Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,262,971 times

Advertisements

Is this as state wide problem or just my area being ignored? The roads around me have been neglected more this year than any other I can recall EVER. We get 2 inches ( yeah yeah not a lot) but when they go untouched they are terrible. At least mix some darn salt and sand and spread it to keep the roads at least safe to drive on. I drove home white knuckled most of my drive home last night. One city the roads are just wet, others snow covered. I told my wife this broke azz cheap state is going to drive me outa here LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM

760 posts, read 2,431,671 times
I don't think ours up here even bothers for anything less then 3 - 4 inches. But we're quite used to it and have no problem with it.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
If we get less than 6 inches they don't do a damn thing and it really gets slick. This last 12" and the roads were cleared by 6 AM and in really good condition. That is so unusual for Mason County, they have sucked at snow removal for as long as I can remember, and for as long as my Parents can remember (which is back to the late 30's early 40's).

Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,941,380 times
Depends on the county. Our county will keep the primary/main roads cleared and maintained, secondary's only during the week. Secondary roads just arent bothered with for the weekend. There have been times of heavy snow on saturday and many arent getting out for church on sunday....or work, or play or.... Yup, sit home by the fire and enjoy it.

This is why we have 2 jeep vehicles.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM

259 posts, read 820,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Depends on the county. Our county will keep the primary/main roads cleared and maintained, secondary's only during the week. Secondary roads just arent bothered with for the weekend. There have been times of heavy snow on saturday and many arent getting out for church on sunday....or work, or play or.... Yup, sit home by the fire and enjoy it.

This is why we have 2 jeep vehicles.
Same here. Its not that the secondary roads aren't passable here, its just you get tracks and drifts and people get pulled every which way. And my family owns a lot of open land so the drifts on the roads are bad a lot of the times. I will usually take my plow and hit the roads around my house for everyone if the county hasn't done it early in the morning.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,088,235 times
I moved this summer and my house is on a semi-rural dead end road...granted Genesee county hasn't seen much snow but none of the smaller roads around here have been touched. However someone on this road has a plow on his truck and plowed the road to the end yesterday. I like neighbors like this!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM

362 posts, read 693,026 times
Our back roads for years have always taken up to 3 days to get plowed. Isn't really a big deal if one uses common sence and slows down even with a front wheel drive car. The main travel roads usally get plowed and salted/sanded soon after the storm abates. Of course they know the routes that are traveled the most, haven't you ever seen those black rubber counter cords streached across the roads mostly in the summer?
With all the factorys closeing and moving to other states/countrys there just isn't the money to maintain the roads as they should be . Not that the taxes collected from those tax abated companys made a lot of differance but the workers income taxes did as well as the gas taxes collected from workers buying fuel to get to work.
Also I've been told by the county treasureer that getting the banks to pay the taxes on the property they hold is extreamely hard. they will be as much as a year and a half in arears.

My big gripe is the persons who own those pick ups with snow plows and just home owners who do their own.
It is a law you can not place any thing in a road way but every year they plow across the roads and leave piles for drivers to hit.
I cannot even begin to guess how many complaints I have filed to get it stopped in some areas.

Al

Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM

364 posts, read 874,291 times
The winters of 2007-08 and 2008-09 saw WAY above normal snowfall in metro-Detroit, and the road crews went way over budget, to the tune of almost double. Add in the fact that budgets have since gotten cut moreso, and roads are always treacherous here when it snows anymore. Much of the metro area was in a literal gridlock for a few days after the flash freeze and 6" snowstorm on Dec 12th. You will even see effects of this in the summer, when county grass is not cut until it is 6-8" high.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Is this as state wide problem or just my area being ignored? The roads around me have been neglected more this year than any other I can recall EVER. We get 2 inches ( yeah yeah not a lot) but when they go untouched they are terrible. At least mix some darn salt and sand and spread it to keep the roads at least safe to drive on. I drove home white knuckled most of my drive home last night. One city the roads are just wet, others snow covered. I told my wife this broke azz cheap state is going to drive me outa here LOL
The budgets have been worn out from the very snowy seasons of 2007-2008 and 2008-2009.

Combine this with the declining tax revenue and the excess road infrastructure and you get roads that are pooly cleared (if at all).

Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM

271 posts, read 661,581 times
It does seem to depend on the county. I know there's more than once that I've gone downstate and back and 131 will be clear and dry EXCEPT for the Antrim Ccounty section. Just last Friday it was like that. The rest of the highway was clear and dry, but the Antrim County section was a CONTINUOUS sheet of jagged ice exactly from county line to county line.

About a month ago the Wexford county portion of 131 was 30 mph, 1 lane, and nothing had been touched with a plow. I thought they might do something about it but it was still the same when I came back thru 7 hours later, nothing had been touched all day. The rest of the highway was fine. Another time I was heading downstate and only that section of 131 was a skating rink.

And many days 131 south of Petoskey is a sheet of ice. With all the hills and blind intersections it's just asking for an accident.

I expect back roads to be in poor condition, but you'd think they'd put some priority to the main highways. They whine that when it's cold the salt doesn't work. But you get enough accidents or a high profile individual gets in a pickle, and they'll finally do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan