm lands (sad as my family farms), but they are full of young families. Its a very short drive into Kalamazoo/Portage. Its right next to I94 (highway) which if you go east on you will be in Portage in maybe 10-15 minutes A lot of people live in Mattawan and work/play in Portage also.

I would say Portage is more suburban living. It has some very nice parks, and bike trails. Its where Westnedge Ave is which is where Crossroads Mall is, along with just about every restaurant, Sam's Club, Meijers stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. There is a lot of nice neighborhoods in Portage also. Pfizer is a big employer (though they are cutting jobs left and right), it use to really boost Portage.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Both school districts are excellent. Mattawan may be a little better. Portage is really suburban, complete with subdivisions, strip malls and the like, while Mattawan has more of a rural, out-of-the-way feel (but it's only 10 minutes from Kalamazoo).

Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks for your input! Sounds like we can't go wrong either way! I'm pretty sad to be leaving Texas, but looking forward to lots of new things!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM

42 posts, read 83,338 times
Hi Burgesstx. I saw your post and wondered where your family ended up and if you are happy w/ the school district? The reason I am asking is because we are moving also and wondering which school district to choose, Portage or Mattawan. Thank you for your help!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,763 times
How about Texas Twp.!? In between those two suburbs..

Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 18,450 times
I grew up in TX Township, attended Portage Northern HS (decades ago), and have been living in MI recently. I worked at Mattawan, at the 'big' employer there, back in college. Apparently, Mattawan has been up and coming since I left, but it is rather small. Your preferences may vary, but the big difference in the towns is size. I found Portage stifling, and even Kalamazoo too small, culturally, and Mattawan is way too far (especially in winter) and too homogeneous for my taste, but I don't have kids. I was a teacher in AZ however, and while I have been back I was surprised to learn about the good rep. Mattawan has. As for Portage, according to my nephew who just graduated from Northern, Portage Central is the 'rich' school.

Texas Township used to be more rural, like Mattawan, but on the edge of Portage. Now there are some massive subdivisions here, where vineyards, farmland, and woods used to be. Some nice houses, but the suburbification continues. I think that's also what's been happening in Mattawan, though the local economy was set back a couple of years back, so that may forestall the process longer.

The other thing, depending on your situation, to possibly consider: 'Kalamazoo Promise' - free college for students of Kzoo schools. There are some very nice areas of Kalamazoo, but parts are more urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan