U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 2,491,621 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the chicago burbs. I've always wanted to buy a few acres of land where I can kinda do what I want no HOA's or any of that garbage.

I'd like to get some cheap land and build a shipping container home there. Get a four wheeler or some toys, have bonfires, basically just a place within say 3-4 hour drive of CHicago wher I could go for a weekend after work on a friday night.

Any ideas of areas with dirt cheap land in SW Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM

337 posts, read 561,465 times
Lee Township, south of Fennville, north of Bangor

Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM

259 posts, read 528,763 times
Do you have a budget your looking at?

Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 PM

749 posts, read 1,214,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
Do you have a budget your looking at?
I do, I'd like a flat acre or 1/2 with a well and septic on it already for around $5000 out near Decatur, Waterviliet or North of Plainwell, Otsego, Alamao area. I've searched quite a bit, but all I come up with is a bunch of Jaqua realtor nonsense.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 PM

337 posts, read 561,465 times
Southwestern Regional Information Center

Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,272,019 times
Our house and land in SW Michigan was really cheap, but...well, it had a house on it already, so was a bit more than what you're looking to spend. Have you considered calling a realtor in the areas you're looking and seeing if they have any clients who are looking to subdivide and sell a portion of their land? Otherwise you'll mostly find plots owned by developers where you wouldn't be able to do what you're looking to do, large plots for hunting that will cost a lot more than what you're looking to spend, or land with a house already on it. Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I do, I'd like a flat acre or 1/2 with a well and septic on it already for around $5000 out near Decatur, Waterviliet or North of Plainwell, Otsego, Alamao area. I've searched quite a bit, but all I come up with is a bunch of Jaqua realtor nonsense.
that's not going to happen. per acre even with the low costs now, are $2000+ if you get less than 5 acres they go up even high, up to 20,000 or more. in the cheaper areas like you are looking, even 1 acres is going to be closer to $5k with no improvements. A well alone is going to cost $3,500 to $10,000 and a septic system probably 50% to 100% the same as the well.

unfortunately your plans are just unrealistic. but that doesn't mean you can't get lucky on a foreclosure with a condemned house or trailer. Then you would just have to pay to remove the structure and you would be left with the property with well and septic. but removing an old building can also cost a couple thousand. and even as a foreclosure, you are still looking at $5000 to $10,000.

what you are talking about is doable in the $10k range, but not so much in the 5k range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan