Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

Might be making a day trip to check out the Au Sable River area for the first time. If I'm starting the Tawas area, what is the best way to get to the scenic overlooks/hiking trails? Should I go up to Oscoda and take the River Road? Or is there a more direct way? I know I won't have nearly enough time to see the place, but are there any suggestions for must-see spots along the river? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Yes....head toward Oscoda and hit River Rd.... this is the best route. You can make many stops along the way to check out scenic overlooks. River Road Scenic Byway - Map
Also there are lots of dams, and some overlook stops have trails...like the Lumbermans monument...which is my favorite. Here, there is a cool visitor center with some awesome things to check out. There is also a trail going to an amazing overlook of the river and dunes. Stop at the "Rollaways" picnic area too. They have a nice trail there, along with fantastic views and a great picnic area. The River Rd. scenic Byway is one of my favorite places to drive in Michigan, and that whole area is stunningly beautiful. If you see somewhere to stop....do it! Each area is different, and each has an amazing view of the Au-Sable. Have fun!

Last edited by michmoldman; 05-17-2011 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Yes....head toward Oscoda and hit River Rd.... this is the best route. You can make many stops along the way to check out scenic overlooks. River Road Scenic Byway - Map
Also there are lots of dams, and some overlook stops have trails...like the Lumbermans monument...which is my favorite. Here, there is a cool visitor center with some awesome things to check out. There is also a trail going to an amazing overlook of the river and dunes. Stop at the "Rollaways" picnic area too. They have a nice trail there, along with fantastic views and a great picnic area. The River Rd. scenic Byway is one of my favorite places to drive in Michigan, and that whole area is stunningly beautiful. If you see somewhere to stop....do it! Each area is different, and each has an amazing view of the Au-Sable. Have fun!
Thanks a lot, this is just the type of help I was looking for!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Thanks a lot, this is just the type of help I was looking for!
Your welcome! This area has tons of beauty...maybe one of the most overlooked areas in Michigan....so do not forget your camera! Will be looking for pictures on the Michigan picture thread after your trip!!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Michmoldman has good advice for you. River road between Oscoda and M-65 is where the best overlooks are. I believe the lumbermans monument stop has a hiking trail that goes down to the river where you can see large springs coming out of the hillside. Its a neat sight, but there is a steep hike down there. If you are in shape for it then its well worth it. Also along the river there is a boat ride you can take, I believe its docks are closer to Oscoda. I love that part of the state, its generally overlooked by those who hype other parts of the state. Northeast michigan is beautiful, quiet and peacefull. You should enjoy the trip.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM

Yes....danielj72 is right...take the hikes down to the riverside if possible. Also, at Rollaways...there is a long flight of stairs going down to the bottom which is a lot of fun. I believe other stops have stairs also, but this is one of my favorites. We used to take our bikes here and just ride all around the area, and I believe there is (or was) a pretty long trail going along the river for a few miles or more. Also....just north of Rollaways...about a mile, there is a bridge we used to stop at and walk down to a little Au-Sable river feeder creek. Its all sand and very clear, and on a hot day a lot of fun take your shoes and socks off and walk down it a ways. You say your starting in Tawas...is this your first time here also? There are some very cool things to see and do here also.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
I have an affinity for the Au Sable as I grew up on it in Mio. Even hauled canoes a couple summers. Great river but I never really explored downriver much in the regions you are discussing. Will have to make the journey up there again and discover those portions.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
You say your starting in Tawas...is this your first time here also? There are some very cool things to see and do here also.
I drove through Tawas once, but it will be my first time spending any time there. I know I would like to check out the lighthouse and the state park. Anything else I should see?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I drove through Tawas once, but it will be my first time spending any time there. I know I would like to check out the lighthouse and the state park. Anything else I should see?
Yes....you have to see the State Park and Lighthouse. We just love to walk around downtown and walk onto the docks. Also while your there go to Marions Dairy bar...best ice cream around!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
When I asked aroudn the office about canoeing on the Au Sable, two different people said that they had problems with motorcycle gangs or other unsavory types haging out along the river (apparently in canoes, but that was not clear), partying, having sex in plain view, etc. Is that a comon concern or just coincidence that they each had similar problems at different times. Is there a part of the river that is less frequented by weekend hordes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan