Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,920 times

Advertisements

We normally do florida beaches but wanted to stay closer to home. SW MI we have been told is beautiful. I have done some research but really need some people opinions. I have been looking at St. Joseph, South Haven I believe and also a friend recommeded Warren Dunes. We have 4 children ranging from 4-12 and we LOVE beaches. Also, we typically stay in hotels but are open to rentals. Which of these would be the most family friendly?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
We've rented small homes in South Haven twice and really like it. In recent years, we've switched between the gulf (Orange Beach, Destin) and southwestern Michigan.

South Haven is a nice, quaint little town. We've always rented in walking distance from one of their public beaches. The old downtown has some neat shops and plenty of places to eat for different budgets.

The beaches are nice, but not as nice, in my opinion, as the gulf. And the water temp can be a shocker, but all in all, we love both places. On the plus side, the weather is usually very nice with a nice breeze off of the lake and lower humidity than what we are used to. You also don't have the kind of chintzy strip stuff you find in the Gulf.

We usually find places to rent through the VRBO website.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM

447 posts, read 1,245,482 times
Check out the Holland and Grand Haven areas too. Both state park beaches are rated tops in the state.

Also, waiting until late July or even August would be advised if swimming is on the agenda. the watwr temp might get up to 75 degress on a good day with a steady wind from the west, but a few hours of an east wind can cool it by 15 degrees really quickly.

Maybe a rental house or motel with a pool would be a good back up plan! :-)

Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,523 times
I live within 30 minutes of St. Joseph and often spend an afternoon there. The beach is awesome and the city recently built a water fountain for kids to play in as well as a refurbished carousel complete with organ and hand carved animals. There is also the Curious Kids museum in downtown as well as the Krasal art center.

My vote would be St. Joseph.

Enjoy!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 PM

235 posts, read 536,310 times
I think South Haven and St. Joe would both be equally family friendly, but as the previous poster mentions, St. Joseph does have those kid friendly things to do right near the beach.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM

82 posts, read 167,509 times
Im originally from Chicago but have also called South Haven my home as my parents bought a home there in the 1950's. I have traveled the Lake Michigan coast from the state line at Indiana up to the
U.P. In my opinion for a great beach vacation check out Warren Dunes and New Buffalo beach. This
is just the beginning.

Michigan has so many wonderful beaches on Lake Michigan and even Lake Huron. But Lake Michigan
beaches has more appeal and are backed by some of the highest coastal dunes on earth.

During the summer months nearly every town on the lake and state parks are filled with beach goer's
who enjoy the sand, surf and wonderful sunsets. In addition to New buffalo ,check out Silver beach
in St.Joseph. North of there are Jean Klock park beach in Benton Harbor , Covert beach and Van Buren state park in Van buren county have wonderful campgrounds and high dunes. Then there is South Haven , Saugatuck, Grand Haven with it's boardwalk. Muskegon has a wonderful beach with
Nordhouse dunes nearby. The biggest beaches and dunes are Sleeping bear Dunes, Silver Lake and conclude your Michigan beach vacation at Traverse City one of America's top resort towns.

Michigan over all probably is in the top five states with the best beaches. The others would probably
be California, Florida, Hawaii, Oregon or South Carolina.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,920 times
Thank you all so much for you information. I have heard from others too that this entire area you really cannot go wrong. I think right now we are leaning towards St. Joseph since there is some kid friendly things right on the beach. I cannot wait! Again, thank you!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 PM

186 posts, read 570,159 times
I'd suggest going further north than St Joseph. We first did St Joe in 2008 and was more than pleasantly surprised at what an incredible beach and water. Then in 2010 we did Saugatuck, Silver Lake State Park (lighthouse right on the beach, which you can go up and take some great photos). Our favorite beach so far has been PJ Hoffmaster State Park. It's just incredible and the water temps in late July are perfect.

This year we're going up to Traverse City and seeing Sleeping Bear Dunes. I'm sooooo excited!!! I'm from out west so this Midwest beach thing just amazes me. We were going to go the beaches in New England this summer but we just kept saying to ourselves how great Lake Michigan is. Plus it's only a tank of gas away.

Last edited by tscrilla; 07-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,227 times
Just got back from a week in the St Joseph area. Had a great time. It wasn't quite as nice as Traverse City (which we had been to in the past) but it was 4 hours less drive time each way which essentially gave us an extra day of actual vacation time. Silver Beach is highly manicured and nearly as nice as any ocean beach I've been too including Florida, Cancun, Puerto Rico, and California. The natural beach where we stayed was nice too, but did have a 6-10 foot band of small rocks just past the waterline which could be uncomfortable as we went in and out the water barefoot. The water felt a little cool to us adults but the kids never complained. As others have mentioned there are some kids-related attraction in St Joseph. We did the two kids museums, the fountain, had ice cream downtown at Kilwins, and found some cool toys at the toy shop. We spent a day fishing at the pier too. The adults fished the lake-side for steelheads but struck out. The kids fished the river side and were dragging in big catfish, buffalo fish, and some small bass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan