Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lol...I am the same exact way. We are in a bad spot for big storms this year.
Yeah, seems like all of the storms have missed north or south. The lake effect has been weird this year too. Normally we see some snow from the lake around here, but with the north winds all of the snow has ended up in extreme SW Michigan or northwest Indiana. Not fair! Just checked the radar and South Bend is getting hit with snow as we speak off the big lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah, seems like all of the storms have missed north or south. The lake effect has been weird this year too. Normally we see some snow from the lake around here, but with the north winds all of the snow has ended up in extreme SW Michigan or northwest Indiana. Not fair! Just checked the radar and South Bend is getting hit with snow as we speak off the big lake.
They have been getting hit hard lately.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
I love the fact that you can see the unique designs in each snowflake if you take the time to look at them, incredible. Not to mention the way it glistens.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 AM

364 posts, read 877,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
I love the fact that you can see the unique designs in each snowflake if you take the time to look at them, incredible. Not to mention the way it glistens.
I agree.

After a brief hiatus of bare ground Jan 1-5, winter has quickly returned to southeast Michigan. Unlike in December, when we got one big snowstorm then mostly quiet but cold weather following it, we are in a pattern of much more frequent snowfall.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM

271 posts, read 664,881 times
What my friends and I would call Biff Driffin... going out at night when there is nobody else on the road and purposely plowing through the cold powdery snowdrifts that start to fill up the road. It was fun with a small car because even well below the speed limit the snow would go flying everywhere. I thought of that because we had to do that tonight to get home, most of the road was filled up.

I like going down a dirt road and not getting choked with dust. I'd rather work on a car in the snow than in the mud. Lack of bugs, at least outside, is nice. I like woodstove fires. And real snow is much better than the slop they get in warmer climates.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
What my friends and I would call Biff Driffin... going out at night when there is nobody else on the road and purposely plowing through the cold powdery snowdrifts that start to fill up the road. It was fun with a small car because even well below the speed limit the snow would go flying everywhere. I thought of that because we had to do that tonight to get home, most of the road was filled up.

I like going down a dirt road and not getting choked with dust. I'd rather work on a car in the snow than in the mud. Lack of bugs, at least outside, is nice. I like woodstove fires. And real snow is much better than the slop they get in warmer climates.
I was doing some biffin' with the wrangler last night. Glad to have a locker and big tires. Wow, it was plugged up in some places.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
One of my most pleasant memorys is getting a huge snow storm that dumped 20+ inches on Friday and part of Saturday. Saturday evening a bunch (Michigan trail riders) got together and rode snowmobiles all night. It was a clear cold moon lit night and the hoar frost was sparkling in the head lite beams as well as the moon lite when we stopped. In an open clearing it was fun to curve around the the deep snow with out doing any thing more than leaning.

when I was even younger we liked to ski behind a car/truck or tractor on snow covered rfoads after a big snow.

Al

Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
One of my most pleasant memorys is getting a huge snow storm that dumped 20+ inches on Friday and part of Saturday. Saturday evening a bunch (Michigan trail riders) got together and rode snowmobiles all night. It was a clear cold moon lit night and the hoar frost was sparkling in the head lite beams as well as the moon lite when we stopped. In an open clearing it was fun to curve around the the deep snow with out doing any thing more than leaning.

when I was even younger we liked to ski behind a car/truck or tractor on snow covered rfoads after a big snow.

Al
Back on Thanksgiving night of '75 we had an ice storm that left the deserted roads an ice rink. Being that Thanksgiving nights were boredom city as it was our buddy picked us up in his old '66 Dodge van and we bumper dragged the night away. He would be pulling 4 of us on the bumper and we would try to pull each other off or let go and grab onto the legs of another. Sometimes one guy would have 3 strung out behind him and we'd laugh hysterically seeing how long he could hang on until we all were left behind. What a blast that night was.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
I agree.

After a brief hiatus of bare ground Jan 1-5, winter has quickly returned to southeast Michigan. Unlike in December, when we got one big snowstorm then mostly quiet but cold weather following it, we are in a pattern of much more frequent snowfall.

The first picture looks like my cat from 20 plus years ago "Fred"; and the background reminds me of him. Fred slept in my bedroom. Fred often licked the frost off the window frames (we had aluminum windows). One morning at about 4 a.m. I heard the strangest yowling sound. It got lourder and louder. After some investigation I found Fred with his tongue stuck to the window. I tried to pull him free, but the yowling increased dramatically and some scratching of my hands ensued. Finally I figured out to pour warm water on Fred's tongue and he was free. He ignored me for a week as punishment.

Thanks for the reminder. I really loved good old Fred.

Sorry for the nostalgic drift from the topic. But hey, it has something to do with winter.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Try it on a flag pole CJ.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan