U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
 
Location: At the end of the road, where the trail begins.
760 posts, read 1,512,978 times
Reputation: 321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Good evening. A quick question for all the U.P. lovers and/or residents. How does Drummond Island area compare to the western part of the U.P.? Lake Superior side? I am from Chicago and have been to the U.P. only once two years ago to Drummond Island. I have yet to see a more beautiful place in this country. Truly spectacular. However, my buddy swears by the Lake Superior side. He says it is more beautiful. He wants to retire to Ironwood. I am just asking because we were planning another U.P. trip this fall, wanted to go back to the Lake Huron side, but might go to the Superior side if it's worth it.

Cheers.
We spent our honeymoon week on Drummond Island.

We now live on the Superior side of da U.P. in Marquette County.

Drummond Island doesn't even really compare to the beauty up here. We loved Drummond Island (we were living in Grand Rapids, MI at the time and that was our first exposure to the U.P.). After discovering the northern half of the U.P. (especially the northwestern half) we have absolutely zero interest in ever going back to Drummond Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
 
Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
413 posts, read 347,405 times
Reputation: 583
Lake Superior it is! Thank you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: NW Lower Michigan=Heaven!
3,903 posts, read 4,990,333 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Lake Superior it is! Thank you guys.
You will love it! Jeeg is right...there is no comparison...you will see.
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
 
10 posts, read 27,236 times
Reputation: 14
..."like the plague"...please infect me with that plague asap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
 
61 posts, read 61,146 times
Reputation: 24
My family is moving upnorth and though I'm exited about it, there's a bit uncertainty too. Just like what you said, the biggest drawback to me is the lack of proximity to a major city. But if it were close to a "major city", UP would probably won't be UP anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm from Kalamazoo, and I don't despise the U.P. It's actually very pretty--but I couldn't live there--not because of the winter, but because it's so isolated. I need to be around a larger town (50,000 +) with all the required amenities. The U.P. doesn't offer that. I probably wouldn't want to live any further north than Grand Rapids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
 
61 posts, read 61,146 times
Reputation: 24
When I told my friends and coleagues that we are moving upnorth (Munising temporarily while looking for a place in Marquette area), the responses were quite mixied frankly. Some of the them showed sympathy and said would pray that my husband would find a job in the local area so that we don't have to move. I said no no actually that's his dream place. Many do point out the long cold snowy winter but I told them we love skiing. There a few telling me it's also their husbands' or their dream location, etc. So it does seem to be a love it or hate it situation, even among the michiganders.

As to my out-of-state friends, well, they can't imagine I'm moving to such a isolated place which lack of the high culture and career and culture opportunities academic folks usually enjoy.

So I guess it depends on what is on your priority list in terms of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Tabernacle, NJ
2 posts, read 4,142 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
Just have to chime in
I do not know anyone who doesn't love the UP! Living there is not for everyone, however! That is for sure...

Anyway, about the southern side of the UP, that is the best summer playland to me! I grew up with a family cottage/cabin nestled in the dunes in the woods right on Lake Michigan somewhere between Guliver and Manistique! It was/is HEAVEN! I prefer that part of lake michigan to any other....the beaches are perfect....no one on the beach as far as you can see...the dunes are untouched and huge....we would go just for the weekend in every season of the year! the most perfect hikes in the fall....the best sledding, xcountry skiing and lake ice exploring in the winter, and summer awesome everything! I miss dune bocce ball!!! Now the Superior shore has amazing rugged beauty, but this is pure calming natural beauty (of course I witnessed some huge and impressive waves and storms.....)....I just had to defend my personal favorite part of the UP (the rest is just favorite )

Nobody understands here!!! (philly)....

carry on!
MoFromCheboygan - I *DO* understand and I'm right over the bridge in South Jersey. Oh Lord, the sweetest moments of my life were spent on the Garden Peninsula, I had one set of grandparents in Garden, another set in Fairport. I used to wake up to the sound of my grandpa's fishing tug the "Bonnie C." chugging past the house on its way to catch the MOST amazing fresh perch and whitefish. Fayette State Park was my playground, Lake Michigan was my swimming pool, the woods and dirt roads, my backyard.

On certain nights, as I stand on my porch in the Pine Barrens of NJ, enjoying the quiet and the dark, if the wind is blowing just a certain way, I catch a whiff of the pine trees surrounding me and I close my eyes and I'm back in my grandparents' yard across from Lake Michigan where there was always a clean breeze blowing off the lake. I call those "Michigan Nights", and for just a minute I am transported back in time to that wonderful place on the U.P., with my Yooper relatives and my heart skips a beat. Nothing and nowhere has ever compared to that place, the beauty is unforgettable. I am grateful to have known it.

So Mo, do not despair, there is at least one person close by who understands how you feel.

Bonnie - a devoted Yooper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
 
Location: NE philadelphia
550 posts, read 1,302,148 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenirisheyez View Post
MoFromCheboygan - I *DO* understand and I'm right over the bridge in South Jersey. Oh Lord, the sweetest moments of my life were spent on the Garden Peninsula, I had one set of grandparents in Garden, another set in Fairport. I used to wake up to the sound of my grandpa's fishing tug the "Bonnie C." chugging past the house on its way to catch the MOST amazing fresh perch and whitefish. Fayette State Park was my playground, Lake Michigan was my swimming pool, the woods and dirt roads, my backyard.

On certain nights, as I stand on my porch in the Pine Barrens of NJ, enjoying the quiet and the dark, if the wind is blowing just a certain way, I catch a whiff of the pine trees surrounding me and I close my eyes and I'm back in my grandparents' yard across from Lake Michigan where there was always a clean breeze blowing off the lake. I call those "Michigan Nights", and for just a minute I am transported back in time to that wonderful place on the U.P., with my Yooper relatives and my heart skips a beat. Nothing and nowhere has ever compared to that place, the beauty is unforgettable. I am grateful to have known it.

So Mo, do not despair, there is at least one person close by who understands how you feel.

Bonnie - a devoted Yooper.

Yes! So happy to know there is a Yooper nearby I wish I could smell that smell.....I'm right in the city here...my summers are still mostly spent in MI though so I have fresh wonderful memorable experiences each summer....do you get to go back often to visit?
I try to explain the UP to locals here, I just tell them I want to take them there...I have convinced a few to vacation in MI..... working on more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Tabernacle, NJ
2 posts, read 4,142 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
Yes! So happy to know there is a Yooper nearby I wish I could smell that smell.....I'm right in the city here...my summers are still mostly spent in MI though so I have fresh wonderful memorable experiences each summer....do you get to go back often to visit?
I try to explain the UP to locals here, I just tell them I want to take them there...I have convinced a few to vacation in MI..... working on more
Sadly, my grandparents are all gone now, but my sister and all my aunts, uncles, and cousins still live there. The past two years I have gone up in the fall. I split my time between Mackinac Island and Manistique (where my sister now lives). My grandfather, once he passed the commercial fishing license down to my uncles, would engineer the ferry boats for Arnold Line Transit from Saint Ignace to the Island, so I spent a portion of each summer on the Island. Do you ever go to the Island?

The drive is a bear, though, isn't it? I'd go up much more often but I just dread that drive.

As someone on this thread said earlier, the drive from Saint Ignace to Manistique on U.S. 2 is breathtaking. Last year when I was up there, we went to Munising and I have to admit Lake Superior is gorgeous in a totally different way than Lake Michigan. Even from shore it just seems fierce and I get a whole different feeling standing on Superior's shore than I do standing on Lake Michigan's shore.

Are you familiar with Garden or Fairport? They are extremely small towns (less than 300 people each and I'm probably related to 200 of them in one way or another).

I have no plans to visit this year and I'm already missing it. Much as I love being there, I honestly don't know if I could live up there during the winter. They can be so brutal and I've been Easternized, so to speak.

Are you fortunate enough to spend the entire summer up there? If so, lucky, lucky you!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
 
330 posts, read 516,577 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenirisheyez View Post
Sadly, my grandparents are all gone now, but my sister and all my aunts, uncles, and cousins still live there. The past two years I have gone up in the fall. I split my time between Mackinac Island and Manistique (where my sister now lives). My grandfather, once he passed the commercial fishing license down to my uncles, would engineer the ferry boats for Arnold Line Transit from Saint Ignace to the Island, so I spent a portion of each summer on the Island. Do you ever go to the Island?

The drive is a bear, though, isn't it? I'd go up much more often but I just dread that drive.

As someone on this thread said earlier, the drive from Saint Ignace to Manistique on U.S. 2 is breathtaking. Last year when I was up there, we went to Munising and I have to admit Lake Superior is gorgeous in a totally different way than Lake Michigan. Even from shore it just seems fierce and I get a whole different feeling standing on Superior's shore than I do standing on Lake Michigan's shore.

Are you familiar with Garden or Fairport? They are extremely small towns (less than 300 people each and I'm probably related to 200 of them in one way or another).

I have no plans to visit this year and I'm already missing it. Much as I love being there, I honestly don't know if I could live up there during the winter. They can be so brutal and I've been Easternized, so to speak.

Are you fortunate enough to spend the entire summer up there? If so, lucky, lucky you!

Bonnie
Ah, Superior and Lake Michigan. There IS quite a different feeling, even though it is "just" water. Hard to describe. I liked your take on the Garden Peninsula. Been going to the UP for many years now but our first experience with the Garden Peninsula was just last year. Very nice area for sure with Fayette State Park and all. We could see why it is so beloved for those who have spent time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top