Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,803 times

Advertisements

From Detroit but now living in Nashville, I wanna move back to Michigan but dont wanna go back to the big city. Need to know more about Woodhaven, such as how diverse it is, is there as much crime as detroit. I looked @ the stats but would like to know 1st hand from the people that have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,797 times
Default Woodhaven

I would live in Woodhaven anyday over Detroit. Woodhaven is not really diverse unless that is what you are looking for then you may like Detroit. The housing is fairly reasonable compared to other cities which are not as safe. If you are choosing downriver there are some other options which are also great such as Wyandotte, Trenton, and Grosse Ile(if you can afford it). Carleton or Ash twp are decent as well if you like living in the coutry with acreage. Carleton is 8 miles south of WH. There are no real high paying jobs in this area, you will have to travel to Oakland county to find work.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
I was born and raised in Wayne County. Also, lived in Nashville for 5 years.
My wife's Dad used to manage a bowling alley in Woodhaven. Also, there used to be a big car plant there (not big three), and I have a friend who pastors a big FW Baptist Church there.
He is a full blooded Lumbe Indian. You feel like you're in Kentucky when you go in there.
Anyway, my general impressions were good. However, I prefer Western Wayne Co. to down river. Just my own bias.
If I moved back to MI, I think I would end up in Plymouth or Livonia maybe. My oldest sister moved from Wayne/Westland to Farmington Hills about 4 years ago (their son in law is a lawyer whose firm is up there). They love it, but is definitely higher than down river or Western Wayne Co. in most places.
So, how do you like the Southern Hospitality (or hostility)?
PM if you like.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,794 times
woodhaven is nice. so are surrounding cities. crime everywhere you go but woodhaven cant be compared to detroit. woodhaven is small. nicer houses, good schools, and youll have to drive a bit to have the nicer jobs.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,855 times
We liked Woodhaven, overall. Woodhaven, itself, is safe and friendly. Our car was stolen and later found stripped to the bone in Detroit...go figure. Woodhaven is family oriented with affordable housing and good schools, but you do have to drive north for the better jobs and varied entertainment as well as mall shopping.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
I worked in the Woodhaven school system for many years, the schools are good. There is no real downdown, but there is shopping, although you will have to drive to it: Woodhaven is not walker-friendly: areas around the highways do not have sidewalks. It is a family-oriented community, housing is not unreasonable, quite a bit of new building going on.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM

313 posts, read 1,194,826 times
Woodhaven is nice. So is Brownstown. Ok schools. Decent houses for a steal right now. Great houses for WAY LESS than a steal. Nice people. Not much diversity-- as is the case with a lot of Downriver. Depends on what you like for shopping--- there are 3 targets, 3 Kohl's, Meijer and the like are all close. You want a great mall? go to Novi or Toledo. Southland is a joke.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We live in grosse Ile and do much of our shopping in Woodhaven. Woodhaven is a very typical suburb. Stores along a few busy streets, subdivisions tucked away here and there. No real downtown.

Woodhaven is a bit difficult to find. You can pass through it without ever realizing that you were in it. There is nothing really demarcating where it starts and where it ends. It kinf of blens into trenton to the east. trenton is more of a small town and has a cute, but rather empty downtown. To the north, Woodhaven kind of merges into Wyandotte or maybe Riverview. The the West it also simply merges into a simlar town (possibly southgate). The primary difference that you will get living on one side or the other of a city line is different schools and maybe some difference in taxes. The entire area is a decent suburban area. It is solidly middle class. It is reasonably close to Detroit and to DTW.

In the immediate area, Wyandotte is more lively and has a pleasant downtown. Trenton is more identifyable and also has a tiny downtown that is nice if a bit empty. Grosse Ile is beautiful but considerably more expensive than Woodhaven. I do not know a lot about Southgate. It seems pretty much the same as Woodhaven.

You do nto find much diversity in Detroit suburbs. Except for a few places, everything is pretty segregated.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM

92 posts, read 366,995 times
I live right near Woodhaven and do all my shopping there. It is a very safe area, not very diverse population though. Mostly middle class white people. Some AA and some foreign nationals. I hear the schools are very good, and you have a fantastic local Fruit Market near by. The Trent-wood Market. Also Targets, Wallmart, Meijers, Home Depot etc are all right there. When I first moved here I could not get a Latti any where, now I can get one pretty much any where. Downriver is pretty cool. Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan