Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
It is. I hope there are some good photogs out there willing to share! I bet those up north shots are awesome tonight!
Taking a good pic of the moon is tough if you dont have the right equipment....then it just looks like a giant floodlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
It is. I hope there are some good photogs out there willing to share! I bet those up north shots are awesome tonight!
I don't know how good it is, but here is one from last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Taking a good pic of the moon is tough if you dont have the right equipment....then it just looks like a giant floodlight.
Just remember that the moon is VERY bright against the night sky and alter your settings for that. Keep the speed up much further than you first think. The above shot was taken at 1/80"; ISO: 100; f:11 with a fully manual 40+ year old 500mm lens mounted to the DSLR with a $5 internet adapter.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:26 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
^OMG! That is an incredible shot! Wow. Thanks for posting that!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,641,698 times
Wow, what a great shot of our beautiful moon! Thank you for posting this. I set it for my desktop to enjoy every time I come to the computer.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM

20 posts, read 33,741 times
how is summer any better im mi than any other state>? if you're gonna say lakes- keep in mind many states have lakes- ny has thousands. and mountains and an ocean... and a few real cities. i dont get it... how is it better? You know what I think? I think "people from MI" say it's better because they don't know any different. They sound like parrots. lol

Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Now thats a moon shot Bydand...awesome!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 PM

20 posts, read 33,741 times
there's high taxes in ann arbor too. the cost of living in a2 is actually higher than nyc. I live in both every year. In ann arbor you need a car, PLUS the $2000 in rent and higher cost of food.

The reason taxes and cost of living are so low in MI is because PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO LIVE HERE. it's simple. It drives the economy if there is less demand. It's expensive in NY because people want to live there, people from all over the world. This is another common thing I hear from locals. "NY is TOO EXPENSIVE, and the people are rude" is the other one. I find that the cost of living in NY- we do go there from here and back, often- is about 3-400 for the two of us a month. And that's because we're eating out every night, no cooking. Yes, rent is higher- but imagine not paying two car payments, insurance, maintenance and gas... and instead- $76 for all you're transpo needs for a month. That adds up quick. It's near even cost wise from an a2 apt to an upscale brooklyn appt in a clean, safe ethnically diverse neighborhood. We've stayed in 5 so far, and spanish harlem. Oh, and I'm not saying 5 states is "SO MUCH." But it's more than the average person- especially at age 30, no? How many states have you lived in? My guess... one. Or two. It's not a contest. I'm just saying- I have some comparison. Oh, and you wanna know who's got the most amazing spring I've ever seen? North Carolina. Or... maybe New Mexico. The desert in bloom is something to behold for real.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:06 AM

98 posts, read 181,169 times
The weather ahead shows that the temps will go back to freezing.So it is 6 months of winter,at least.Also,summers are not reliably summers.This is Michigan....

Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
there's high taxes in ann arbor too. the cost of living in a2 is actually higher than nyc. I live in both every year. In ann arbor you need a car, PLUS the $2000 in rent and higher cost of food.

The reason taxes and cost of living are so low in MI is because PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO LIVE HERE. it's simple. It drives the economy if there is less demand. It's expensive in NY because people want to live there, people from all over the world. This is another common thing I hear from locals. "NY is TOO EXPENSIVE, and the people are rude" is the other one. I find that the cost of living in NY- we do go there from here and back, often- is about 3-400 for the two of us a month. And that's because we're eating out every night, no cooking. Yes, rent is higher- but imagine not paying two car payments, insurance, maintenance and gas... and instead- $76 for all you're transpo needs for a month. That adds up quick. It's near even cost wise from an a2 apt to an upscale brooklyn appt in a clean, safe ethnically diverse neighborhood. We've stayed in 5 so far, and spanish harlem. Oh, and I'm not saying 5 states is "SO MUCH." But it's more than the average person- especially at age 30, no? How many states have you lived in? My guess... one. Or two. It's not a contest. I'm just saying- I have some comparison. Oh, and you wanna know who's got the most amazing spring I've ever seen? North Carolina. Or... maybe New Mexico. The desert in bloom is something to behold for real.

People want to live in New York State? Really? New York State has been losing population for decades. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton are all cities on the decline with falling populations. Did you ever live in these cities? You need a car to get around plus you still pay high taxes. Syracuse lost it's symphony orchestra in the 1990s due to budget cuts.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
She's referring to NYC area only -- the same way half the state means Detroit area when they refer to MI. You're not going without a car in most of NY state. In that respect, the city dwellers there are more insular than those in MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
People want to live in New York State? Really? New York State has been losing population for decades. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton are all cities on the decline with falling populations. Did you ever live in these cities? You need a car to get around plus you still pay high taxes. Syracuse lost it's symphony orchestra in the 1990s due to budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan