Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM

911 posts, read 2,147,735 times

Advertisements

we are trying to get close to WI, and need to live within 1 1/2 hours from Green Bay or Chicago, unless we move to Marquette.
we need to stay living in MI.

we already have work that will be coming with us. we will be checking these places out, but would like some first hand local info. or even if you're just familiar with one or more of these towns.

we are considering Menominee, but heard it's not all that nice or fun, not much to write home about.... and well, i don't know how true this is, but people i've talked to have called it "kind of a hole". i don't want to end up in another "truck stop town"...

we are considering Marquette, but it's a little isolated.. we haven't figured out if that works to our advantage or not, it depends on how much it really has going on, and if there's much of a community feel. can one spend the better part of a year in the area without going nuts? i know it depends on the family, but would you say it has a lot going on for a college town like, say, Athens, GA or Ann Arbor, or Boulder, etc? or is it more of just a small town with a college in it?

New Buffalo, i know, it's probably not very remarkable. i've only stopped there once though, and have driven through many times. however, it's close enough to chicago for us, but we'd still probably pass it up if we didn't enjoy the actual town as well. the thing this town has over the others is that it's closer to family.

if you had your pick, where would you choose and why? which would you choose for raising a family?

we are torn between a more isolated yooper existence and a kinda backroads but close to major metropolitan existence. i'm hoping some local insights will help guide us through the decision making process.......................

thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM

358 posts, read 1,059,552 times
Your criteria are somewhat confusing. Either you have to be within 1.5 hours of Green Bay or Chicago, or you could live in a remote location like Marquette? The three towns you list are very different.

Personally, I would not choose any of them. New Buffalo is a resort town taken over by Chicagoland folks. Menominee would be interesting for a while but not for long term. Marquette has too short of a summer for me.

You might want to look at Stevensville. If I wanted to be 1.5 hours from Chicago, thats what I would choose.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks I'll look up stevensville...

we need to live near one of those cities. Other than that, we can also live in Marquette. It's based on religious offerings.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,874,566 times
If you dont mind a true 6 months of winter...I would choose Marquette.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM

760 posts, read 2,434,649 times
Famlife - You really need to just get in your vehicle and go spend time in all three places. No matter what anyone's opinion is, you won't know if it's right for y'all until you spend some time in each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
If you dont mind a true 6 months of
winter...I would choose Marquette.
On a side note.....

We didn't have any snow accumulation until the end of November this year....... and here it's March 15th and we've been experiencing sunny days with highs in the upper 40's (it's nice to go for long leisurely walks with no coats needed!). The ten day forecast looks very favorable for an early spring.... if this holds true, we'll only have had a 4 month winter this year. I'm sure we'll get another surprise storm or two but no big deal.
This seems to be an overall trend in recent years.
Of course Ma Nature can change the trend back to 6 month winters in a heartbeat!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Famlife - You really need to just get in your vehicle and go spend time in all three places. No matter what anyone's opinion is, you won't know if it's right for y'all until you spend some time in each one.

On a side note.....

We didn't have any snow accumulation until the end of November this year....... and here it's March 15th and we've been experiencing sunny days with highs in the upper 40's (it's nice to go for long leisurely walks with no coats needed!). The ten day forecast looks very favorable for an early spring.... if this holds true, we'll only have had a 4 month winter this year. I'm sure we'll get another surprise storm or two but no big deal.
This seems to be an overall trend in recent years.
Of course Ma Nature can change the trend back to 6 month winters in a heartbeat!
Some people consider it still winter until the last snow and cold are gone. To me, winter is done once that cycle of cold days are gone and it rains more then it snows...so to me, winter is done. Even if it does snow again it wont stay for long. I guess it all depends on the person when winter is truely done, so saying Marquette or anywhere else in Michigan has a true 6 months of winter I guess is not really correct. Im with you...I think its closer to 4 months of "hard" winter.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM

thankks all, i know it's going to boil down to me actually going and visiting, i'm just gathering info and opinions in the meantime... i'm pretty restless about the whole thing right now...... i enjoy hearing other's takes on things, it gives me things to consider and think about.

it has seemed like a particularly sunny winter this year.. and aside from the huge snow storm we had, the weather has been pretty unremarkable.

thanks again :-)

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
thankks all, i know it's going to boil down to me actually going and visiting, i'm just gathering info and opinions in the meantime... i'm pretty restless about the whole thing right now...... i enjoy hearing other's takes on things, it gives me things to consider and think about.

it has seemed like a particularly sunny winter this year.. and aside from the huge snow storm we had, the weather has been pretty unremarkable.

thanks again :-)
Just my 2 cents...we have our heart set on the Traverse City area. Last summer we stopped by Marquette (our first visit) on the way to the Porcupine Mountains. We were blown away at the beauty and vibrancy of this city...so much so on the way back we unhitched out travel trailer and did some exploring. Weve been all over Michigan, and fell in love instantly. If it werent for my business depending on a little bigger and busier towns nearby...we would probably consider moving to Marquette instead.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,898,052 times
Marquette by far. But to be fair, I have never even heard of New Buffalo, much less been there. Marquette is an excellent place to raise a family and to do business.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM

67 posts, read 213,135 times
why does it have to be any of those areas? why Not Grand Rapids? It s not a huge city, still a medium sized city with relative safety, with smaller backwoods towns nearby. Its only 3 hours to Chicago, and you can take a ferry across the lake to get to Wisconsin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan