U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM

2,595 posts, read 1,969,140 times

Advertisements

I attended Central Michigan University, which is only 30 minutes from Midland, we went there quite a bit. I will agree that Midland is a bit bland, but I've always liked the tri-cities area. Lots to offer people in terms of things to do, not far from anything. As a cyclist, I love biking around the farmland in that area, roads were never too horrible. If you like being outdoors I think Midland has a lot of potential because its not far from anything. Consider living in Freeland or Bay City too.

I know both the high schools in Midland had lots to offer the kids who attended there. However the recession may have changed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
I moved to Midland from Avon, Ct. 28 years ago and don't regret it a bit. It is a cosmopolitan town with people from all over the world. It has a degree of safety unlike most cities where your wife and kids can walk or jog anywhere at any time and be safe. We have an outstanding school system with a disprportionate number of National Merit Scholarship winners here. Dow and Dow Corning are very supportive of the community and we have many active and generous citizens who care about the less fortunate and actively practice their religions. Most important, children of wealthy people will go to school with, worship with and play sports with both moderate and low income kids and each will benefit by knowing and appreciating each other. Raising your family here will be the best thing you could ever do to gain an American experience with a true melting pot. We have no ghetto, and no other side of the tracks. Outside of good natured rivalry among our high schools this is a pretty clean, low crime city. Yes we are pretty conservative and if you plan on coming to create problems. Your neighbors will cooperate fully with the police. They are our friends and neighbors as well. We are not a snooty suburb with all one type of people. If these things meet your approval you will like it here, otherwise,go to
Grand Blanc and commute.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM

12,930 posts, read 19,537,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1568 View Post
We were also not impressed with the downtown area. We were expecting something like the downtown areas of Oxford, Clarkston or Holly: restaurants and shops. Well, there were 2 restaurants (1 bar and 1 upscale place in the hotel) and a take-out pizza place and a take-out deli. We didn't see much in terms of shops that one would actually want to go into and look around.
Bay City is close...I always liked their downtown more than Midland's.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 AM

362 posts, read 355,431 times
"Well, there were 2 restaurants (1 bar and 1 upscale place in the hotel) and a take-out pizza place and a take-out deli."

The brother in law just doesn't want them so close to him. If you have ever been to Midland you know that the above quote is pure B/S.
On East Man road alone you have all the fast food joints, Logans, Bob Evans, Damons, and a couple of private named resturants. Then there is a Texan and a China buff. In a strip mall near there. Turn left off East Man road to Old US 10 and there is a Pizza hut the new style that serves booze, a couple more private names resturants and a Big Boy and some more of the normal fast food joints.

To even think that the likes of Lake Orion, Oxford and Holly has more to offer than Midland is Luidicrist.

Al

Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM

362 posts, read 355,431 times
All Midland food by cuisine type .

American (31)
Japanese (3)
Mexican (7)
Italian (4)
Miscellaneous (9)

some reviews of places .

Shirlene's Cuisine

[SIZE=4]1720 W Wackerly St, Midland, MI[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Restaurant review by anonymous [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Hostess is Superb Just a Great Family restaurant. Try the Salad Bar and don't forget the CHEESECAKE

Villa D'Alessandro's

[SIZE=4]801 E Wackerly St, Midland, MI[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Restaurant review by anonymous [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Loved this place First time at this restaurant. We go all over and try different restaurants in the central Michigan area. I loved this place. We had the seafood pasta and it was great. A lot to eat.

So as you can see from the web site I search on Midland restuants their are more than TWO.
More than Lake Orion , Oxford and Holly combined .

http://www.restaurantdb.net/MI-Midland-restaurants.html

Al

Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,026,874 times
The farther north you go, especially center or east, the more rural, the lower the income, the less bright and shiny things are (not knocking it just saying compared to further south and bigger cities). Midland I think has a northern Michiganander reputation for being a well-off place....but that's them comparing to other small northern rural areas. Because it has DOW and for blue collar folks working at gas stations and piecemeal construction, no benefits etc. working at DOW looks pretty damn good and Midland pretty big. A friend from a tiny town south of Mt. Pleasant said people used to call it sparkle city. Compared to wealthy communities closer to Detroit not so much. Compared to DC not at all. Your perceptions and expectations have shifted because of where you've been living. I think you risk being unhappy. Its not close enough to were you were and you'll always be second guessing your decision, especially if your kids hate it. I think you have to weigh those relationships in Lake Orion, how strong are they still? How often have you been back and how much time have you spent? Also didn't say how old your kids are, old enough to have an opinion?

I don't need to know your economic situation but if you bought a house in DC when the prices where coming down, DC is one of those areas that will eventually go up. One of the few places where you can actually think of real estate as an investment. So if you want to fund college, retirement etc. with equity in a house that you can sell and move to a cheaper location in retirement there is that to consider too. Real estate in Michigan is more of a push if your lucky. You buy a house because you want to live in that particular house and pray you can sell for a little more years down the road.

Last edited by Giesela; 06-13-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan