Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,930,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I've seen alot of bare one down south............oh!excuse me, your talking wildlife.
Hmmm....the South you say? Well, it is warmer down there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Wildlifely speaking, a bear was sighted in north Grand Rapids a couple years ago. Have any ever been seen further south?

Bear do live along of and north of a line that runs through Grand Rapids, Flint and over into the Thumb. Anywhere south of I69, or I96 near GR it is much less likely, but bear definately live in the area you speak of. There just are not that many of them, so its not that common to see them. I know of one being killed on M21 east of Owosso, and one was hit on I75 between Flint and Saginaw. These areas represent the southern limits of Michigan black bear. Its not out of the question however that they could repopulate areas further south, they lived there at one time and as areas become more forrested again, well like the cougar they could return.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Bear do live along of and north of a line that runs through Grand Rapids, Flint and over into the Thumb. Anywhere south of I69, or I96 near GR it is much less likely, but bear definately live in the area you speak of. There just are not that many of them, so its not that common to see them. I know of one being killed on M21 east of Owosso, and one was hit on I75 between Flint and Saginaw. These areas represent the southern limits of Michigan black bear. Its not out of the question however that they could repopulate areas further south, they lived there at one time and as areas become more forrested again, well like the cougar they could return.
Bears obviously need forested areas to live in - not much left in southern Michigan. The local residents must know about them, wonder how they deal with it.
Now we're into Michigan wildlife, but porkies - I thought they were everywhere (though I haven't actually seen any this far south). Why would they only populate the northern areas, unless they have special needs?
What do they eat - they seem too slow to chase anything down.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Quote:
Bears obviously need forested areas to live in - not much left in southern Michigan. The local residents must know about them, wonder how they deal with it.
Now we're into Michigan wildlife, but porkies - I thought they were everywhere (though I haven't actually seen any this far south). Why would they only populate the northern areas, unless they have special needs?
What do they eat - they seem too slow to chase anything down.
Let's just hope you never have to out run them. One swipe and you'd
be falling like dominos....

Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 AM

In Cadillac,Mi. in the 60's there was a Texaco station called "Elm Rest" on M-131, that had caged bears out front on display.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Let's just hope you never have to out run them. One swipe and you'd
be falling like dominos....
Yep, their lumbering gait is quite deceiving (and endearing). Makes you want to hug 'em.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM

62 posts, read 116,482 times
bears could conceivably recolonize the allegan state game area....tons of forest there.......lots of wild turkeys,bald eagles, bobcat, coyote, ect.....black bears are more adaptable than we give em credit for......

porcupines eat leaves, sap, bark, ect.....similar diet to beavers.........they like salt and will gnaw through axe handles to consume the salt left behind from sweaty hands........i lived in the jones-three rivers area for a long time when i was a kid and saw lots of wildlife (had a pair of loons that nested in a pond in a block of forest behind our house...you could hear them at night calling back there, that area was a bit south of where the loons usually nest) wood ducks, raccoons, coyotes, feral dogs.........never saw a porcupine though.......

Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Our dogs were always coming home with quill in their nose.
(NW mi) Wexford, County.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maersk View Post
bears could conceivably recolonize the allegan state game area....tons of forest there.......lots of wild turkeys,bald eagles, bobcat, coyote, ect.....black bears are more adaptable than we give em credit for......
Wonder how the hunters would feel about this. I live near there, turkeys everywhere. Haven't seen the others or I haven't paid attention (eagles may be in the protected areas). Most wildlife seem to favor the farmers' fields.
Quote:
Our dogs were always coming home with quill in their nose. (NW mi) Wexford, County.
Wexford is still pretty rustic. Just did a campground search. Sorry to find out that the state is closing up campgrounds like crazy.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Wonder how the hunters would feel about this. I live near there, turkeys everywhere. Haven't seen the others or I haven't paid attention (eagles may be in the protected areas). Most wildlife seem to favor the farmers' fields.

Wexford is still pretty rustic. Just did a campground search. Sorry to find out that the state is closing up campgrounds like crazy.
I just read somewhere that "the Bald Eagle" is no longer considered an endangered specie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan