U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 AM

957 posts, read 3,082,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Baby View Post
Hi Michiganers - Is there such a term? I am looking to relocate from Chicago to a city within 200 miles of Chicago. Not too big and not too small. Preferably some racial diversity, low crime, lots of outdoor activities, and good schools. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Why Michigan? Or are you looking at options in Wis. Indiana and other parts of Ill.
I'm originally from Mi., so think it is a good choice, but just curious.
Benton Harbor or St. Joseph's is lovely, but not sure what's there in the way of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,605,328 times
My parents are finally getting tired of metro Detroit. They have a vacation home in the UP. They are thinking about moving over to the west side of the state, on the shoreline west of Grand Rapids and north of Holland.

Racial diversity? Try south of Chicago, not northeast.
There's not a lot of lakes here in mid-Illinois, but there is a lot of corn!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 21,577 times
I would have to add another nod for Kalamazoo, it sounds just right for what you're looking for. There are two colleges, a number of museums, libraries, breweries, concert venues, etc. Plus, if you have kids, The Kalamazoo Promise will be giving full college scholarships to KPS students.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:28 PM

4,424 posts, read 4,915,859 times
How can anyone not mention Muskegon?

Or Marshall?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,526 times
Smile Here's an area..

Look at the areas of :
Southeast Inkster Michigan
North Inkster areas
Dearborn Heights
Dearborn

Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Baby View Post
Hi Michiganers - Is there such a term? I am looking to relocate from Chicago to a city within 200 miles of Chicago. Not too big and not too small. Preferably some racial diversity, low crime, lots of outdoor activities, and good schools. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Marka; 11-08-2006 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,561 times
Default Cities w/in 200 miles of Chicago---Niles MI

Located 90 miles east of Chicago, a wonderful diverse, breautiful city- Niles MI. check us out at our NIles Main Street site: www.nilesmainstreet.org our City site: www.ci.niles.mi.us, and our Chamber of Commerce site: nilesmi.org

If you have questions, don't hesitate to call: Lisa Croteau, program manager for Niles Main Street 269-687-4332.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 AM

7,179 posts, read 10,773,604 times
I would say Grand Rapids would meet your needs. And, to get to Chicago very easily from here, you can drive to Michigan City and park at the South Shore Line's Carroll Avenue Station and ride the commuter train into Chicago. It's cheap (like $5 or $6), clean, congestion-free, parking is free, you can even leave your car for the weekend at the station, and it drops you right at Millennium Park Station downtown Chicago.

nictd.com

Old 02-07-2007, 03:25 PM

7,274 posts, read 2,331,798 times
I lived for a brief time in a little town called Bridgman. It is only about an hour and a half from Chicago. It is a lovely town right on Lake Michigan and there are two beaches on the lake that have nearly 3 miles of Lake Michigan Shoreline.

New Buffalo further to the south is very trendy and toursity and farther to the north and just under a 2 hour drive from Chicago is the Stevensville/Benton Harbor/St Joseph area...that has shops nice areas and some poor areas...but it has more diversity than most of south west Michigan.

I'd check out Bridgman though, my first year I wasn't extremely fond of it, but I really miss the town now and especially the lake. Weko Beach in Bridgman has a beach house where you can get refreshments and watch the waves...in addition to festivals and rentals there as well throughout the year. Bridgman also has vineyards and a decent school district.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,605,328 times
If you need jobs, they are in Grand Rapids. Otherwise, the lakeshore has plenty of nice towns. The real estate is expensive along the shore until you get up to Muskegon-ish.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 120,929 times
I relocated to Mattawan, just west of Kalamazoo from Chicago 18 years ago and NEVER regretted it. The Kalamazoo area is a great area and continues to do well even in a rough economy. It takes me exactly 2 hours to get to downtown Chicago from Mattawan, it's about 140 miles.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan