U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,249,124 times
Default When does it get cold?

I'm just wondering when I can expect to start feeling the cold that everyone here has warned me about, lol!

Typically, in SE Michigan, when does the summer end and the cooler weather begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM

736 posts, read 1,682,040 times
Late September it starts cooling off quite a bit.

Mid-October it gets cold once the sun is down.

By Thanksgiving its in the 30's pretty consistently.

It's all relative though. What's cold to you might be fine for me. I usually don't need a heavy coat till Jan-Feb. But some people think I'm nuts.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM

178 posts, read 496,476 times
Around Grand Rapids level (I know, not SE), things get so-so in late September and then chilly by mid-to-late October. By November, you can expect lots of snow, unless there's a freaky winter.

Snow and cold doesn't really leave Michigan until late, late March - sometimes even extending into the second half of April.

Really, you have FOUR GOOD MONTHS: Mid-May to Mid-September. That's it.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,240,597 times
Last Oct it was snowing the second week...but that was fairly unusual. This was in Monroe. It usually got that cold in Nov. Liz

Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 127,776 times
I live in Royal Oak, just outside of Detroit to the northwest. I've only been through 1 fall/winter so far but last year it seemed to be pretty nice through most of September and October (except for that freak snowfall in October, which actually broke records for earliest measured snowfall.) By November it is definately starting to get cold. So basically don't count on it getting considerably cold until October, and then usually only at night, and still pales in comparison to January!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 PM

271 posts, read 627,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post

Really, you have FOUR GOOD MONTHS: Mid-May to Mid-September. That's it.

"SIBERIA" seconds this statement!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM

7,159 posts, read 10,687,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
"SIBERIA" seconds this statement!
No way. Mid September through early November can be beautiful. It's actually my wife's favorite time of year. I've had about enough of this heat and humidity myself. I can't even mow my lawn during the day, I have to wait until 9:00 at night!! (sorry, not getting up at 5 AM)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 949 times
Thats the million dollar question.
I have hunted [nov.15] and had it 10 below zero. I have also hunted in my ****sleavs in 64 degree temps.
I have seen it snow in the last half of august, and seen it snow in the first part of october and never leave till april.
There is a reason that they say in michigan if you dont like the weather wait 10 min.
September it usualy cools off, and you will see days not go over 60, on avrage, in october it is a transitional month and you never know.
The way things have been in the latest years [due to global warming?] the weather has been warmer, I have seen many dec. 25s with no snow on the ground.
Last winter was a light snow winter.
I only had to plow out 6 times.
I can tell you that next april 20th I can tell you exactly what this winter will be like.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 127,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No way. Mid September through early November can be beautiful. It's actually my wife's favorite time of year. I've had about enough of this heat and humidity myself. I can't even mow my lawn during the day, I have to wait until 9:00 at night!! (sorry, not getting up at 5 AM)
Being from California, we actually love the fall, since it's a new concept to us. And most of the winter for that matter--although I do see why everyone dislikes March and the 1st half of April so much. Ick.

But I am personally DONE with the heat and humidity too. I just keep thanking God that it's so short lived here...I've lived in southern Texas before--take our worst Michigan summer day, then push the actual digits past 100, and then go ahead and make the humidity a constant 99-100%. Then count on that for about 4-5 months. No thanks.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 08-09-2007 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM

271 posts, read 627,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichitafalls View Post
There is a reason that they say in michigan if you dont like the weather wait 10 min.
That is why nobody can agree on the weather. This past Easter had 6-8 inches of snowfall, this coming Easter may be 75degrees...

Also inland varies greatly from lakeside. Spring lasts much longer lakeside, and fall comes much later (temperature wise) due to the water temperature effects off Lake Michigan.

You can count on 4 amazing summer months, but that also varies by what you are used to. Those who only know Michigan weather think summer is longer, those who have lived further south often think otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan