Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

YOU'RE AN OLD MICHIGANDER (OR JUST OLD) IF........

.... You took a 'moonlight cruise' to Bob-Lo with Captain Bob-Lo or went to Edgewater Amusement Park .

.... You shopped at Hughes and Hatcher, B Siegel, Peck and Peck, Himelhochs, Robert Hall, Crowley's, Shoppers Fair, EJ Korvettes or Federals and of course Demery's.

.... You rode the elevator at J. L. Hudson's, which was 'run' by an elevator operator. Fabulous Toy Department on the 12th floor.

.... You remember a Winkleman's, Sanders and Federal store in your neighborhood.

.... You remember the 'Big Snow', Buffalo Bob, Howdy Doody, Clarabelle, Phineas T. Bluster, Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring.

.... You remember Twin Pines Dairy delivered milk and juice to the chute on the side of your house and Milky the Clown performed magic with the magic words 'Twin Pines.'

.... You remember the Good Humor man in a white uniform, ringing the bells as he drove down your street.

.... You remember Olympia Stadium.

.... You remember when Vernors was made on Woodward Ave., and a bearded troll was on the bottle.

.... Your Mom got groceries at Great Scott, Food Fair, Wrigley's or Chatham, C. F. Smith was even earlier.

.... Your Mom saved Holden Red Stamps, S&H Green stamps, or Gold Bell Gift stamps, and you licked them into those little books.

.... Kresge's and Woolworth's were 'Dime Stores.'

.... You had an uncle in the furniture business (Joshua Door).

.... You know who Bill Kennedy is.

.... You saw the Detroit Lions play football in Tiger Stadium.

.... You remember Black Bart and the Faygo song. Or how about 'Which way did he go? He went for Faygo, old fashion root beer.'

.... You watched Rita Bell's! prize movies in the morning.

.... You remember Jack LeGoff and Van Patrick and Wolf-Man Jack.

..... You remember Milky the Clown, Soupy Sales, Johnny Ginger, Poopdeck Paul, Captain Jolly, Sagebrush Shorty and maybe even Sergeant Satko Salute.

.... You visited the Wonder Bread Bakery and got to take home a mini loaf of bread.

.... Your address had a two-digit 'zone' before there were zip codes. Detroit 19, Michigan .

.... You remember 'Get on the right track at 9 mile and Mack, to get the best deal in town. Roy O'Brien, it's the best deal in town.'

.... You remember a laundry chute and a milk chute and a coal chute.

.... You remember going to Detroit Edison with your Mom to exchange burned out light bulbs for new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Whoa! Lots of things I haven't thought of in awhile. I probably would have gone to my grave not recalling Rita Bell's Prize Movie. Thanks for the great list.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
YOU'RE AN OLD MICHIGANDER (OR JUST OLD) IF........

.... You took a 'moonlight cruise' to Bob-Lo with Captain Bob-Lo or went to Edgewater Amusement Park .

I WENT TO BOB-LO ON THE BOAT. NO IDEA WHETHER THERE WAS A CAPTAIN BOB. I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO STAY UP UNTIL MIDNIGHT.

.... You shopped at Hughes and Hatcher, B Siegel, Peck and Peck, Himelhochs, Robert Hall, Crowley's, Shoppers Fair, EJ Korvettes or Federals and of course Demery's.

VAGUE MEMORY OF FEDERALS DPEARTMENT STORE. I KNOW WE WENT TO CROWLEY'S TOO BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS.

.... You rode the elevator at J. L. Hudson's, which was 'run' by an elevator operator. Fabulous Toy Department on the 12th floor.

I RODE THE ELEVATOR. NO IDEA IF THERE WAS AN OPERATOR. IF THERE WAS A TOY DEPT. I WAS PROBABLY THERE. I REMEMBER THINKING THAT HUDSONS WAS INTERMINABLY BORING. NOW I WOUDL LOVE TO BE ABLE TO GO THERE. STILL HATE SHOPPING, BUT WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE THAT WAS.

.... You remember a Winkleman's, Sanders and Federal store in your neighborhood.

I REMEMBER SANDERS AND FEDERAL, BUT THERE WERE NO STORES IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. JUST HORSES AND APPLES

.... You remember the 'Big Snow', Buffalo Bob, Howdy Doody, Clarabelle, Phineas T. Bluster, Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring.

I RECALL A REALLY STUPID SONG "ITS HOWDY DOODY TIME" BUT I CANNOT RECALL THE SHOW. NONE OF THE OTHERS RING A BELL.

.... You remember Twin Pines Dairy delivered milk and juice to the chute on the side of your house and Milky the Clown performed magic with the magic words 'Twin Pines.'

I RECALL TWIN PINES MILK, BUT NOT WHAT IT CAME IN. I DO REMEMBER WHEN MILK CAME IN A PLASTIC BAG. I ALSO REMEMBER WHEN MILK CAME IN A BOX AS A PWDER. JUST ADD WATER. IT WAS DISGUSTING.

.... You remember the Good Humor man in a white uniform, ringing the bells as he drove down your street.

I NOT ONLY REMEMBER, BUT IT IS STILL MY DREAM TO RETIRE AND BECOME THE GOOD HUMOR MAN.

.... You remember Olympia Stadium.

WHAT IS THAT?

.... You remember when Vernors was made on Woodward Ave., and a bearded troll was on the bottle.

THAT WAS NOT THAT LONG AGO. I REMEMBER STANDING OUTSIDE THE FACTORY WATCHING THEM FILL THE BOTTLES WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE.

DID THEY TAKE THE BEARDED TROLL OFF THE BOTTLE? I DID NOT NOTICE. HOWEVER I HAVE NOT REALLY LOOKED AT A VERNORS BOTTLE FOR A LONG TIME.

.... Your Mom got groceries at Great Scott, Food Fair, Wrigley's or Chatham, C. F. Smith was even earlier.

I RECALL SEEING GREAT SCOTT AND WRIGLEY'S (THEY BECAME IGA), I THINK THAT THERE WAS A CHATHAM IN NORTHVILLE, BUT WE SHOPPED AT K ROGER. BETTER PRICES.

.... Your Mom saved Holden Red Stamps, S&H Green stamps, or Gold Bell Gift stamps, and you licked them into those little books.

I REMEMBER GREEN STAMPS AND SOME OTHER STAMPS THAT YOU COULD TURN IN AND GET STUFF. FOR EVERY BOOK I LICKED AND FILLED, I WAS ALLOWED TO KEEP A SHEET OF STAMPS FOR MY OWN BOOK. YOU COULD GET TOYS TOO YOU KNOW!

.... Kresge's and Woolworth's were 'Dime Stores.'

THAT IS WHAT THEY CALLED THEM, BUT NOTHING WAS A DIME.

.... You had an uncle in the furniture business (Joshua Door).

I RECALL THE ADS ON TV (A TV THAT REQURIED TUBES), BUT WE NEVER WENT THERE.

.... You know who Bill Kennedy is.

TED'S BROTHER? JOHN'S SECOND COUSIN?

.... You saw the Detroit Lions play football in Tiger Stadium.

NO IDEA. YOU COULD NOT REALLY SEE THAT MUCH ON THOSE OLD TUBE TVS. WE ONLY WENT OT DETROIT FOR TIGERS GAMES THAT I CAN REMEMBER.

.... You remember Black Bart and the Faygo song. Or how about 'Which way did he go? He went for Faygo, old fashion root beer.'

COME ON, EVEN MY KIDS KNOW THE FAYGO SONG. BLACK BART WAS A HOODLUM IN NEW MEXICO DURING THE WILD WEST DAYS WHOSE HEAD CAME OFF WHEN HE WAS HANGED. HOWEVER I CERTAINLY DO NOT REMEMBER HIM. THAT WAS IN THE 1800S I THINK.

.... You watched Rita Bell's! prize movies in the morning.

WHO IS RITA BELL? AND WHOSE MOM ALLOWED THEM TO WATCH MOVIES IN THE MORNING?

.... You remember Jack LeGoff and Van Patrick and Wolf-Man Jack.

AGAIN, EVEN MY KIDS KNOW WHO WOLF MAN JACK IS. WHAT ABOUT MR. BILL? NO IDEA ON THE OTHERS.

..... You remember Milky the Clown, Soupy Sales, Johnny Ginger, Poopdeck Paul, Captain Jolly, Sagebrush Shorty and maybe even Sergeant Satko Salute.

ONLY SOUPY SALES. THE REST COULD BE CHINESE NAMES TO ME.

.... You visited the Wonder Bread Bakery and got to take home a mini loaf of bread.

NO IDEA. NO MEMORY OF THIS.

.... Your address had a two-digit 'zone' before there were zip codes. Detroit 19, Michigan .

NO, BUT BEFORE WE MOVED, OUR TELEPHONE NUMBER BEGAN WITH GARFIELD (ga) INSTEAD OF NUMBERS.

.... You remember 'Get on the right track at 9 mile and Mack, to get the best deal in town. Roy O'Brien, it's the best deal in town.'

NO.

.... You remember a laundry chute and a milk chute and a coal chute.

LAUNDRY CHUTES ARE STILL AROUND. I TRIED TO PUT ONE IN OUR CURRENT HOUSE, BUT WE COULD NOT FIND A PLACE FOR IT.

.... You remember going to Detroit Edison with your Mom to exchange burned out light bulbs for new ones.

THIS I REMEMEBER.

SO DO I QUALIFY AS OLD? IF SO, I HAVE SOME TO ADD:

GOING TO TOWN CLUB TO PICK OUT A DOZEN FLAVORS OF SODA FOR A PARTY.

GOING TO RADIO SCHACK TO USE THE TUBE TESTER TO GET THE OLD BLACK AND WHITE TV WORKING SO YOU COULD PLUG IN YOUR NEW ATARI GAME.

HOT CHOCOLATE WITH PEPPERMINT SCHNAPPS PASSED AROUND WHILE WAITING FOR THE HUDSON'S PARADE (WHEN I WAS OLDER, ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO DRINK LEGALLY).

PICKING UP CANS ALONG THE ROAD FOR BOY SCOUTS BEFORE THEY HAD THE DEPOSIT.

CLOVERDALE ICE CREAM PARLOR.

FARRELLS ICE CREAM ("PIG OUT")

SEAT BELTS? YOU ARE JUST KIDS, YOU DO NOT NEED SEAT BELTS. JUST CRAWL INTO THE BACK OF THE STATION WAGON AND LIE DOWN.

WONDERLAND MALL IN LIVONIA.

YOU KNOW THAT SOUTH LYON MICHIGAN WAS THE "HORSE CAPITAL OF THE UNITED STATES" ACCORDING TO THE ALMANAC.

YOU COULD CRAM 21 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS INTO A SEDAN (AND NOT GET A TICKET). - AND YOU WOULD CALL THAT FUN.

YOUR PILLOW CASE HAD IRON ON PICTURES OF TIGERS PLAYERS ON IT. MICKE MANTLE? I CANNOT REMEMEBR WHO THEY WERE.

"THE BIRD IS THE WORD" MAKES YOU THINK OF TIGERS. (OK NOT ALL THAT OLD THERE)

YOU REMEMBER GETTING SOMETHING LIKE 4 FEET OF SNOW AND THE ENTIRE DETROIT METRO BEING SHUT DOWN FOR A WEEK.

YOU SAW PROTESTS AGAINST THAT DANGEROUS NUCLER POWER STUFF IN MONROE.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
A lot of Detroit stuff there, but Michigan nevertheless.

Sonny Elliot, the greatest weatherman ever.

Al Kaline & George Kell broadcasting Tigers games on channel 4.

Eli Zaret.

Remember when the Red Wings were called the Dead Wings?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Hockey at the Olympia...the sister stadium to the Chicago Blackhawks arena...

John Kelly and Marilyn Turner in the morning...

Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Oopsey the Clown.

Harold Peary singing the Faygo song.

The Tigers playing in flannels, with the way-cool gray road uniforms with the numbers on the sleeves.

Gordie Howe in Olympia, Alex Karras in Tiger Stadium.

Candy for a dime.

The Highland Appliance/Ollie Fretter appliance TV ad wars.

It bears repeating: A Sander's store.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM

183 posts, read 610,186 times
Holy Cow. I remember most of this stuff. I must really be an old Michigander...such memories...(but I don't feel that old!)

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
I don't go that far back but to me the good ol days was the late 70s and all of the 80s.

When the railroads were still running. Little towns were booming and had factories, bank, grocery store, hardware store, barber.... everything you needed. Once the railroads went down, little towns went down with it and now all you really find in most little towns is a party store and a bar.

When my sister and I were little, our grandparents would fold down the back seat of the wagon and drive us around the back roads and go fishing. Since then I have always loved wagons and they always had wagons. But when I was 7 years old I really loved the 84 Plymouth Voyager. And what I loved even more was when I was 13 and the 90 Pontiac Trans Sport came out. I have one now in addition to the wagon. Back then the cars, cookie cutter as they may have been, looked better at least to me. These days it seems everything looks like a jellybean.

Back then I remember the milk in the plastic bag in the reusable orange plastic pitcher. But also back then I had a couple barium enemas which looked too much like that bag of milk and I never looked at it the same again. I do know of a family that used the powdered milk, they had 5 teenage boys and that was the only way they could afford milk. And there was no Walmart, everybody went to Glens. And they wheeled your groceries out and would load them for you.

Back then roads were in better shape and the snowplows would be keeping the roads clear several times a day. I used to ride my bike to school and at lunch I would be able to buy a 20oz bottle of Kick for 39 cents. I remember when a stamp was a quarter and you could put the money for it in a cup in the mailbox.

Back then it was a small black and white TV and a few fuzzy channels. The rich kids had color TV and cable, or the king of all, the c-band dish. I remember when scrambling started. There were no copiers or computers or VCRs. The school had a typewriter and a mimeograph and a movie projector. Nowadays I'm the one with the c-band dish, analog color TV with converter box that barely picks up any OTA channels, and VCR and occassionally used DVD player. I'm moving up in the world.

I remember when Charlevoix had no fast food, and when the first one, McDonalds, went up. Before that you had to drive to Petoskey or TC for any fast food so you almost never had it. Also back then, probably because your small town had everything, you didn't have to drive all over the place everyday to accomplish your needs like you do today. A trip to Petoskey was rare. A trip to Traverse City was a once a year thing, for school shopping. A trip to Grand Rapids was a big planned event and you maybe did that once every 5 years.

Back then the hospital seemed more like walking into an institution. Nowadays they've opened up the space and made it more green and friendly. The worst was the unemployment office, which my folks called the unenjoyment office. It was the sterotypical crabby workers with the glasses on the end of their nose, long waits, cramped quarters. Nowadays it's opened up, and the people are more friendly, and even with the tons of layoffs and job losses there's never really a wait. Probably because most people just do it online.

The internet has done a lot. I'm still stuck with 28.8 dialup and crappy line quality if I want internet at a reasonable price and will probably always be. I can't watch videos or anything. But I've been able to learn a ton about fixing things. I've been able to source parts for projects that I never knew existed and could never (and still can't, I've asked) buy locally.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ;[QUOTE
18498593]A lot of Detroit stuff there, but Michigan nevertheless

Sonny Elliot, the greatest weatherman ever.

Al Kaline & George Kell broadcasting Tigers games on channel 4.

Eli Zaret.

Remember when the Red Wings were called the Dead Wings?
To be honest, the actual title was "Are you and old Detroiter, (or just old)"
I changed it to "Michigander'.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
I don't go that far back but to me the good ol days was the late 70s and all of the 80s.

When the railroads were still running. Little towns were booming and had factories, bank, grocery store, hardware store, barber.... everything you needed. Once the railroads went down, little towns went down with it and now all you really find in most little towns is a party store and a bar.

When my sister and I were little, our grandparents would fold down the back seat of the wagon and drive us around the back roads and go fishing. Since then I have always loved wagons and they always had wagons. But when I was 7 years old I really loved the 84 Plymouth Voyager. And what I loved even more was when I was 13 and the 90 Pontiac Trans Sport came out. I have one now in addition to the wagon. Back then the cars, cookie cutter as they may have been, looked better at least to me. These days it seems everything looks like a jellybean.

Back then I remember the milk in the plastic bag in the reusable orange plastic pitcher. But also back then I had a couple barium enemas which looked too much like that bag of milk and I never looked at it the same again. I do know of a family that used the powdered milk, they had 5 teenage boys and that was the only way they could afford milk. And there was no Walmart, everybody went to Glens. And they wheeled your groceries out and would load them for you.

Back then roads were in better shape and the snowplows would be keeping the roads clear several times a day. I used to ride my bike to school and at lunch I would be able to buy a 20oz bottle of Kick for 39 cents. I remember when a stamp was a quarter and you could put the money for it in a cup in the mailbox.

Back then it was a small black and white TV and a few fuzzy channels. The rich kids had color TV and cable, or the king of all, the c-band dish. I remember when scrambling started. There were no copiers or computers or VCRs. The school had a typewriter and a mimeograph and a movie projector. Nowadays I'm the one with the c-band dish, analog color TV with converter box that barely picks up any OTA channels, and VCR and occassionally used DVD player. I'm moving up in the world.

I remember when Charlevoix had no fast food, and when the first one, McDonalds, went up. Before that you had to drive to Petoskey or TC for any fast food so you almost never had it. Also back then, probably because your small town had everything, you didn't have to drive all over the place everyday to accomplish your needs like you do today. A trip to Petoskey was rare. A trip to Traverse City was a once a year thing, for school shopping. A trip to Grand Rapids was a big planned event and you maybe did that once every 5 years.

Back then the hospital seemed more like walking into an institution. Nowadays they've opened up the space and made it more green and friendly. The worst was the unemployment office, which my folks called the unenjoyment office. It was the sterotypical crabby workers with the glasses on the end of their nose, long waits, cramped quarters. Nowadays it's opened up, and the people are more friendly, and even with the tons of layoffs and job losses there's never really a wait. Probably because most people just do it online.

The internet has done a lot. I'm still stuck with 28.8 dialup and crappy line quality if I want internet at a reasonable price and will probably always be. I can't watch videos or anything. But I've been able to learn a ton about fixing things. I've been able to source parts for projects that I never knew existed and could never (and still can't, I've asked) buy locally.
"1959"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOEfC...yer_detailpage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan