Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times

Advertisements

Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Front yard is picture beautiful this morning in the sun after the snow ended yesterday.

The hoar frost from several days ago is also picture pretty.

I my self don't care for ice storms. Dangerous to be out on the roads, walking in the woods or for that matter any place. No place to stock pile the wood ashes or it wouldn't be so bad with a layer on the ice. Give me several feet of snow at once and keep the ice.

Al
My 93 year old mother says to spread the wood ashes on top of the ice. That way when the ice melts a little the ashes will float. When the ice re-freezes, the ashes will still be on top, not sunk to the bottom.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Wow, Al!!!!!! That hoarfrost is beautiful!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 8,168 times
then the ashes will be on the carpet of the car or house, lovely. When oil shoots up and it will and when NG shoots up and it is it will be nice to heat those homes in winter. The heating bill will be more then the value of the home LOL. Good luck. Can anyone say Donner party?

Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2boutaMI View Post
then the ashes will be on the carpet of the car or house, lovely. When oil shoots up and it will and when NG shoots up and it is it will be nice to heat those homes in winter. The heating bill will be more then the value of the home LOL. Good luck. Can anyone say Donner party?
LOL, I'd eat my horses first.

People seem to be buying woodburners left and right. Heats your home, boils your water, and you can always cook on a wood stove.

Imagine, people actually lived long enough BEFORE modern conveniences for us to be here discussing them on the internet.

Mighiganders as a whole are resourceful and hardy. I have no fear they will survive, as they appear to have done for a long time now. Too bad you're too busy hating to learn their ways, you might be happier.

Wow, guess you must be old enough for D. Seuss to have known you. We know who the Grinch is modeled after!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Few of my kids outside with dog.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
My 93 year old mother says to spread the wood ashes on top of the ice. That way when the ice melts a little the ashes will float. When the ice re-freezes, the ashes will still be on top, not sunk to the bottom.

I do nto know the reasonong, but we hav eused ashes on ice for quite a while. It works pretty well unless it is windy (in which case the ashes just blow away).

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM

Awesome pix, M.M.M.!!!!

You got a picture of sparkly snow. I have not been able to get a picture of sparkly snow. I keep trying to tell people what I mean, and I get ???? in response.

Wow.... purty! How can anyone look at sparkly snow and not fall in love? Maybe I'm just crazy, but since my body doesn't do heat.... LOL, I can put on layers, but short of walking around nekkid, heat and I don't get along. I'm not interested in jail, or blinding folks.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Yes beeyootyfull photos there! I love the sparkly snow too.

In the first pic...is that a metal roof or diagonal siding?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yes beeyootyfull photos there! I love the sparkly snow too.

In the first pic...is that a metal roof or diagonal siding?
Thanks! Thats a metal roof of the church across the street from me. They have big snow piles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan