Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
You name a car and I can find a owner of that brand that calls tthem lemons. For years there was a Lincon that ran around town with huge lemons painted on the doors and a sign on the roof telling all the troubles they had and what the dealer and ford didn't do. I bought a new 64 Chevy and the rear end kept breaking, it was a six stick yet the dealer blamed the problem on me and refused to fix it the 3d time. I got drafted and sold it. Bought a used ford when I got back home though it was a OK car although you didn't pass on a two lane road unless you could see it was clear for a couple miles ahead. Bough a new ford truck in 72 and it rusted away in about a year and a half, Wasn't a floor in the bed left when I bought a 74 ford truck that the wrist pin came out of and ford refused to fix it at 8000 miles on it.

Have owned many a jeep cj since 77 love them and still have a 85 that runs well. On my third Dodge ram truck all had well over 150,000 on them except the current 2004 that is still at 120,000.

Toyota has a huge problem at this time with how people see them. Of course NASA gave them a boost yesterday. Electronics are fine it is just the linkage that kills people.

Al
I have a Honda that's the biggest POS I've ever owned (made in Canada). It's been in the shop at least 3x a year since I bought it in 03, had two transmissions rebuilt at about $3500 a pop. But it's paid for, and I keep patching it up hoping to get another 100K miles out of it. The kids and I have made a game out of all the new noises we hear it making, just about every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
You do make a great point, but with the culture changing and American Gen-Y growing up, many are not even looking to own a automobile and who have little interest getting their drivers licenses at age 16 or even want to live the suburban dream that was created for the American Gen-X. Most likely China and India will be the best bet for marketing automobiles to those Gen-Y's who are experiencing the rapid boom of the middle class.
I don't know about that. Yes, cars may not be quite the big deal they were the last couple generations, but you still need some kind of personal motorized transport. It IS NOT going to go away. Even in Europe people do own cars, they are just small. There will more demand for smaller cars, and they may drive less possibly, but they will still look to own a car. The whole "move back to the city" is a phase in life. one they settle down, they will want to own a house with a yard. Maybe not a big one. And maybe the will start revitalizing aging inner ring suburbs, but not the whole Gen Y are not all going to move to Manhattan and ride the subway everywhere. That ain't going to happen.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
I got chills when he walked into the church and the choir erupted.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
He's actually from Kansas City. Chrysler is also indebted to other financial institutions. What is your point? If you want the government to get a return on their investment than Chrysler needs to advertise and sell product.

I guess in the same vein since Ford took a couple billion in government loans and is indebted to the US Government, the taxpayer paid for their advertising as well. Then again, Ford, GM and Chrysler are tax payers. They've paid billions of dollars in taxes in their 100 years of existence. More than any other one of these people who get on their soapbox and say "My tax dollar" so why did Chrysler get your tax dollars and not the billions of taxes dollars Chrysler has paid throughout the years? Did GM ever complain about the way Warren spent the 1.5 million in annual property taxes they pay for the Tech Center alone?
Scolls, as much as it pains me to have to admit it, I couldn't agree more with you. Reps, my friend. Now, if I can just get you to say something nice about Michigan's sunrise side..........

Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 14,034 times
i thought the choir was a bit overkill at first, but it fits. i really like the commercial. em really does embody the american dream.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I loved the commercial. Way to make Detroit look good for once. I think the bailout actually helped Chrysler get back on track.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,095 times
The ad was good enough to be parodied.

Wyandotte spoof of Eminem's Chrysler ad debuts | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110211/BLOG36/110211039/1007/NEWS05/Wyandotte-spoof-Eminem-s-Chrysler-ad-debuts - broken link)

Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I thought this was a great ad but Chrysler is indebted to the US government so in a way the tax payer paid for that ad..
Isnt Eminem from Warren? Well close enough to Detroit i guess.
Chrysler used 0.1% of their "bailout" money to finance that ad, and that ad has created a lot of buzz. Spending a small fraction of a percent to get people interested in your product is a good return on the investment. Chrysler dealerships have already reported an increase in foot traffic this past week, so apparently it worked.

As for Eminem, he was born in St. Joseph, MO and moved to Detroit at a very young age.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I loved the commercial. Way to make Detroit look good for once. I think the bailout actually helped Chrysler get back on track.
Sad thing is, when Daimler took over Chrysler (like hell it was a "merger of equals"), Chrysler had $12B in cash reserves saved for a rainy day, but that money was instead used by Daimler to purchase Freightliner, plus shares in Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Basically, Daimler used Chrysler's cash reserves to form a half-baked global automotive empire that clearly didn't work. This is part of why I believe that Daimler ****ed Chrysler and should be held accountable for their downfall. It's sad that Chrysler had to go hat in hand to the U.S. Government for $9B when they had $12B of their own money at one point. Simply put, if Chrysler didn't have their cash reserves effectively stolen from them and wasted by Daimler, they wouldn't have needed a "bailout" in the first place. This is why I'm more sympathetic to Chrysler than I am to General Motors: General Motors waited until the last minute to help themselves, but Chrysler couldn't help themselves until they were out from under Daimler's thumb.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 AM

214 posts, read 705,500 times
LOVED it! I am proud to be MADE in DETROIT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan