Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
I could sit on the beach and watch freighters all day.
i think i could too. i may test that theory this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM

192 posts, read 494,162 times
How about Houghton? Located on the Keweenaw Peninsula, it's a great college town. Plus you can look across the bay and view the highest point in Michigan.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The UP is just an extension of northern Wisconsin. It's more Wisconsin than Michigan. I've been through both Rhinelander and Wausau and Michigan isn't much different or better. If you didn't like Wisconsin I don't see how Michigan is going to be any different.
Simply not true, just because a bridge doesn't seperate the two states doesn't mean they are more related. I will not go far into this topic but just speaking of geography, both the UP and LP are shaped by lakes on all sides. LP is more urban but a large portion is rural as the UP.

If your looking for a small town try looking at Marquette, Traverse City, Sault Ste Marie and maybe even Holland.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,984 times
thanks! for geographical and the offerings, we are strongly considering Marquette! really pretty excited about it. i highly doubt that Marquette, MI will be much like Rhinelander, WI LoL... but i wouldn't mind if it were something like Wausau, and man it'd be quite a blessing if it really is like Boulder, CO 25 years ago! but i won't hold my breath on that one ;-)

the things i am optimistic about and looking forward to:
lower cost of living than CO
the water IS NOT RUNNING OUT lol and it's safer.
i'd rather my kids learn hockey in MI than CO! ;-)
getting my boys back into sailing
more affordable rent/home prices than CO
better homeschool laws than CO
latin mass IN TOWN.... ridiculously awesome.
college atmosphere (i'm told)
BEAUTIFUL and CLEAN town (i'm told)
close to the apostle islands and so much wilderness
close to Canada. we <3 Canada :-)
won't have to re-register everything under the sun, AGAIN.
closer to family and friends
omg, they have a dog sled race through town. gotta love that.
PASTIES. can't find those in CO!
safest environment i can think of to raise kids in

i'm sure i'll think of more, while i try n psyche myself up for the motivation to pack once again... :-/

thanks for all the replies guys! my mind is 95% made up. just have to see Marquette and Menominee. also gotta take that trip out to CO, finances willing. CO might just have to be our vacation spot though... maybe a second home "when our ship comes in" lol

thanks again :-)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
safest environment i can think of to raise kids in
And this ultimately is why we decided to hang up our traveling shoes (as far as moving frequently) and settle down right here in the Marquette area.

To us, it offers the best of all worlds while being an incredibly safe place to raise our kids.

Old fashioned family values are still the law of the land up here. I've heard many people say it's like stepping back in time 50 years to a much slower pace of life.

(it's not for everyone but it's perfect for us)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Old fashioned family values are still the law of the land up here. I've heard many people say it's like stepping back in time 50 years to a much slower pace of life.

(it's not for everyone but it's perfect for us)
With the way the world is now-a-days, seems like many people will be seeking out this lifestyle. Sounds like the perfect life to me.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
I've been to Marquette, Rhinelander and Wausau and Marquette is closer to Rhinelander. However on this forum it is the greatest city ever.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I've been to Marquette, Rhinelander and Wausau and Marquette is closer to Rhinelander. However on this forum it is the greatest city ever.
Yes but these people obviously like this northern part of the country, and nature. These are two things you hate...so of course you will have nothing good to say about anything north of Detroit. Ive also been to Marquette and LOVED it.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
Marquette has a lot to offer base off your list above, it is also home to Northern Michigan University.
Speaking of Canada, in Michigan you have access to Canada on all sides, a long with a lot of great Canadian parks that will not be a option in Colorado. I know someone who have parents up north and will be making a trip to Polar Bear Provincial Park.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
"in Michigan you have access to Canada on all sides,"

And here I thought that Wisconsin was to the west, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois to the south.

Just north of Wausau about a half hour is a quaint small town called Merril. Lots or rolling hills with streams in the area. Nice people too.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan