U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 AM

21,093 posts, read 25,713,820 times

Advertisements

We currently drive 10 miles for groceries and a gas station, and 20+ miles for most other retailers. Marshall is very nice--probably more than what we want for just the summer months. The place will be empty from mid-September through May. The wife LOVES Paw Paw, but the costs might be more than a summer home would be worth to us. We are hoping less than $125K will get either a house and land or land and add the modular in 2-5 years. We haven't looked at vacant land prices, but we believe that $20K should get an acre or two outside most touristy cities?
Understanding the closer we get to Lake Michigan, the more we pay--typically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,228,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Recreation isn't much of a factor. We want a place we can stay a few months in the summer (June--early September). We would like to be "near" a train station to do weekend trips to Chicago and have the grandkids ride out from metro Detroit area. Preferably 20-30 minute drive?
You mean 30 minutes to an Amtrak station from your home? 30 minutes from west Detroit MAY get you to US-23.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 AM

Within 30 minutes of our home in southwest Michigan. The kids are in the Garden City area and would catch the Amtrak out of Dearborn. The closer to an Amtrak we are in the SW the easier the drive. We just don't want a place north of Grand Rapids and have a 60 minute drive to a station..
Have you been around the Grand Junction area? Around Saddle Lake? We have also beem looking at a few acres just east of Bangor.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Yes I have been through those towns as well as the public boat launch at Saddle Lake. It's very rural except for those towns.
Bangor has the basic amenities (food & gas at least), and is on M-43 between South Haven and Kalamazoo. I guess it is an Amtrak stop, which is convenient. Grand Junction and Bloomingdale are smaller. Van Buren County is quite rural overall - pretty nondescript. Since I know very little about the real estate, not much else I can say about it. Red Arrow highway has the larger town of Paw Paw.
Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic
I see if you zoom in on Bangor it shows the Amtrak station.
The faint diagonal WNW to ESE through Grand Junction is a hike/bike recreational trail which extends from South Haven to Kalamazoo.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM

5,990 posts, read 12,216,798 times
I've lived in Niles, Three Rivers and Kalamazoo, and I've been to pretty much every town in SW Michigan. It is an amazing place. You can't really go wrong with Niles or Three Rivers, but I'd have to suggest 3R, because it's more rural, has more lakes and is further away from the larger cities of South Bend and Kalamazoo. The last time I was in town (June 2011), there were plenty of homes for sale near Fishers Lake north of Three Rivers. You can get real estate there for cheap (because there are no jobs!). You'd have to drive 20 minutes to Kalamazoo to get to an Amtrak station. Dowagiac is another good SW Michigan small town that's right on the Amtrak line. You can also look into Jones, Mendon, Colon, Constantine and Cassopolis.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM

358 posts, read 960,601 times
Be aware that the Bangor Amtrak station connects to Grand Rapids and Chicago, not Detroit. You would want to go to Kalamazoo for a trip to Detroit.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Be aware that the Bangor Amtrak station connects to Grand Rapids and Chicago, not Detroit. You would want to go to Kalamazoo for a trip to Detroit.
Good point, I missed that one.
Seems the only stations on the Detroit route are New Buffalo, Niles, Dowagiac, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Albion, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Dearborn.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:49 PM

It does sound like it is better to look at real towns along or near the Detroit Amtrak line. Bangor and Grand Junction may be just removed from simple services towns like Three Rivers and even Cassopolis may have. We are looking at Realtor every few days to get an idea on value and a general fell for location. Wife did spy a place today on the St Joseph River for $19K....

Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It does sound like it is better to look at real towns along or near the Detroit Amtrak line. Bangor and Grand Junction may be just removed from simple services towns like Three Rivers and even Cassopolis may have. We are looking at Realtor every few days to get an idea on value and a general fell for location. Wife did spy a place today on the St Joseph River for $19K....
ON the river for 19k? Where at? I might know the area. (I'm not in the market)

Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
ON the river for 19k? Where at? I might know the area. (I'm not in the market)
Not sure. She said it was by Wood street and Second? We aren't ready to buy today, we are still scouting. We will have a list of places to look at this summer when we are here for a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan