U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM

286 posts, read 1,113,578 times
1. Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't realize that every single post regarding Michigan HAD to include something to check out in Michigan. Someone asked me, specifically, a question... and I answered the question. Maybe you didn't read some of my other responses where I have included good areas to check out for those inquiring.

2. Yes, I made a generalization. I even mentioned that it was a generalization (and probably not applicable to ALL of Michigan or ALL of Ohio... hmm..). People make generalizations all the time... For instance, if someone who moved from Michigan says something not conforming to your opinion *gasp* they are generalized as a naysayer who wants to throw the entirety of Michigan in the dumpster. I have yet for you to point out that is what I stated that "threw Michigan in the dumpster."

I personally don't care how I label my GM family. They are and act they way they act, and I may or may not agree with the mindset of the GM worker / worker offspring. Doesn't mean ALL families with a GM background act this way, but it certainly has consumed my family. The sad part is ... I have seen this sort of way of life for those not apart of GM families. I have seen it throughout Michigan in many different types of families from many different backgrounds. Maybe it is the class of people around Lansing, not necessarily those involved with GM (since there is only 1 GM worker within my family, but all mindsets revolved around this mindset throughout the family), seem to have the mindset that I have noticed and speak about... It is pretty hard to say...

3. I can handle challenge just fine. What I can also do is point out what I have and have not said. You have not quoted a point where I told the OP to stay away, all is lost mentality. You also haven't acknowledged that the point behind my post was to discuss other options in the Midwest in the case that Michigan won't work out for the individual that asked (and is that not the truth? Was I suppose to tell the individual to put that question elsewhere on the forum just so I could answer him... because I didn't have permission from the do-gooders still residing in Michigan?). Don't jump down someone's throat because they left due to financial circumstances.... its not right. Just as it is not right to tell everyone to stay away, Michigan is a horrible place to be.

You are so quick to accuse and point fingers, yet, you waste all this time arguing with something I never said than offering something constructive yourself. I have already added something constructive... and then got jumped for doing it.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM

33 posts, read 74,217 times
be careful in coming back to Michigan....I am on my way out. Born and raised in Cleveland...have been living in suburban Detroit for 4 years..young family, white collar worker BUT I have been part of two office closings/relocations in the last 3 years....i have managed to keep my job barely as I am in management...but close to 70 people reporting to me and my peers were all let go(in the last 90 days). We are not even connected to the auto industry either....banking/finance. Michigan is a TOUGH climate....I like it here but am leaving because I have a family to support...we are going to the Southeast...simply put for the better economy and better opportunities.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM

2,258 posts, read 2,448,713 times
same here, I got family in east Tenn and Orlando and as soon as my wife graduates this fall with her bachelors in Accounting we will join the exodus. I grew up in south Miami but mom was from the UP and her side of the family runs deep up here (my great grandfather has a lake named after him in the hiawatha national forest). Leaving wont be easy but ive been working these sorry assed jobs up here for to long and I think I need to put my wife in a position to at least try to establish a wothwhile career. Downstate always seemed like the grass is greener for jobs, the economy in the up has always been anemic. I also have a bachelors in Business and an AAS in computer networking, im currently a part time bus driver after working in a machine shop for several years. That job ended when the business clsoed and all the work went to Canada and Mexico. Retrained (NAFTA) in Networking and couldnt find a job up here if my life depended on it (which it does).

Yesterday driving along the shore of Little Bay De Noc i stopped the car to let the wife and kids observe a couple of mute Swans and their cygnets that have taken up a home here. And today Driving the bus I had to take a customer to a small town about 20 miles out. On the way back in I saw this huge bald eagle right in the middle of a crumbling parking lot of a defuct business and this bird was just big and healthy as an Eagle can get. And along the fence at the airport in town has ben 3 pairs of sandhill cranes just living out there. I spent my entire lunch the other day watching them. Today I go by and theres a beautiful red fox trotting around out there also. He didnt seem to be bothering the cranes.

I'll miss the UP and her beauty, I dont know much about the state once you cross the bridge.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,527,091 times
I've got a huge sinus headache, but I'll be up in the UP in a few weeks for a couple of days. Super clean air: it really helps to clear the head.

Indiana and Ohio are culturally more southern and the economic situations are only marginally better than Michigan. (Oh, and Ohio sucks ... you can't expect me to not bring it up again here!) That's why people move from Michigan to go to the magical mystical sunbelt destinations, such as Arizona and North Carolina. As an added bonus, you get to mix in there with all the California and New Jersey refugees! "How great is that?!"

Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 AM

7,123 posts, read 10,511,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
1. Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't realize that every single post regarding Michigan HAD to include something to check out in Michigan. Someone asked me, specifically, a question... and I answered the question. Maybe you didn't read some of my other responses where I have included good areas to check out for those inquiring.

2. Yes, I made a generalization. I even mentioned that it was a generalization (and probably not applicable to ALL of Michigan or ALL of Ohio... hmm..). People make generalizations all the time... For instance, if someone who moved from Michigan says something not conforming to your opinion *gasp* they are generalized as a naysayer who wants to throw the entirety of Michigan in the dumpster. I have yet for you to point out that is what I stated that "threw Michigan in the dumpster."

I personally don't care how I label my GM family. They are and act they way they act, and I may or may not agree with the mindset of the GM worker / worker offspring. Doesn't mean ALL families with a GM background act this way, but it certainly has consumed my family. The sad part is ... I have seen this sort of way of life for those not apart of GM families. I have seen it throughout Michigan in many different types of families from many different backgrounds. Maybe it is the class of people around Lansing, not necessarily those involved with GM (since there is only 1 GM worker within my family, but all mindsets revolved around this mindset throughout the family), seem to have the mindset that I have noticed and speak about... It is pretty hard to say...

3. I can handle challenge just fine. What I can also do is point out what I have and have not said. You have not quoted a point where I told the OP to stay away, all is lost mentality. You also haven't acknowledged that the point behind my post was to discuss other options in the Midwest in the case that Michigan won't work out for the individual that asked (and is that not the truth? Was I suppose to tell the individual to put that question elsewhere on the forum just so I could answer him... because I didn't have permission from the do-gooders still residing in Michigan?). Don't jump down someone's throat because they left due to financial circumstances.... its not right. Just as it is not right to tell everyone to stay away, Michigan is a horrible place to be.

You are so quick to accuse and point fingers, yet, you waste all this time arguing with something I never said than offering something constructive yourself. I have already added something constructive... and then got jumped for doing it.
If that was not your intention to paint the entire state of Michigan as people who don't care about family and friends, then my apologies. That's how you made it sound.

And it's never my intention to browbeat someone for having to move for financial reasons (or even if they don't like Michigan), if that's the impression you got. As you'll notice, there are hundreds of posts on here about people moving out of Michigan for various reasons that I don't even respond to (there's not really much to say). They have their legitimate reasons and I wish them well. Same to you in Ohio.

Peace.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,527,091 times
The natural wonders of Michigan far supercede the natural disasters. It is true that Michigan lacks earthquakes and hurricanes. However, the native obnoxious and stupid fauna, such as deer and GM workers, require special 'care.' Oh, and don't forget Michael Moore! (Fact is, he IS Bigfoot.)

Quote:
My policy on these sorts of people would be: back away slowly, and don't make eye contact! and whatever you do, don't accept an employee family discount! You want the Toyota Matrix, not the Pontiac Vibe. Essentially the same car, yes, but one will have resale value a few years down the road.

I am the authoritative expert, having written several books on the topic, such as "careful nurturing of grievances" and "how to show your retiree uncle that you 'care'" and "oops, Johnny just bought a Honda, what to do next."

Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 AM

13 posts, read 40,590 times
The midwest isn't necessarily the answer. Many folks I have met from the midwest are afraid to make the move away. Us midwesterners stick togther somehow! But I must say, we lived in Michigan for nearly 40 years. Went to college there and started to raise our three kids there. Someone has to live in Michigan and someone has to like it there. When you have been living in a depressed economy for so long and finally get out and then watch other folks want to move to Michigan, I can't help from wondering what information you are going by to make that decision. Like I said, someone has to live there. Not everyone can live in Colorado! Hopefully Michigan can turn things around in the next 10 or 20 years. It will take a long time because the auto industry will be moved completely to Mexico at some point. All industries will be affected. Very sad situation. What's worse is the taxes in Michigan still go up and the schools are really taking a pounding. The education system is getting worse by the day. Michigan rates pretty high in education and hard to see it crumble. Even with the massive foreclosures and housing disaster, it is still not affordable to purchase a home in Michigan. Main reason being that a majority of the folks that had jobs to afford houses no longer work.

The folks wanting to move to Michigan need to know the truth of the devistation. We lived it!! We love Michigan and hated leaving. It took us nearly 18 months to finally hit rock bottom and have to leave. Not every state is for everyone, but you need to think long and hard to move in to a scary situation like that.

Best of luck to all!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 AM

286 posts, read 1,113,578 times
Default LOL - Thanks for the laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The natural wonders of Michigan far supercede the natural disasters. It is true that Michigan lacks earthquakes and hurricanes. However, the native obnoxious and stupid fauna, such as deer and GM workers, require special 'care.' Oh, and don't forget Michael Moore! (Fact is, he IS Bigfoot.)

My policy on these sorts of people would be: back away slowly, and don't make eye contact! and whatever you do, don't accept an employee family discount! You want the Toyota Matrix, not the Pontiac Vibe. Essentially the same car, yes, but one will have resale value a few years down the road.

I am the authoritative expert, having written several books on the topic, such as "careful nurturing of grievances" and "how to show your retiree uncle that you 'care'" and "oops, Johnny just bought a Honda, what to do next."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! No, seriously.... it is true. The silent, yet obvious, gasp of disbelief (or horror?) when I brought home my Tacoma was priceless......

Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 PM

23 posts, read 48,716 times
Default Michigan, ugh

Pay close attention to bubbagirl's reply - she hit the nail on the head. You may have better luck in the southern part of the state, and I wish you luck and happiness. In our area, "up north", every industry has taken a hit: four major factory closures in less than a year, a faltering construction industry, ISD cutbacks and layoffs, businesses across the board tightening the belt. Bloody LOW pay for crappy service jobs. The only well-paying industry doing halfway decently is healthcare, if you have specialized training (RN in particular). Looking around my neighborhood, nearly half the homes are up for sale, and many are foreclosure situations. People are really hurting here.
Also: according to CNN Money, as of May 2007 Michigan had the highest unemployment rate in the NATION, at 6.9%, worse even than Mississippi; highest gasoline prices in the USA, roadways in pathetic disrepair, absolutely ludicrous auto insurance laws (no-fault = you get SCREWED if you're in a wreck) & take a look at Granholm's "Driver Responsibility" law - a Poor Tax pure and simple.
It is absolutely beautiful here, I will not deny that. The rolling, lush, tree covered hills break my heart. The water is the sweetest in the world. But wages are ridiculously low (again, in the north), and cost of living, real estate, property taxes etc in this resort area are out of sight. We are getting OUT of this state as soon as we are able.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM

1,535 posts, read 646,900 times
I was born in Michigan. I tripled my income by moving to Columbus, Ohio.

Jus' saying . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan