Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM

550 posts, read 2,046,377 times

Advertisements

Yay! dweej! just read your guest blog on Pure Michigan! (facebook notification ) Thanks for sharing your experience. When you first posted this before I was finishing up my masters, now that I have some downtime, I want to spend some time reading your blog.....very cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,588,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
...and we are really enjoying ourselves!

In the summer of last year, we bought a foreclosure on a little bit of land about 5 miles from Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo. We made the purchase sight-unseen off of the internet from southern California (true story! I have been a city-data member for a long time, so no trolling here ) using photos, soil maps, county records, and a whole lotta research and luck. It has been quite the adventure, but our neighbors are so kind and helpful, we have easily found a lovely community through church, and the school district (Gull Lake) is excellent. We still have a lot of work ahead of us on the house, but overall the move has been an absolute success.

I would especially like to thank all the members of this forum who post their beautiful photographs- facts and figures and statistics are easy to research and very objective, but to get a real feel for the beauty of this state would have been very difficult without all of you taking the time to share those with us.

So, thanks to all of the Michiganders (I lived in Detroit when I was little, and I refuse to say "Michiganian"!) who've shown us so much kindness. Can't wait to see our very first spring!
Buying anything sight-unseen is pretty reckless. Fortunately, it worked out for you.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Buying anything sight-unseen is pretty reckless. Fortunately, it worked out for you.

Check out her blog in her cd profile!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,724,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
Check out her blog in her cd profile!
Just read through the whole blog. What an adventure!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Just read through the whole blog. What an adventure!
HA, me too when I got home today! Fun read too!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,570,923 times
Aw, thanks guys! I just saw that this thread had been revived and peeked in to see what was going on. Glad you enjoyed the read

I actually just "met" someone who found my blog through the Pure Michigan site as well who did almost the same thing: was living in San Jose, bought a B&B in Michigan site unseen off of craigslist, and she had her husband packed up the truck and made the move. People who love Michigan have quite the adventurous spirit it seems!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:44 PM

275 posts, read 440,237 times
Definitely a good read! You've gained a new follower. I saw some similiarities to the fun we're having with our place.

If you're interested in doing some reciprocal reading, here's the link to our blog.

Shangri La - Restoring Paradise

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
I could not find this blog. How do we find it?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM

275 posts, read 440,237 times
Click on Dweej's screen name on one of her posts, and then click on "Visit Dweej's homepage!" That'll get you there.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:17 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,570,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
Definitely a good read! You've gained a new follower. I saw some similiarities to the fun we're having with our place.

If you're interested in doing some reciprocal reading, here's the link to our blog.

Shangri La - Restoring Paradise
Thank you, Dave! I'm really excited to read it. Here's the gal that bought the B & B off of Craigslist and moved sight-unseen from San Jose...
site: Applesauce Inn Bed and Breakfast-Bellaire MI-Antrim County
blog: Applesauce Inn Bed & Breakfast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan