Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM

34 posts, read 108,317 times

Advertisements

My spouse works for GM, and she accepted a transfer to MI. We had lived in GA for 13 years - having transferred to there from CA in 1994. Prior to that we lived in TX. She has worked for GM for 21 years. My early career took us to CA and hers took us to GA & MI. I have to tell you, home is what you make it. If you identify with a state at a particular moment in time, you are bound to have lows and highs of emotions. Look at the real estate market in CA in the early 90's, we got blown away. You CAN LOSE.

I was amused when VW might leave Auburn Hills for NC, DC or NY. Let me tell you I know and have visited all of those places, and they have many great offerings, but if they think they can duplicate what they have in MI in NY or DC - ha!!! Only in NC do they have a chance. If you like Southerners, NC is great (and we are from TX born and bred).

But in MI, there are some advantages.

Here are my thoughts:

Housing:

MI, you get more for your money here. The home we bought in Sterling Heights is unbelievable. You couldn't get that in GA. Maybe TX and in CA you'd pay $1MM give me a break!!

Home Services:

Maid service and lawn care, etc. is about the same.

Insurance:

Car insurance really no different. Home insurance cheaper. We bought a home twice what we sold in GA, and the premium is the same.

Energy:

Home heating gas and electric I have to say, the electric prices are cheaper in MI. I have twice the home, but pay no different than GA. Now, I know that MI doesn't get as hot. But nevertheless, that is reality. Gas at the pump is higher in MI, but honestly, does .20 a gallon sink you? Think of the fact that if you lived in GA or TX your A/C would run non-stop from April to October.

Taxes:

MI has a lower state income tax and a higher property tax. My calculations indicate it balances out. You want lower taxes, elect Republicans and stop reelecting the same Democrats that let MI down and have convinced large numbers of people that higher taxes are worth it. Until Union employees realize they are the "rich" now, Dems will continue to thrive. No poilitician can save you from globalization. Drive thru Detroit before you repond. Overall a wash. Taxes are taxes and states get it no matter what. CA has much higher taxes. TX has higher insurance and property taxes.

Miscellaneous:

Seems like a nice place. We chuckle when we read postings about crime in one area as opposed to the other. It's all the same folks. People are people. Teens are teens.

Food:

No different than GA. Prices are high.

Jobs:

93% of the people who want to work, work in MI. In GA it's 96%. Stay focused on being nimble. Politicians can't help you. Does that matter to you? Didn't think so. What do you care about job growth. Stop focusing on macro-economics, it's not going to make you love your family more. IF you can't do what you need to do in MI - leave. What makes you think MI can help you? You may have to go elsewhere.

Things to do:

MI, by far. Wow what a beautiful state.

Thanks for reading. If you have questions, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,083 times
Welcome. We need more like you!

Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 AM

19 posts, read 90,219 times
Have you visited Mackinac Island yet? Beautiful there and no cars are allowed on the Island!

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,009 times
Every one has a right to their opinion. Here is mine, Mackinac Island? I have worked here and seen the hidden side and the tourist side, a bunch of over priced fudge flanked by trinket shops selling junk that I would not own.If you want a rubber tomahawk for your kid you can find it here. or a 20 $ hat that says Mackinac island you stand a good to excellent chance of finding several colors.
There is absolutely nothing to do on the island. and in the winter it is only workers fixing and changing for the next season of people. BTW the traffic was very low this year on the island.
It also costs more every year, the boat ride is up to 18$ per. and a bike it another 6$ per. I recommend people who have never been if you get a chance to go and it is not our of your way go, but once you have been there you don't need to go back.

As far as any one who wants to work can work, this is total bull.
When you have 10,000 people standing in line to apply for the new home depot coming in, I don't think job's are out there to be had.
I agree with the home assessment, what you now pay 100,000 for in Michigan would cost you much more anywhere else. and it will get much worse with the credit crunch and housing crunch going on, this is the only area that Michigan is leading in.
Our home values are plummeting as I type.
I disagree with the statement that Mi has more to do than any place in the south.
Arkansas and Missouri has much more beautiful land, No SNOW,Branson has millions of people visit and return every year and hundreds of shows from Andy Williams to the Osmond's.
Eureka springs makes Mackinac island look sick, with art shops and the beauty of old Victorian homes built into the rocks very neat and an original carnagy library.
South Carolina has as beautiful if not more so coast line. Charleston SC has more history by far.
Savannah has more history and things to do.
People from the south do not go to Michigan for tourism, people from the north do go to the south for tourism, I am not saying the odd person does not go north to visit.
But on average they do not, this is why Michigan is doing so bad when other states are doing so well in this hard time.
They have people visit them from other places.
Branson this summer was bumper to bumper on 76. If you did not know the alt. routs you were screwed to get around fast.
Myrtle beach was and is bumper to bumper and had more things to do in one week than Michigan has all summer.
In Charleston all you have to do is go visit the hunley and you can see and touch more history than all of Michigan put together.
I am glad you like Michigan it has some natural beauty, I am 5 generation Michigan born, But there are places in this country that have more beauty, the mountains of Arkansas,KY,TN, Michigan has nothing on.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:36 AM

111 posts, read 485,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdhen View Post
Jobs:

93% of the people who want to work, work in MI. In GA it's 96%. Stay focused on being nimble. Politicians can't help you. Does that matter to you? Didn't think so. What do you care about job growth. Stop focusing on macro-economics, it's not going to make you love your family more. IF you can't do what you need to do in MI - leave. What makes you think MI can help you? You may have to go elsewhere.
EXACTLY.. Its all about mindset, perception, and positivity. I see so many help wanted signs these days! People that are working are positive people, focused on the good Michigan offers, and in the process, the good of Michigan is delivered to them. Enough with the woes me nonsense.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,364 times
Welcome to the greatest state in the union. Lived here for almost 14 years. We've been almost everywhere in the state from the west side to Tawas City to Adrian to Lansing, Grand Rapids, Ludington (my personal favorite) and many parts of the U-P (another personal favorite). I'll be heading to Traverse City next month for the first time. As with everything else, it's up to you as to how you get accustomed to the area you live in. There are good and bad points to anywhere you live. I only hope we can stay here when I'm done school and teach in elementary school. If not I know Michigan will always be home to me.

Good luck.

Last edited by SALteacher; 08-18-2007 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 08-18-2007, 03:48 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,249 times
Quote:
Housing:

MI, you get more for your money here. The home we bought in Sterling Heights is unbelievable. You couldn't get that in GA. Maybe TX and in CA you'd pay $1MM give me a break!!
It really depends on WHERE you moved from in GA to make an accurate statement there.

Back 6 years ago when WE moved to MI, you could not buy a decent house for the same price in MI that you could in the Atlanta area. But that was 6 years ago before the bottom fell out of the MI housing market.

Quote:
Energy:

Home heating gas and electric I have to say, the electric prices are cheaper in MI. I have twice the home, but pay no different than GA. Now, I know that MI doesn't get as hot. But nevertheless, that is reality. Gas at the pump is higher in MI, but honestly, does .20 a gallon sink you? Think of the fact that if you lived in GA or TX your A/C would run non-stop from April to October.
No, but you do run your heat almost non-stop from October to April. So it makes up for the a/c.

However, MI is a great state...it's just not utopia. Glad you are enjoying yourself tho. Liz

Old 08-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Just wait until you experience your first winter. You might want to exchange the Klan outfit for a proper coat.
Looks like we got a pathetic little troll here...

Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 PM

19 posts, read 90,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasdlfkjasdfj View Post
Every one has a right to their opinion. Here is mine, Mackinac Island? I have worked here and seen the hidden side and the tourist side, a bunch of over priced fudge flanked by trinket shops selling junk that I would not own.If you want a rubber tomahawk for your kid you can find it here. or a 20 $ hat that says Mackinac island you stand a good to excellent chance of finding several colors.
There is absolutely nothing to do on the island.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and Mackinac is a tourist place so of course you will get the typical tourist stores. Maybe some go to relax. There doesn't always have to be 1,000 things to do when you go somewhere.
Arkansas? Come on. Where you a tourist or did you live there? Arkansas is nice to look at. Arkansas is not loaded with a ton of things to do. I did live there for awhile and I did live in Michigan for 18 yrs. Everyone wants something different. I would love to have some over-priced fudge because it's yummy.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Welcome to the greatest state in the union. Lived here for almost 14 years. We've been almost everywhere in the state from the west side to Tawas City to Adrian to Lansing, Grand Rapids, Ludington (my personal favorite) and many parts of the U-P (another personal favorite). I'll be heading to Traverse City next month for the first time. As with everything else, it's up to you as to how you get accustomed to the area you live in. There are good and bad points to anywhere you live. I only hope we can stay here when I'm done school and teach in elementary school. If not I know Michigan will always be home to me.

Good luck.
I couldn't spend enough time in Ludington this summer. We went twice. The UP is also a favorite of mine.

I lived in Michigan 25 years and Indiana 20...only a couple more years and I'll be back home in Michigan, no matter what is going on. I too believe it is the greatest state. I drove from Ludington to Grand Haven and then clung to Lakeshore Drives all the way to Michigan City and the golden coast is breathtaking. (You folks with Michiana vacation homes have got it on!)

Michigan will recover, because it is one of the few states that you can live and play without crossing a boarder.

I'm still amazed when I meet Hoosiers who haven't been to Michigan. I recommend a SW getaway and when they return they can't shut up about how great Michigan is.

I vacationed up north three times this summer and had a hard time returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan