Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 PM

43 posts, read 86,370 times

Advertisements

Hello, new to this forum. Looks like it is interesting. I have a few questions about porperty taxes and school funding. Where does most of the property taxes a person pays go to? Is it education? other? A nice breakdown would be good. Also a question about student education fundings. I read in the papers that per pupil spending in Michigan is about $7000 give or take a few hundred. Yet I was reading a local paper about a big school district spending and they listed the number of K-12 students and the school district budget for the year and it came out to be about $11,000 per student. Where did the extra $4,000 come from per pupil? How much of a school budget is spent on teacher's pay, benefits, and pension? Any help would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Lottery is the education tax. What used to be education tax--the old property tax--is a mystery.

The better districts have additional millage / property tax to fund education. This is where some districts get the additional $4K-$6K per student.
I believe most districts average 40%--50% staff pay / benefits, and the rest for for operations (utilities) and materials. Those with additional millage have more materials and resources. But some will tell us that money doesn't matter and that a district spending $7000 per pupil should be just as good as one spending $13000 per pupil. If that is true, why would any district spend nearly TWICE as much is it does not make a difference?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,809,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
Hello, new to this forum. Looks like it is interesting. I have a few questions about porperty taxes and school funding. Where does most of the property taxes a person pays go to? Is it education? other? A nice breakdown would be good. Also a question about student education fundings. I read in the papers that per pupil spending in Michigan is about $7000 give or take a few hundred. Yet I was reading a local paper about a big school district spending and they listed the number of K-12 students and the school district budget for the year and it came out to be about $11,000 per student. Where did the extra $4,000 come from per pupil? How much of a school budget is spent on teacher's pay, benefits, and pension? Any help would be great. Thanks
A couple of sources, sales tax, property tax, lottery money, etc.. I think every school district is different, as there was a base rate property tax millage laid out back when Proposal A was passed in the mid-90's (6 mills maybe?), and then individual districts have put up proposals for higher millage rates for expansions, upgrades, etc..

Also, since some districts have higher home values, those take in more property tax revenue and then have more revenue per child to spend.

That's how I understand it, but I could be missing something.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM

43 posts, read 86,370 times
I remember a small, small, school district up north(Paradise) that had a very high per pupil spending years ago. Not sure what difference it made with the students though

Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM

214 posts, read 672,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
Every district is different. Most should have a breakdown of the property tax millage and what each levy goes to.

Mostly, it will be municipal services (fire, police, ambulance), overhead, roads, jails and education. In my municipality, they break it down to the mill in an itemized list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan