Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,972,827 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity on my way home from work last night I exited 23 and went by the house. It is really in the middle of nowhere.

There are only two homes, one on either side, that may be able to view this eyesore. But they are each .1 to .2 miles away. No homes across the road from it. So blight and bringing down neighborhood home values are not real issues here. Doubtful if local government would ever do anything about this house.

It doesn't pose a health risk unless someone enters the property. I didn't notice if there were any "No Trespassing" signs. There could be an issue with pests/varmints nesting but again this is in a very rural area so not really an issue.

This house isn't going anywhere for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

382 posts, read 1,048,479 times
Maybe the owner realized that it would be as good of an investment to just stop building the house and burn his money than to build a McMansion, feet from an expressway in between Metro Detroit and Toledo..

Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 25,629 times
The couple who started building the house was from out of state. I'm originally from Dundee, and lived there when construction began. They ran out of money, and moved back to their home state. Rumor has it that the husband was involved in some type of business scam, and so they had to run.

BTW, you can find Dundee and other Monroe County property tax records online and have been able to do so for at least a few years now. If you have a specific address, you can search on it and find the owner name.

Yes, there is a $2 fee to view the detailed property record. However, if all you want is the name of the current owner, then that's free.

Records for Dundee Twp: [url]https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/AssessingServices/ServiceAssessingSearch.aspx?i=1&appid=0&unit=647[/url]

Records for the Village of Dundee: [url]https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/TaxServices/ServiceTaxSearch.aspx?i=3&appid=1&unit=702[/url]

(Yes, these are official sites - you can access them from the official Monroe County website. Click on the link for "Assessment Data Records.
[url=http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/Egov/]Default[/url] and you can get through to the same links I posted above.)

Edit to add - the site links seem to be posting funny, and the system is overriding my edits. But if you go to the Monroe County site as I listed above, you can find the Assessment Data Records to get to the info I mentioned.

Last edited by sld829; 10-12-2011 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: fixing links

Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 PM

The owner's name was Saul Williams.

He and his brother Henry ran several scam paving companies. Apparently they moved from community to community until they got busted.

It would appear that as recently as 2010, they were still running the same old paving scams - that's according to information on the BBB of Central Georgia's website: [url=http://www.bbb.org/central-georgia/business-reviews/paving-materials/williams-asphalt-materials-in-juliette-ga-9504]Williams Asphalt Materials Business Review in Juliette, GA - Central Georgia BBB[/url]

Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 PM

P.S. The house is basically gone - blew over in a recent windstorm. (Or so I was told - I haven't driven that way in about a month or so.) But the history of it is still interesting regardless of whether the house is standing.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,364 times
Thanks for the update, sld289!

I haven't been up 23 in daylight for about a year in a half. Was there at the end of August, but we were traveling very early morning, so I couldn't see if it was standing or not.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:25 PM

192 posts, read 491,627 times
Passed by it last week, and yes it has blown down. Now who cleans it up?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,776 times
Termites, maggots and fungi, but it will take awhile (see Detroit, LOL)

Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyl77 View Post
Here is a close up picture. houses starting at | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckshotjones/3083814006/ - broken link)
Beautiful pictures. Old abandoned houses and buildings have a beauty about them.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,322 times
Too bad actually - I remember seeing that house when I used to drive back and forth to Cincinnati every week. It was old then and that was 2000. I looked forward to seeing it every week to see how it would progress but quickly realized it was just sitting there. I'm sure it would have been stunning. Here's some photos from a braver soul than I:

Abandoned House Near Azalia, MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan