Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Advertisements

Michigan Senate repeals helmet law, but makes the choice of not wearing one expensive | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Shouldn't it be up to the insurance companies as to how much medical coverage motorcycle riders should carry? What happened to cutting through all the regulatory BS Snyder?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
I hope there will be lesser penalties for crashing into one of these Darwin Award nominees, as there should be for hitting an unbelted motorist. Hitting a helmetless motorcyclist should not have to equal an instant manslaughter charge.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I hope there will be lesser penalties for crashing into one of these Darwin Award nominees, as there should be for hitting an unbelted motorist. Hitting a helmetless motorcyclist should not have to equal an instant manslaughter charge.
Does it now?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,327 times
How about this: you can ride without a helmet if you want to, but if you get into an accident, medical personnel will treat you as if you had signed a do-not-resuscitate order and checked the donate-any-organ box on your license. (I hear ER physicians already call motorcycles "donorcycles".)

Old 07-01-2011, 04:46 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
With insured helmetless riders out there who's to know which is which? What will the penalty be if stopped helmetless w/out the insurance.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:45 AM

105 posts, read 148,047 times
The law was passed way back when I was a pup because the claim of medical cost to keep bikers alive and support them when they were a basket of veggies. So today if you carry enough medical insurance do not mind getting pulled over by every cop with a bug in their azz I say go for it. But then I really think most are already brain dead with the dinky pots they call helmits on their heads any way.

Really Ohio and Wisconsin isn't that far awy if you don't want to wear protection.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:22 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
What I was trying to say was that if I hit one of these Darwin Award nominees (I have seen two of them today riding around in Macomb County btw) it's pretty much automatic death for the rider, which means hitting one with my "cage" goes from a civil infraction, should I cause what would have been a fender bender with another "cage," to a much more serious charge as the helmetless rider has a better than 50-50 shot at winning his Darwin Award if I were to hit him. (Short answer: The bumper sticker "Hit a biker, go to jail" offends me a bit, especially the way I see quite a few of them riding.)

Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
(Short answer: The bumper sticker "Hit a biker, go to jail" offends me a bit, especially the way I see quite a few of them riding.)
As someone who has ridden a bike from the time I could swing a leg over one, and have had my cycle endorsement from day one on my license 30+ years ago; I 100% agree with you. No helmet laws are stupid and frankly I think if you are on a bike, you need all the protection you can muster, including full leathers... even in the Summer. I don't give a rats ass if my head sweats a bit in a helmet (most of the new ones are quite nice for ventilation by the way) I HAVE slid across the pavement after getting hit by a car that was cornering in my lane, and without a helmet I wouldn't be here today. I shudder every time an Idiot passes me on a bike with no shirt, shorts, flip-flops, and a teeny-tiny half-helmet perched on top of their empty skull.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM

105 posts, read 148,047 times
Just because they are legal those tiny pots are not helmets. Helmits are to protect your head and the gray matter thats supposed to be inside it.
Those pots are just pots to curcumvent the law.

A few years ago the wife and I rode to Maine and back during the July 4th week when it was hot running into the 90's. We wear full face helmits (not simpson's but good ones) Neither of us found them unconfortable nor did we sweat in them. with the top air vents and the chin air vents open we had good air flow.

Even on our snomobiles we wear good full face helmits to protect our heads. Funny never heard a snomobiler complain about wearing a helmit either. And they don't wear those pot thingies either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: