Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 55,430 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to the Ecorse MI area. I am looking to rent and want to spend around $800/month. I would like to live in a safe area, near shops etc. I will be working in Ecorse so I don't want to be more than 10-20 minutes away. I have seen some things online that say Allan Park may be a good area. Also Dearborn. If you know of good apartments and good areas please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Wyandotte unless you need schools, then Trenton.

If you get lucky, you might find an apt or condo on grosse Ile for $800 month, but you would probably end up taking the toldl bridge which adds $3 per day, but you cn always go the long way to the free bridge.

After those options, look at Woodhaven, Southgate and Riverview. Then maybe Allen Park and Taylor.

If you have a burning desire to be as close to Detroit as possible, then Allen Park, Lincoln Park or even downtown would by your first places to look.

Overall, you best bet is going to be Wyandotte. Really close to work, reasonably nice, lively, good housing options, acceptable crime rate, ots of amenities and decent access.

UINless you have some compelling reason, Melvindale, River Rouge or Ecorse are probably not your best choices. It might be a bit cheaper, but they are nto the best places to live. Lincoln Park is pretty rough in many parts as well. Allen park is nto bad, but no where near as nice as nearby communities and it is plagued a bit by its proximity to yucky parts of Detroit and other iffy suburbs (like the ones mentioned above).

Dearborn is not a bad option, but access is not so good and if youare not from the middle east, you will have to chose the area where you live carefully, or you will not feel very comofrtable.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Default Question

In Dearborn, are middle eastren people hostle toward white people? When you say acceptable crime rate what does this mean?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
hostile? like mean? Pretty sure all that they say in Arabic isn't always flattering?
Acceptable crime is probably less than 30% chance of being a victim?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Please provide any additionalinformation you can.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Acceptable meaning that it is not one of those places that people who actually know the city would say "Oh do not live there, it is dangerous" It is not a place that people leave their doors and Windows open and they keys in the ignition. It is not a place with bars on the windows. It is in between. More of a typical middle class suburb that is near a big city.

The Trenton side of Wyandotte is nicer and conceptually safer. The Ecorse side is rougher and has some not so nice neighborhoods once you go inland from Jefferson. It is nice all along Jefferson and along the waterfront i Wyandotte, but I would feel more comfortable being on the Trenton side of the Henry Ford Hospital. I do not know that it is any safer, but I would feel better having some other places between me and Ecorse.

No place has zero crime rate, so, in my parlance you have very low, acceptable and unacceptable. Very low is palace where speeding tickets make the newspaper. Acceptable being a place that I would not be afraid to move my family, and I would not feel the need to take unusual security measures. Unacceptable is a place that my kids cannot play in the front yard, or where I would want to do a walk around the outside of my house each night before entering it. Or where I would want a ten foot fence with a locked gate around my entire property.

Personally, I would not be uncomfortable from a safety perspective moving to Wyandotte. However, I would certainly be more cautious than I would feel necessary in Grosse Ile, or even Trenton for that matter. Allen Park I would have a little bit of a concern, but it would not keep me from moving there if I found a place that I otherwise liked. I certianly would not call it bad, but I get nervous being alone dowotnown at 2 a.m. I certinaly would not think twice about living in Allen Park if I liked the place and the nieghborhood, but I would make good locks, alarm, and exercise caution while walking on some of the streets late a night. Much of Lincoln Park would worry me, but there are parts that I would like to live in. Melvindale, Ecorse, River Rouge, I would need to have some super compelling reason to move there. There are some neighborhoods of Detroit that I would be less worried about moving.

If safety is your biggest concern and you want to live where you feel very safe, rather than reasonably safe, then you should look for something in Grosse Ile. There is some crime in Grosse ILe, but it is rare. It is often listed as one of Michigan's safest cities. However be aware that with that level of safety comes a lot of tickets, no raucous parties, it is a quiet place and the olice have time to keep it that way. It will be hard to find something you can afford in GI, but it is very pretty, very quiet and very safe.

If you do not mind more of an urban type of location, then Wyandotte is a fun place, has a younger population, is less expesnive and is closer to Ecorse, so it would be better for you. The schools are not very good, but you do not care about that. If you prefer smaller towns, then look at Trenton. If you want just basic clean suburban middle class living, lots of subdivisions, strip malls and big box stores then Woodhaven, Southgate, Riverview and inland Trenton.

If you want cheaper places, Allen Park, Taylor (some places in taylor need ot be avoided), and maybe Lincoln Park. If price is your only issue and safety, noise cleanness are not important then oyu might go with Ecorse, Melvindale, or River Rouge.

Dearborn has a little bit of almost everything depending on which part you are in. I have not heard to overt hostility toward non middle easterner in middle eastern areas, but you might be made to feel uncomfortable. People may not talk to you, or they may be unfriendly. They are not likely to throw bricks through your window or key your car or anything like that, at least not that I have every heard of. All I have been told by people who lived in those areas is that you may just feel unwelcome.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,275 times
There is a drug house in the making at the corner of high and broadway.
It is the green house with boarded up windows

Old 09-30-2011, 08:23 AM

48 posts, read 162,947 times
whoops just realized its an old post nevermind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan