Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM

528 posts, read 885,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
Man, you reeled me in with the title on this post.

I don't know your area very well. All of the fishing I've done in Michigan has been in the northeast. I grew up fishing on Black Lake, fishing off of the neighbors pontoon boat. Old Mr. Szabo taught me most of what I know about fishing. I wish you luck!

I'm also looking forward to doing quite a bit more fishing, after our move in July. I've grown to love bass fishing from a kayak, and I can't wait to try it out on the perch, walleye, and pike in Black and Ocqueoc Lakes. Maybe even some shoreline casting on Lake Huron...close to the Ocqueoc river mouth so that I can make tracks if the weather turns.

I'm also looking forward to trying my hand at fly fishing on the Ocqueoc. My uncle gifted me a few very nice fly rods, and I can't wait to try them out.
Perch! That's the one I couldn't remember! Perch makes me swoon with joy.

Maybe we need a CD MI board fishing trip/picnic.... Hrmmmmm.... my two brain cells are churning...

July eh? Not much longer Dave. Wishing you a painless move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
Oh, oh..haha for example here is a map of wolf lake in Lake county:
Wolf Lake, Lake County, Baldwin Michigan Fishing

okay that is all I clicked on "maps" then you pick a county then on the side choose a body of water!
Awesome! Thanks Mom (LOL, sorry, couldn't resist!).

Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am only familiar withthe spot right in front of my house where lots of fisherrmen congregate and catch things and where we catch nothing.

I think that there are some kind of fish most anywhere. In the huron river (mostly going thrgouh cities) My son hung a line off the back of a canoe and pretty soon there was some kind of pike on it. Many places we have been able to catch little fish like bluegill and croppy in fact, pretty much everywhere that we tried (except right in front of our house, where we catch nothing except a cold).
Ah, I so miss your posts when I'm away digging fence posts... Yours are far more entertaining than the wooden ones.

Maybe you need to be hunting two-legged fish predators out in front of your house so you can catch fish. Or just breathe on them. That might work too.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
Here are some of my suggestions:
Anything in and around Jackson county/irish hills area. There are so many lakes around this area, you just have to drive around and you will find a ton of choices. I would recommend Wolf Lake, Lime Lake, Vandercook. I would recommend Kent county and Calhoun. Yankee Springs Recreation Area is fabulous with several lakes in the area that are rarely crowded and are easy to get to. Good luck and happy fishing. Anyone have any suggestions for great fishing cabin rentals or state parks with great camping/fishing?
Awesome! Thanks!

Wish I had an answer for your question, but alas, I do not.... Someone here must tho.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I fish Hamlin Lake all summer, every summer. Still great fishing for a load of different species. The best spots you have to have a boat though. Very good bank fishing along the Pere Marquette River from Baldwin clear to the mouth in Ludington. Depending on the time of year and what is running you can get a very wide variety of fish. I was there this afternoon in fact and had a few Brown trout come to the shore carrying my lure .

For Lake County, my favorite lakes are Big Star Lake, Whalen Lake, Loon Lake (been years since I was on this lake though), Wolf Lake, and Little Star Lake. I don't know about public access on all of them though, most of those I have fished with someone who had a house or cabin on them. There are a ton of lakes in lake County, from decent sized ones (Big Star is the largest I think) to bunches of small ones. For river fishing you have the Pere Marquette River, the Baldwin river and also the Pine River. All have very decent fishing to great fishing. I believe the Little Manistee river starts in Lake County as well, which also has good fishing.

For Mason County just a bit further West, my #1 favorite lake is Hamlin, followed by Pere Marquette Lake, and Crystal (Hackert) Lake. All have a public boat ramp. You can rent a rowboat at the Ludington State park and fish along the western side of Hamlin Lake easily. There is very good panfishing there with the ability to take some rather decent Northern Pike. For walking the river side and getting a lure wet, my favorite river in the World is the Pere Marquette between Walhalla and Custer.
LOL, Bydand, I don't think I've had a question about this area yet you (or Al) couldn't answer brilliantly. Bless you.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
I have a buddy...and know many others, who love to go to the Hardy Dam area. Its a great spot for Walleye...bass....pike and lots of others. Plus.... its very beautiful!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM

485 posts, read 966,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I fish Hamlin Lake all summer, every summer. Still great fishing for a load of different species. The best spots you have to have a boat though. Very good bank fishing along the Pere Marquette River from Baldwin clear to the mouth in Ludington. Depending on the time of year and what is running you can get a very wide variety of fish. I was there this afternoon in fact and had a few Brown trout come to the shore carrying my lure .

For Lake County, my favorite lakes are Big Star Lake, Whalen Lake, Loon Lake (been years since I was on this lake though), Wolf Lake, and Little Star Lake. I don't know about public access on all of them though, most of those I have fished with someone who had a house or cabin on them. There are a ton of lakes in lake County, from decent sized ones (Big Star is the largest I think) to bunches of small ones. For river fishing you have the Pere Marquette River, the Baldwin river and also the Pine River. All have very decent fishing to great fishing. I believe the Little Manistee river starts in Lake County as well, which also has good fishing.

For Mason County just a bit further West, my #1 favorite lake is Hamlin, followed by Pere Marquette Lake, and Crystal (Hackert) Lake. All have a public boat ramp. You can rent a rowboat at the Ludington State park and fish along the western side of Hamlin Lake easily. There is very good panfishing there with the ability to take some rather decent Northern Pike. For walking the river side and getting a lure wet, my favorite river in the World is the Pere Marquette between Walhalla and Custer.
Yes, rented a rowboat @ Ludington SP once and that worked out quite well. Might have to aim for that at some point this year since I don't have my own boat. That state park is simply the best with so many options: a river, Hamlin Lake, Lake Mich., dunes, trails. Just renewed my license plates with the state park fee attached.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM

76 posts, read 122,086 times
I prefer the tasty Walleye, and usually fish for those on the many lakes in the western U.P. There are a few inland lakes that I can catch my limit from 8 pm to sundown in late June. Good fighting fish that grill up excellent. No need to travel to Canada if you know where and when to fish for them.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
I prefer the tasty Walleye, and usually fish for those on the many lakes in the western U.P. There are a few inland lakes that I can catch my limit from 8 pm to sundown in late June. Good fighting fish that grill up excellent. No need to travel to Canada if you know where and when to fish for them.

Walleye, yes, that is what everyone but me catches in front of our house. Walleye and Perch. I have heard that the Trenton Channel is one of the best walleye fishing spots in the US (unless of course you are a member of my family, then you will catch nothing there ever.).

Do they have people that do fishnig lessons?

I went fishing in Lake St. Clair and we "caught" some big muskelunge, but I did nto catch them, the boat did. I just turned the fishing reel after the boat caught the fish.

Somehow riding aruond on a boat and drikning beer while waiting for the boat to catch a fish just does nto meet my conept of "fishing"

Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM

275 posts, read 441,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
July eh? Not much longer Dave. Wishing you a painless move.
Wishing won't make it so, but thanks for the thought!

We're heading up this weekend. We're hauling our camper up there to leave it, as there's just too much going on between now and the move to do any more camping. We're going to fill it up with "stuff" that we won't need in Ohio. We're taking loads up every time we go, so that we won't have so much to move in July

We did get one camping trip in. We went to Disney last week to watch our son march with his high school band. We stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground. Had a BLAST! Too many people, and too much heat for me though. I'd still rather be fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan