Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:19 PM

580 posts, read 1,676,510 times

Advertisements

Lansing, Michigan downtown just about sleeps day and night. Due to the fact its the capital city, I would assume that its one of the best cities in the state. There isnt really downtown living right in the heartland of downtown... nor alot of great stores. I'm strating to see improvements of the downtown stores but not living wise.
Question:
What do you think about Lansing, Michigan downtown.
Have you heard about any future upgrades that is likely to happen?
Is the city on a positive side?
What does it need to do to have heartland apartments... expand more outward or upward?
Please respond
-Thanks
http://www.interfaithtrust.org/blog/files/downtown-lansing.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by 100%Michigan; 12-19-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM

259 posts, read 820,389 times
I've been there once back in grade school, thats all.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 PM

79 posts, read 417,401 times
You may be interested in this website: www.develop.metrolansing.com

It outlines all of the projects currently going on in Lansing, specifically Downtown.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 AM

222 posts, read 808,073 times
Default Why Are You Asking?

If you don't mind me saying so, this seems like an odd question.

If you actually lived in Lansing (like you seem to imply) you would have to been living under a rock not to have heard all the talk the last two months about the new development coming to downtown Lansing: the insurance company moving into the old power plant, the new City Market, the new complex on Cedar street, the nearly finished mixed use condos/stores across from Olds Park, and the list goes on and on.

But, if you don't live in Lansing, why take a cheap shot at our "sleepy downtown?" Are you planning on moving here? If so, say so, and then actually do some research about the city, rather than trolling here.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 PM

447 posts, read 1,240,821 times
My impression, since you're asking, is that downtown Lansing lacks a lot of the vibrancy that Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor has. It's always seemed like the kind of a place where there's more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. I used to visit monthly back in the 80s and was never excited to be there (although there used to be an "Olympia Cafe" type of diner down there that reminded me of the SNL routine!) .

Now it's just occasional trips to the state library or museum, plus a once-a-year visit to the convention center (but I usually end up getting bumped to some hotel out on Creyts Rd.)

I wish I had more exposure to some of the new stuff happening there. As our capital city, I would hope it could support a vibrant daytime business life as well as a trendy night life too.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
If you don't mind me saying so, this seems like an odd question.

If you actually lived in Lansing (like you seem to imply) you would have to been living under a rock not to have heard all the talk the last two months about the new development coming to downtown Lansing: the insurance company moving into the old power plant, the new City Market, the new complex on Cedar street, the nearly finished mixed use condos/stores across from Olds Park, and the list goes on and on.

But, if you don't live in Lansing, why take a cheap shot at our "sleepy downtown?" Are you planning on moving here? If so, say so, and then actually do some research about the city, rather than trolling here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieoz View Post
You may be interested in this website: www.develop.metrolansing.com

It outlines all of the projects currently going on in Lansing, specifically Downtown.

Everyone thanks for the replies, also the website Adieoz gave me helped out alot.

As for Michiganbob how do you know if I didnt do reseach about the city? Eventhough I know it very well. Since it seems like you do not know the reason of this thread, why tend to reply ( I hope I didn't come off rude ). I also wanted to get the point of view from others of the city of Lansing. I dont live under rock nor does it seem like I have, the city of Lansing is what I believe to be one of the best cities in the country... ( my oppinion ) Rather its a sleepy downtown or not I still like it although I'm hoping it starts to become more develop. I wasnt intending to offend anyone or get a reply to question me in such a rude way.

-Best wishes

Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm very excited to see the finish work of these projects
www.develop.metrolansing.com
The Ball Park North I believe is one of my favorite projects.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:26 PM

79 posts, read 417,401 times
I am excited about the new proposed project at Ottawa and Butler. It is the first project of its type on that side of town and will tie Downtown to the virbrant Westside Neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:38 AM

222 posts, read 808,073 times
Default You made my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
As for Michiganbob how do you know if I didnt do reseach about the city? . . . I wasnt intending to offend anyone or get a reply to question me in such a rude way.
How do I know you didn't do research? I don't for sure, but as I and several people have pointed out, there is a LOT going in downtown Lansing these days and it really doesn't take much effort to find that out. To describe it as "sleepy" is just not accurate and to do so does come across as a slight to this fine city, intended or otherwise. While you may think my response is rude, I was mearly trying to make that point in defense of a lot of folks who are working hard to revitalize the downtown.

I also don't think comparisons to either GR or AA are helpful. AA has the U of M nearby and all the students and GR is a much bigger city, although one that has worked hard to bring business to its downtown.

If there is more that you feel leaders should be doing, please make the suggestion, but don't come here with a broad brush to paint the town as "sleepy" and post a few generic pics.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Michiganbob I appreciate your defense toward the city, but I'm going to leave this discussion between me and you now. I describe the city as "sleepy" toward my oppinion. I think the leaders are doing wonderful, and as you may know (hopefully) I made this thread so I can find out more about what the city is doing and other people's oppinion toward it. City-Data forums are fill with oppinions, and many oppinions that may offend others. But its going to take a bigger person to understand a oppinion and question. Now who ever you think that person is... it is simply your oppinion. Know the difference?
-Thanks
( I understand that your trying to defend the city, because at times I like to defend the city as well. I get discussed when others people say something offensive toward the city of Lansing, but I also understand its their oppinion. I wasn't trying to come off in no way toward the city of Lansing negative... nor would I ever want to. I just had questions, and it ever so happens someone got offended by it and wanted to address me. Which I think ( my oppinion ) shouldnt have been done. Now that I find was offensive. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan